Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:25:08 AM
712924 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Favorite Vietnam War Films? « previous next »
Poll
Question: Database Poll: Favorite Vietnam War Film?
Green Berets - 0 (0%)
Platoon - 1 (3.1%)
Apocalypse Now - 10 (31.3%)
Full Metal Jacket - 16 (50%)
Hamburger Hill - 1 (3.1%)
Purple Hearts - 0 (0%)
Deer Hunter - 0 (0%)
The Siege Of Firebase Gloria - 0 (0%)
Bullit In The Head - 1 (3.1%)
The Losers - 0 (0%)
We Were Soldiers - 3 (9.4%)
Total Voters: 32

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Favorite Vietnam War Films?  (Read 34021 times)
rebel_1812
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2007, 11:01:22 PM »

Ever see "Sunset Boulevard"??
Webb does a grand Beatnik free-fellow that would put Jack Kerouac to shame --
which makes the movie even more perverse . . .
It is fun to see Jack Webb in SUNSET BOULEVARD and his presence adds to the film, perhaps not only in his sex appeal to Nancy Olson compared with William Holden . . .  TongueOut 

Apocalypse Now immersed the audience in its dark vision of the jungle war.
I think the same could be said of PLATOON.  DEER HUNTER has some intense scenes in the jungle, but not many minutes of true warfare; it also had some gorgeous music by Stanley Myers. 

I think I'll vote for FULL METAL JACKET as just the best offered; it's like two movies.  1) Who Matthew Modine is before Vincent D’Onofrio and 2) Who Matthew Modine is after . . .

Some films missing from the discussion:
COMING HOME
STREAMERS
THE BOYS IN COMPANY C
ROLLING THUNDER
GOOD MORNING VIETNAM
All have something to recommend them. 

Great thread! 

Platoon was really good too.  I think a big reason it was so good was the performance of Charlie Sheen.

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2007, 12:32:34 AM »

Platoon was really good too.  I think a big reason it was so good was the performance of Charlie Sheen.

I really don't care for Charlie Sheen, but you are probably right.  I forgot to mention CASUALTIES OF WAR, believe it or not I was thinking of Michael J. Fox who I greatly admire, but neglected to mention his Vietnam War film. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
ghouck
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2007, 12:57:54 PM »

Apocalypse now, I had never seen that film until a couple years ago, , , can't believe what I was missing. Next I'd say platoon, , FMJ has a cheesy, almost cliche' feel to it, I don't care for it much compared to A.N and platoon. Casualties of War was a great film also.

There's another called "84C MoPic" that, if memory serves, is pretty good. I've only seen it once, and although I remember liking it alot, have almost forgotten about it until now.
-Greg

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
rebel_1812
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2007, 01:47:52 PM »

I really don't care for Charlie Sheen, but you are probably right.  I forgot to mention CASUALTIES OF WAR, believe it or not I was thinking of Michael J. Fox who I greatly admire, but neglected to mention his Vietnam War film. 

see I had trouble see Micheal J. Fox in a serious role.  Maybe its typecasting, but I just couldn't take him seriously even though the situation was serious.

trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2007, 06:52:01 PM »

Hey Scott, you left out The Losers!! Bikers fighting the Viet Cong, can't beat that.  But seriously, Apocalypse Now really took me in with it's surrealism the first time I saw it at the theater.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
batty007
New Visitor

« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2007, 11:37:46 AM »

I had to vote for "Full Metal Jacket", because it is my favorite good Viet Nam movie. But given that I am in here due to my love of Bad Cinema, I must say that My Favorite ever is called "Combat Shock" (aka "American Nightmare") It was a Troma release and can still be obtained from them (I hope).  It concerns a returning nam vet, complete with an annoying wife, mutant baby right out of "Eraserhead", and a large heroin habit. Ricky is not adjusting back in the world, and keeps having awesome "Nam Flashbacks" featuring vampires and bloodshed. The scene where the junkie hasn't an outfit so he opens a vein with a rusty coat hanger and pours the heroin in is worth the price of the video.
Oldskool138
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2007, 02:00:11 PM »

I picked Full Metal Jacket.  I'm a huge Kubrick fan and I think that other than Paths of Glory it's the best anti-war movie out there.  Watch it again and then tell me that the war going on now is not like Vietnam.  (Note: I'm a vet and I'm against the war).  Sure, the first half has been  quoted into a joke but it's still great.

He learned almost too late that man is a feeling creature... and because of it, the greatest in the universe........
-Dr. Paul Nelson (Peter Graves)

That gum you like is going to come back in style.
-The Man from Another Place
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2007, 10:28:35 PM »

I picked Full Metal Jacket.  I'm a huge Kubrick fan and I think that other than Paths of Glory it's the best anti-war movie out there.  Watch it again and then tell me that the war going on now is not like Vietnam.  (Note: I'm a vet and I'm against the war).  Sure, the first half has been  quoted into a joke but it's still great.
I applaud you. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
rebel_1812
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2007, 12:37:01 PM »

I had to vote for "Full Metal Jacket", because it is my favorite good Viet Nam movie. But given that I am in here due to my love of Bad Cinema, I must say that My Favorite ever is called "Combat Shock" (aka "American Nightmare") It was a Troma release and can still be obtained from them (I hope).  It concerns a returning nam vet, complete with an annoying wife, mutant baby right out of "Eraserhead", and a large heroin habit. Ricky is not adjusting back in the world, and keeps having awesome "Nam Flashbacks" featuring vampires and bloodshed. The scene where the junkie hasn't an outfit so he opens a vein with a rusty coat hanger and pours the heroin in is worth the price of the video.

yeah combat shock is a cool movie, most Troma films are.

StackAttack
Dedicated Viewer

I came here to kick ass and chew bubblegum...

« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2007, 09:44:12 AM »

i wanted to pick Meet the Feebles but i guess puppets having flashbacks from other movies isnt enough to call that a Vietnam movie (j/k)
Potato king
Dedicated Viewer

ölöm

« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2007, 03:57:43 AM »

All movies on the list are great, but I had to go with "Apocalypse. Now." just because of the mood in the film. It's just so dark and dreamlike, unreal, creeping anxiety that haunts you through the film. And music in the film is just marvelous, it helps contain the mood and is very enjoyable.  This is truly one of those movies that blow your mind and make you truly think about life, death and all other eternal questions. Five stars plus
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2007, 09:26:37 AM »

I can watch APOCALYPSE NOW at any moment it comes on. Great film effort by Coppola.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2007, 08:19:00 PM »

I think WE WERE SOLDIERS (2002) should be on the list...it's on of my favorite war movies of all time...any war.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Nick
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2007, 03:09:20 AM »

I liked "Thou Shall not kill..Except". Classic. Not really a full on vietnam flick, but an amuzing story about a couple vets after the war vs a bunch of freaks led by Sam Raimi! Very hilarious schlock action. Definitly get the DVD as I hear the vhs is unwatchable, plus great commentary by Bruce Campbell and the director...As for the movies listed.. I don't know about calling it my favorite, but Apocalypse now I have seen oodles of times and im still captivated everytime. They are all great movies in their own rite though. Sorry can't spell at 4AM
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2021, 04:28:48 PM »

We Were Soldiers. It was too long but it was also deep because it was based on reality.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Favorite Vietnam War Films? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.