Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:35:00 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Jim Jones and Allie Fox: The Mosquito Coast & Jonestown « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Jim Jones and Allie Fox: The Mosquito Coast & Jonestown  (Read 6732 times)
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« on: January 23, 2007, 07:38:31 AM »

I watched The Mosquito Coast earlier.
It's probably my all time favorite Harrison Ford film.

I've owned it on DVD for a few years now and have watched it at least 4-5 times, but during this most recent viewing, I watched it in a different frame of mind.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had never heard of Jim Jones or the Jonestown Massacre until about a month ago. 
Being a big history buff, you'd think I would've learned about this man and the tragedy he created years ago, but I didn't.
Somehow, everything about him and that awful incident slipped through the cracks for me.
I stumbled across the article about him over at Wikipedia on one of my 3-4 hour long Wiki-binges and was completely riveted by the story of Jonestown.

For those of you who have never heard of him or Jonestown...and to truly understand what I'm talking about...Read this
It's a bit long but very informative.

Watch this short video Small | Large

There's another longer video on Youtube that I debated whether or not to post because it's quite explicit and graphic. 
Ultimately, I decided not to.
If you want to watch it, do a search for "Jim Jones and the Jonestown Tragedy" on Youtube.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While watching The Mosquito Coast, I couldn't help but draw parallels between the two men...the fictional character of Allie Fox played by Harrison Ford and the real life Jim Jones.
Both men were charismatic leaders who took their "families" out to the jungle in the middle of nowhere to live in what they deemed to be "paradise".
Each shared an intense love/dislike for the United States.
What Allie thinks about America Small | Large

Both accepted blacks and other minorities into their communities as equals.
In the film and in real life, their followers and families both called them "Father".
They both made everyone work their asses off to create what they considered to be the ideal utopian society. 
Jones in Jonestown...and Fox in the fictional town of Geronimo.

Watch this video of Allie Fox trying to inspire everyone to help create his vision of how society should be and building it Small | Large

For both men, that dream of the perfect society ultimately crumbles before them and in the end, both end up dead.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have to believe that Paul Theroux, the author of the 1982 novel "The Mosquito Coast" deliberately based the character of Allie Fox after Jones.

He made some big changes though.
Whereas Jones was a minister, Fox hates religion and ministers.  Fox is actually shot by a minister in the film.
watch this short clip of Fox having dinner with the minister and his wife Small | Large

I debated whether to put this in the Good Movie section but decided against it.
I just felt the need to point out the many similarities that these two men share.

Had you ever heard of Jim Jones and Jonestown?
Have you ever seen The Mosquito Coast?

Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 01:02:20 PM by Ashthecat » Logged
raj

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 09:55:31 AM »

Never heard of it?  Wow.  I don't mean to be negative, just that I remember when it happened.  Kinda scary to think now there's a whole generation of adults who weren't around for it.

History Channel's been showing a program on Jonestown recently.  It's pretty good, they've even got Jones' son on.

I'll never forget the images from a helicopter of the hundreds of dead bodies scattered around.

yet another reason why the 1970s sucked.
BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 10:29:44 AM »

I just learned of Jim Jones last semester in college and I'm in my 4th year.

Never seen the  The Mosquito Coast sound interesting. Might have to check it out

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 12:37:28 PM »

I'm not exactly sure why discussion of a movie is in the off-topic section, but oh well...

Anyhoo, I too remember when the Jim Jones event took place.  It's interesting, but there is a popular radio talk show host who often comments that for many people, history begins they day they were born.

Another thing I find interesting about THE MOSQUITO COAST (loved the movie, btw), is that it was directed by Peter Weir.  Peter also gave us MASTER AND COMMANDER as well as that cinematic gem THE CARS THAT ATE PARIS.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Jim Jones and Allie Fox: The Mosquito Coast & Jonestown « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.