Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 09:01:42 AM
712939 Posts in 53041 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Skips and errors « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Skips and errors  (Read 11922 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2007, 06:47:45 PM »

Just be careful if you are looking to play PAL video format DVDs (a lot of Region 2 fit this).  The United States and Japan use NTSC, while the UK and a number of others use PAL.  You need to have a PAL to NTSC converter built into the player.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
dean

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2007, 06:22:36 AM »

Some of the newer discs that are being released are designed for newer DVD players that can handle the upgraded discs (yes there is a difference between the disc format they used a few years ago and now for some discs - cannot recall the names offhand but it's sometimes described and explained on some of those Brentwood releases in their DVD Dictionary sections). In some cases, an older player will have troubles playing said discs. As I understand it, this is the case with the Universal releases which may very well play fine on another DVD Player.

What you might be talking about there is "Dual Layer" discs JaseSF.  A newer format of dvd as JaseSF mentioned, Dual Layer Dvds can have trouble playing on some older style dvd players.  Most of the time a firmware upgrade will solve the problem, but at work we occasionally need to send a player away to replace the drive completely.

A dvd player not suited to handling these dvds will just refuse to read them, not skip them [as far as I know].

The only trouble I've ever had with my dvds are ones which are scratched in just the wrong place, or copied dvds on a poor quality transfer.

Hmmm... its funny but most dvds players released here are quite easy to or come standard as multi-zoned, and most do both PAL and NTSC...

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2007, 12:45:33 PM »

There's a difference in the DVDs, some of it may have to do with dual-layering yes. Some of the newer DVDs (called I believe DVD18s or is it DVD25s? I can never seem to remember) move at a faster speed in your player and supposedly have more storage room for information (at least I think that's what it is)...anyways to put it basically some newer DVD players are better equipped to deal with these newer DVD formats (which I believe Universal in particular has adpoted) than older players.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?

It's neVer over!

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2007, 10:37:25 AM »

Hey, thought you guys might need an update in order to get to sleep tonight. Good news, I got my new Alone in the Dark yesterday and this one works just fine. Thumbup

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Skips and errors « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.