Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 06:08:48 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Your Favorite Time-Life Commercials? « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Your Favorite Time-Life Commercials?  (Read 34102 times)
Menard
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2007, 08:11:31 PM »

I think the commercial was for Civil War history books.  It was out in the 80's and all I can remember is a bunch of rednecks getting ready to fight.  One of them says, "Wanta rassle for it?"  My younger brother and I use to crack up.

Was that the Time-Life books or the collector cards?

I remember the collector card sets where they would send you what was basically a recipe card holder and about 12 or 24 cards a month; apparently randomly sorted. The cards were about the size of a large recipe card and were available on subjects such as World War II, Sports, American History, (I believe) The Civil War, and a host of other subjects; apparently including recipes TeddyR.

This was late 70s to early 80s and they ran commercials about father and son talking sports and competing for who gets what card, and I somehow seem to recall either two brothers (or whatever they were) arm wrestling, or perhaps challenging each other to wrestling, over a particular card.

I had the World War II set and didn't even fill half the box before I realized how dang expensive it would be to continue collecting the cards. They were pretty much a bottomless pit.
Katie
B-Movie Widow
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2007, 08:21:52 PM »

Menard...these were definitely not cards.  The two men rassling were adults and I think it was over gold or something. 
Menard
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2007, 09:08:18 PM »

The two men rassling were adults and I think it was over gold or something. 

Somebody sounds Southern. TeddyR
Katie
B-Movie Widow
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2007, 09:21:47 PM »

Southern, Cantucky! 
Menard
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2007, 09:27:32 PM »

The correct spelling too. TeddyR

London-Somerset area?
Yaddo 42
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2007, 05:52:09 AM »

Maybe one of those Civil War chess sets that they advertised the hell out of back then?  Franklin Mint Civil War Commemorative plates perhaps? Tre' 80s.

One of my uncles had the entire Time-Life WWII series of books. I think it was between 24-30 books. He was very proud of them and treated them like they were a leatherbound first edition scholarly library, no idea if he read them all. Then again he is the prime demographic for the Hitler History Channel. He's disappointed they don't show more WWII shows.

My cousin had those card sets, must have been several or he had a large world history/American history/general knowledge set. On the one hand I liked looking through all of them for the illustrations, but found the info sparse beyond some dates, names, and numbers (say casualties from battles, sports stats, etc.) and lacking context. Probably too much to ask from cards, but we and some of the relatives had encyclopedias I always had my nose in.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Your Favorite Time-Life Commercials? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.