Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 12:12:09 PM
714313 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Missing Board members « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Missing Board members  (Read 19976 times)
Scott
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2007, 09:17:31 PM »

Deej was one of my favorites. He introduced a few Erol Flynn films that I hadn't heard of and then I managed to find and watch them. Saw all the significant Flynn films due to Deej's imput.

odinn7

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2007, 11:06:40 PM »

I think about JohnL from time to time also. he was always a decent guy and I felt so bad for him when he told us all that was going on. I wished we could do something for him somehow.

I am glad that you were able to recover as well as you have menard. I was worried about you too when you told us what was going on. I expected you to disappear as JohnL did. I am glad you are here.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
Gerry
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2007, 12:47:28 PM »

Interesting discussion, and I read with curiosity the comments regarding Scifilm's board (and beg Andrew's forgiveness for reviving this derailment of his thread).

Through natural evolution Scifilm's board discussion tends to be a more serious and almost academic in it's approach to film than most boards (even treating some of the worst schlock with respect...and occasionally even reverence--sheesh!).  It's both a weakness and a strength that the regulars there represent a wide diversity in interests with a lot of specialization.  (Nobody knows more about silent SF movies than Steve Joyce for example.)

Such specialization does tend to limit discussion to a degree, because so many films written about  are simply not available to the general viewing public.  There's an awesome thread going on right now on the BBC Ghost Stories for Christmas series, but with only two posters (me and one other guy) because of their limited availability here in the states.

Like Jase said too, it's a small enough group that we've talked to death a lot of the commonalities (movies that everyone has seen) and now tend to pursue our own areas of interest, posting reviews about our discoveries.  I will say that some of the best movies I have ever seen have come to my attention based on the trusted ravings of someone on the board--movies that I would likely never have seen otherwise.

Message boards are interesting creatures.  They have personalities and life-cycles of their own, some longer than others.  Scifilm's has been a successful run regardless of what the future holds for it.  It is kind of cool that my very first two posters from 2001 when I launched the site (Andrew Kidd and Chadzilla -- Jase was an early arrival too) still drop in and post regularly. 

Of course, I still hang out here at Badmovies.org whenever I can, and I was a regular here before I conceived of launching my own site.  Andrew B is my virtual Godfather. :)
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2007, 01:44:04 PM »

Yes that's absolutely true. Chadzilla and Andrew were on the Scifilm board well before I was. Andrew knew me from Space: The Imagination Station's board located at spacecast.com, the first board I ever posted on regularly on the net towards the end of the 1990s. Andrew told me first about Scifilm and eventually I wrote a couple of reviews for the site, got to know Gerry and the rest is history. The TV Files, a major project I currently work on for Gerry's site I never really imagined would grow as big as it eventually did when I started as I thought it would be just something I'd post every then and again, something different but inspired by Dave Sindelar's Musings/Movie of the Day nevertheless.  I used to check out badmovies.org before I ever came to Scifilm for its hilarious review section. I still love that section of this site a great deal although I try and avoid reading the reviews until I've seen the film in question (spoilers you know). I never even realized badmovies.org had a message board until years later although I did on occasion speak to Andrew B. when I posted on the IMDB boards and when that went downhill, I invited Classic Camp, Dr. Mality, telegonus, IronWolfe, clore and a few others to migrate over to Scifilm. At the same time almost, Sinister Cinema's board was having troubles and many posters from there became Scifilm regulars too as well as some of those I invited from the Spacecast board. It's amazing the divergence and differences between all those folks (all of whom had more in common that many still realize to this day) and possibly I'm likely the one most responsible for putting a large part of that melting pot all together.  Still it produced a lot of memorable moments and many great threads and discussions even if some folks would eventually clash against each other enough that some now seem to unfortunately be former friends of mine.

Gerry knows his site very well. Yes many posters there take their films extremely serious, some perhaps a little too serious, some just plain stubborn and set in their ways... Some I've known to absolutely despise the very idea of people talking about, completely totally unwilling to look at or even discuss the possibility anything from the late 70s on could be any good?! But regardless Gerry tried his best to keep things civil and in the face of that, I know not how he did as well as he did.  Still it's great to see posters on the site who do give the site a bit of the old energy it used to have like the poster with whom Gerry's discussing the BBC ghost stories.

Now back to your regularly scheduled badmovies "missing posters" discussion. I apologize if I've highjacked this thread.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
peter johnson

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2007, 02:34:24 PM »

Yeah, I said awhile back that I regretted rising to Squishy's bait and calling him names -- He was, indeed, interesting --
The guy I miss the most -- unless I'm just not reading where he's posting/maybe he's still here & I just don't see him, is Vermin.
Vermin had a band called Demons of Stupidity, and, for a young guy, had a depth of knowledge on strange music and even stranger movies that I just got the biggest kick out of.
Real bright guy -- Anyone seen Vermin?
peter johnson/denny crane

I have no idea what this means.
raj

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2007, 08:56:38 PM »

Susan's another one we haven't heard from in a long time.  IIRC, she was having some trouble with a coworker/stalker right before she quit posting.  I've always hoped that things worked out for her.

BlackAngel was another one -- I think he was a subway conductor in NY, and was in line to possibly go to Iraq at some point.
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2007, 09:09:55 PM »

Of course, I still hang out here at Badmovies.org whenever I can, and I was a regular here before I conceived of launching my own site.  Andrew B is my virtual Godfather. :)

Are you calling me fat?

The guy I miss the most -- unless I'm just not reading where he's posting/maybe he's still here & I just don't see him, is Vermin.
Vermin had a band called Demons of Stupidity, and, for a young guy, had a depth of knowledge on strange music and even stranger movies that I just got the biggest kick out of.
Real bright guy -- Anyone seen Vermin?

It has been a good six months since Vermin posted, but he last used his account in November.  He definitely is missed, because I can remember that he always had something interesting to say - be it an opinion or straight information.

Susan's another one we haven't heard from in a long time.  IIRC, she was having some trouble with a coworker/stalker right before she quit posting.  I've always hoped that things worked out for her.

Susan was around pretty recently, within the last month.  She had posted in the thread about "The Descent."  I know she was working on moving apartments.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Gerry
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2007, 12:46:37 PM »

Are you calling me fat?

Uh...does this mean I'm going to find a horse's head in my bed?
Andrew
Administrator

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2007, 12:50:32 PM »

Are you calling me fat?

Uh...does this mean I'm going to find a horse's head in my bed?

That's an awful lot of meat to saw through.  Do you have something smaller around the house, like a cat or hamster?

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Gerry
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2007, 01:13:59 PM »

Do you have something smaller around the house

Children...
Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?

It's neVer over!

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2007, 02:44:29 PM »

Hmm, has anyone borught up LH-C yet?

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2007, 03:35:25 PM »

I have a vague memory of AndyC gettinga  new job and moving to some small town in the great white north.  Or is that someone else?  He also wrote telling us about NORAD a few months ago.
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
dean

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2007, 02:57:38 AM »

I have a vague memory of AndyC gettinga  new job and moving to some small town in the great white north.  Or is that someone else?  He also wrote telling us about NORAD a few months ago.
-Ed

Yeah, I remember the photo he posted of his new backyard, which was a very picturesque view.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2007, 04:30:52 PM »

You know, I have not seen Daveblackeye around lately, either.  He used to live in the town where I work, but I don't know if he finished school or not.   
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Andrew
Administrator

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2007, 04:40:43 PM »

Daveblackeye has been around.  Looking at his profile, he was here today and posted.  He might just be posting in threads you are not following.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Missing Board members « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.