Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:22:30 PM
712918 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Favorite Kubrick Film « previous next »
Poll
Question: Which is your favorite Kubrick Film?
Paths of Glory - 1 (2.8%)
Spartacus - 0 (0%)
Lolita - 0 (0%)
Dr. Strangelove - 6 (16.7%)
2001: A Space Odyssey - 11 (30.6%)
A Clockwork Orange - 7 (19.4%)
Barry Lyndon - 1 (2.8%)
The Shining - 6 (16.7%)
Full Metal Jacket - 3 (8.3%)
Eyes Wide Shut - 1 (2.8%)
Total Voters: 35

Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Favorite Kubrick Film  (Read 35232 times)
clockworkcanary
Bad Movie Lover

« on: January 26, 2007, 11:44:08 AM »

Which Kubrick Film do you like the most?  I personally like FMJ, The Shining, 2001, Dr. Strangelove a whole hell of a lot but I must say that Eyes Wide Shut is my favorite, although I'm positive I'm in the minority on that.

Note: I didn't include any of Kubrick's work before Paths of Glory but if you like one of those the best, please feel free to elaborate.

Join us as we discuss all things schlock at Three Knock Theater podcast:

Facebook Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/197572800347267/

Youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrLYkyXabfSwpcRQjhUMErQ
Him
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 11:46:41 AM »

As a space movie buff I like 2001: A Space Odyssey.
Mr_Vindictive
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 12:22:31 PM »

I like all of Kubrick's films, actually.  I had to vote for The Shining though, as it was my first foray into Kubrick's work and it still remains my favorite.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
raj

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 12:33:00 PM »

Top three are Clockwork Orange, Strangelove and 2001.
To pick just one, it's 2001.
I got to see this in the theater circa 1991ish, when they refurbished it.  Beautiful cinematography, I don't own this on DVD, my tv wouldn't do it justice.
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 01:00:48 PM »

2001 is my favourite but DR. STRANGELOVE, PATHS OF GLORY and THE KILLING aren't too far behind.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2007, 01:04:55 PM »

Oh man, tough call.  I had to go with 2001, though.

When I was 18, I was in the hospital with SOMETHING wrong with my heart.  The first night I was alone (long story, but my family was not there). It was very scarey.  A really kind nurse came and sat with me; she did her paperwork in my room so I would not be alone.

Anyway, that night I watched 2001.  I'd seen it before (this was early 1984), but there was just something beautifully nilihistic about being literally scared to death about my condition and HAL talking trash.  I love that movie.

The next morning, my heart actually DID stop; I kept up the stellar heartbeat of 5 per minute for over five minutes.  Dunno if I was revived, but when I woke up, the room was full of people in white coats.  It was truly one of the wierdest things I've ever lived through.  It's all okay now, I guess, but 2001 remains a gentle reminder of the path taken to get here now.

Wild, how a movie can have such an impact.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2007, 03:15:45 PM »

This is a tough call but I went with Clockwork Orange. Out off all the ones up there I have seen, ClockworK hits me on a more personal level.

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

clockworkcanary
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2007, 03:31:27 PM »

Oh man, tough call.  I had to go with 2001, though.

When I was 18, I was in the hospital with SOMETHING wrong with my heart.  The first night I was alone (long story, but my family was not there). It was very scarey.  A really kind nurse came and sat with me; she did her paperwork in my room so I would not be alone.

Anyway, that night I watched 2001.  I'd seen it before (this was early 1984), but there was just something beautifully nilihistic about being literally scared to death about my condition and HAL talking trash.  I love that movie.

The next morning, my heart actually DID stop; I kept up the stellar heartbeat of 5 per minute for over five minutes.  Dunno if I was revived, but when I woke up, the room was full of people in white coats.  It was truly one of the wierdest things I've ever lived through.  It's all okay now, I guess, but 2001 remains a gentle reminder of the path taken to get here now.

Wild, how a movie can have such an impact.

Wow Ulthar, that is some story.  I guess it would have a hell of an impact.   Glad you're still around btw.   Talk about watching an epic story while having an epic monumental event huh?

Facebook Group:

Youtube channel:
clockworkcanary
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2007, 03:40:03 PM »

I'll try to leave my comments for EWS in my thread/review for that film but I want to say that I love Dr. Strangelove - absolutely hilarious.  My previous roommate hated it just because it was in black n white (haha but then he thought the Day After Tomorrow was a great film so there ya go). 

The Shining was a kick ass flick too, but I like it in different ways, of course.  Watching Jack convert back to the savage ape was pretty twisted.  And then there's FMJ, a pretty kick ass Nam flick.  And of course, gotta love 2001.  I've yet to watch Barry Lyndon and some of Kubrick's older stuff though, I admit.  I did recently find Barry Lyndon on VHS so whenever I get the extra 3 hours I plan to watch it. 

What's cool is all the common themes across his movies - especially the symbolism.  I plan to go into this in much more detail once I get done with the EWS recap and actually start the essay part of my review, mainly because it makes references to most, if not all of his other work.  One thing I've noticed is that Kubrick loved having scenes in the bathroom.  I know, strange symbolism there but it's true.  EWS starts in the bathroom, the Shining has Jack conversing with a ghost in the bathroom, and who could forget the bathroom scene in FMJ? 

My least favorite so far is ACO mainly because I detest certain types of scenes, however I do like the whole Operant and Classical Conditioning experiments and attempts at social engineering the film comments on.  I was cured alright :)

Facebook Group:

Youtube channel:
Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?

It's neVer over!

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2007, 03:52:58 PM »

Stanley Kubrick is one of my favorite directors, it's like everything he does is a masterpiece! He's covered just about every genre with that level of skill. Full Metal Jacket is the best I can think of right now. Action, drama, a morbid comedy, all with a certain message. A true classic and one of the best films overall!

I might have liked Dr. Strangelove the best, but they shoulda' kept the first ending! "Mein fuhrer, I can walk!" was a copout, especially when the original would have had the line anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2007, 07:41:55 PM »

Kubrick is proof of QUALITY not QUANITY ... with only having Directed 16 films I don't think a single one was a loser.

My choice FMJ ... but they are all great.

peter johnson

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2007, 01:31:05 AM »

I voted for "Paths of Glory", even though "2001" is such an epic Epic . . .
"Paths of Glory" just has that feeling of being from another era/like it could have been shot during the First World War.
Plus, few directors have gotten such a great performance out of Kirk Douglas.
In my youth, we watched "Clockwork Orange" over and over again.  We got the Wendy Carlos(Walter Carlos?!?!) soundtrack recordings (There were 2 completely different ones) and would listen to them in our dorm rooms.
However, in time, I came to see that "Paths . .." was the more difficult film to make and therefore a better movie.
peter kubrick/denny mcdowell

I have no idea what this means.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2007, 09:22:11 AM »

the SHINING,followed by DR.STRANGELOVE,then CLOCKWORK ORANGE....but all are great.Did he make a movie that wasn't great?

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Him
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2007, 04:32:49 PM »

.Did he make a movie that wasn't great?

Spartacus
Fausto
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2007, 08:03:12 PM »

A Clockwork Orange, then 2001 A Space Oddysey, then Eyes Wide Shut. My movies have to take me somewhere I've never been before, and Kubrick's movies do that. I even named a pet cockatiel Stanley after him.

"When I die, I hope you will use my body creatively." - Shin Chan

"Tonight, we will honor the greatest writers in America with a modest 9 by 12 certificate and a check for three thousand dollars...three thousand dollars? Stephen King makes more than that for writing boo on a cocktail napkin." - Jimmy Breslin
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Favorite Kubrick Film « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.