Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:30:07 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Feast « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Feast  (Read 54148 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: January 20, 2007, 10:23:58 AM »

A dusty desert bar is besieged by a group of ravenous beasts that are gluttons for anything meaty.  This film helped restore my confidence in modern low-budget monster movies.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Jordan
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Thunderball Fists?! I can have such a thing?!

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 12:25:38 PM »

Hahaha. Great review Andrew. Beer Guy had a bad time of it sure, but I think Harley Mom had the worst death imagineable. LOL! Her death scene was a huge topic of conversation for at least a week at my workplace, and was probably the main reason that any of my co-workers really wanted to watch "Feast."

-----
The Vault Master
Caretaker of The B-Movie Film Vault
-----
BTM

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 02:32:10 PM »

Hahaha. Great review Andrew. Beer Guy had a bad time of it sure, but I think Harley Mom had the worst death imagineable. LOL! Her death scene was a huge topic of conversation for at least a week at my workplace, and was probably the main reason that any of my co-workers really wanted to watch "Feast."

You must work at a way cooler joint than I do.  Any of my previous jobs, I would have gotten chewed out (and possibly fired) for discussing a movie like this. 

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Jordan
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Thunderball Fists?! I can have such a thing?!

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 11:14:53 PM »

Well I'm the night manager at a grocery store and some nights it just plain dead. I'm friends with quite a few of my coworkers, so we know just how to keep things on the down-low.  Essentially this was something we all chatted about late at night before closing or when the boss man was gone for the day. Wink

As for being a cool job.... no, no it isn't. lol

-----
The Vault Master
Caretaker of The B-Movie Film Vault
-----
Yannick
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2007, 02:35:24 PM »

I dont go paying 25$ for dvds anymore unless i am sure has hell has the movie will be good.

Feast was amazingly good, and i love every minute of this movie. Cheers

garv
New Visitor

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 12:04:45 AM »

I saw Feast in a theater during its two-night release.  I loved it, and based on the audience reaction, they loved it too.  I can't imagine why the studio had so little confidence in the film that they only screened it for two nights.  Hell, Mike Judge got a better release for Idiocracy.

Anyway, it was great fun, and I hope Gulager gets another chance to direct.
Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 12:59:04 AM »

I liked it for its jaded, upending take on the cliches of horror and siege movies. It's been said elsewhere, but this was written and directed by people who have been frustrated by the things we all carp about: dumb behavior, near misses, the disposability and safety of various characters, etc.

The camerawork was fine with me too, maybe I've just come to expect it from modern films, even though I often hate it, as cameras get smaller and more portable if figures directors would use that lack of bulk and weight to their advantage. Blame Sam Raimi if you don't like it, he's probably the godfather of the use of cameras this way, look at how influential the Evil Dead films have been to a whole generation (maybe two by now) of low budget and horror films and those who make them. It fit the confusion of the situation for the characters also IMO.

I've noticed people feeling almost sorry for Beer Guy and all the stuff he goes through in the film. I don't, but I think that has more to do with him being played by Judah Friedlander, one of those annoying one and half-note performers I can't explain the career of. It's like Jim Belushi and Larry the Cable Guy had a mutant lovechild. No idea what the "real" guy is like, but this persona has always irritated me.

Corrected some spelling that misbehaved.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 01:06:40 AM by Yaddo 42 » Logged

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 12:55:52 PM »

It is surprising, or maybe not, how many other films, this one reminds me of.

"Disparate group of individuals take refuge in a building besieged by seemingly unstoppable monsters"
"Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight" Though the number of surviviors in that one were even less than in this one.

"Death of a seemingly main character within the first half of the film"
"Psycho"

"Death of a child in a horror film"
"Frankenstein" and many more films,  but it is still rare enough to be still interesting.

"Death of a child monster in a horror film"
"Descent"

"Get to truck parked outside"
"Night of the Living Dead" Almost as successful in that one as in this one.

But, if you have to borrow, you might as well borrow from the best.

I would also like to know why this got such a limited release. I don't think it even played in the town in which I presently  live. And it seems to be a much better horror film than many out there, which get a wider release.
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 01:40:31 PM »

I'm not sure why this one didn't get a wider release either.

Project Greenlight may have shed a bit of light on it though.  During the test screenings when they finished the film, people were cheering and clapping and all that while watching the film.  Then when it came time to grade the film, the opinions were less than great.  Many wanted an explanation for the creatures, and things like that.

I think that the film didn't get as good of a response from the test views as what the Weinsteins would have liked, and they decided to dump it in a few theaters and then on DVD.  It's truly a shame.  I rented the DVD the week it came out, and instantly fell in love with the film.  It's dark, gory, funny, and an all around great time.  Audiences want everything spelled out for them these days.  They don't know a good film when they see one.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2007, 02:12:51 PM »

The film was made for Dimension and got tied up in the wrangling when the Weinstein brothers left Miramax.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Torgo

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2007, 11:25:15 PM »

I borrowed Feast the other night from a friend and watched it for the 2nd time and enjoyed it a whole lot more.

The shaky camera stuff didn't annoy me nearly as much upon the subsequent viewing.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Five0two
New Visitor

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2007, 09:57:33 PM »

n00b here, but have been checking out reviews for quite awhile.

I went out and bought this movie solely on the strength of the review here, and I was not disappointed.
This movie is fantastic! The scare parts were all well and good, but it was funny as hell, too.
Even better, it seemed to me as if the hilarious parts were quite deliberate on the part of the filmmakers.
Intentionally funny in a horror movie can sometimes be just as good as unintentionally  BounceGiggle
Along with some of the influences that BoyScoutKevin listed above, I immediately noticed another:
"Riki-Oh: The Story of Riki" (Also spelled "Ricky", as in Andrew's review here.)
Anyone who's seen that movie will know what I'm talking about, and if you haven't seen it, you simply
owe it to yourself to track this one down. Completely insane over-the-top kung-fu violence.

Anywho, that's what I have to say about "Feast"  TeddyR
Panic_Attack
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2007, 11:23:18 AM »

I rented it the other night. Coughing up monster spunk while being blown to smithereens by a makeshift explosive I'm tied to is not high on my list of ways I'd want to go...but I think Beer Guy had the worst.
Patient Zero
New Visitor

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2007, 09:06:51 PM »

Feast is one of those movies that actually gets better every time you watch it, much like Hot Fuzz. There are always little details to catch that make it much more entertaining upon a second viewing.
At first, I was annoyed by the fact that no explanation was given for the monster's existence, which I percieved as lazy writing. Upon further pondering, it actually makes sense that the cratures' origin is left up to the viewer. Think about it, if you were trapped in the bar with strange beasts trying to break in, you're not going to want to know where they came from (and even if you did, there'd be no way to find out). You'd just want to get the f&%# away.
All I can tell about the monsters is that they are mammals (when the dead animal hides are removed, you still see hair on their bodies). Their reproductive system is apparently based on that of rabbits, in that the female exhibits postpartum estrus, basically the ability to give birth almost immediately following copulation.
I guess I'll have to wait for the sequels to fill me in on the origin of the monsters (and yes, Clu Gulager is returning to direct. Praise Jesus).

"A fool finds no pleasure in understanding, but delights in airing his own opinions." - Proverbs 18:2
...Thus explaining the behavior of message board trolls everywhere.
Steve-O
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2007, 01:33:06 PM »

Man, this movie was weird, but it was good actually. So damn gory and gross. Monster fans should love it!
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Feast « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.