Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:43:31 AM
713331 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Recent DVD Purchases « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Recent DVD Purchases  (Read 5926 times)
Torgo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2007, 09:15:36 PM »

I watched "Galaxina" last night to start working on the review (and stayed up until about 0100 doing that).  The new print is good, better than the Rhino DVD release.  However, I am wondering about the widescreen bit.  Some things still looked chopped, so I am wondering if it is just hacked full screen.  If I get a chance tonight, I will try to compare the two DVDs.

From the IMDB:

Technical Specifications for
Galaxina (1980)
Laboratory
DeLuxe

Film negative format (mm/video inches)
35 mm

Cinematographic process
Panavision (anamorphic)

Printed film format
35 mm

Aspect ratio
2.35 : 1

So, it should be true widescreen on the DVD.  Haven't seen that movie for years BTW.  I remember it being cool back in the day.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Torgo

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2007, 09:18:45 PM »

I also found this bit of information, Andrew, for the Rhino Galaxina DVD from a review.

Image Transfer Review: I don't really know what to say about this transfer other than, "what were they thinking?" The image is murky, faded and just poor overall. The contrast is completely off, there is a ton of streaking (check out any of the space sequences with streamers following all the stars—there is no point really analysing the quality here because there is none to speak of. This was obviously mastered off an old analog source, as the transfer is ripe with analog video artifacts. Perhaps if they had run over the source a few times with a truck they could have at least made it look vintage.

As for the aspect ratio, here is where it gets interesting. First, this was a 2.35:1 film shot in Panavision, but the DVD is rendered at 1.85:1 (except for two shots, which are at the correct ratio!) Throughout the DVD they are reframing the 1.85 image, sometimes including the full 2.35 frame (resulting in a horizontally squeezed look), other times they zoom into the frame at 1.85:1 (cutting off the edges) and other times they have zoomed into a 1.33:1 image while still using 1.85:1 as the master. Second, the disc is anamorphic, though it was really tough to tell whether this was intentional or not on first viewing, or whether they had originally done a straight transfer from an anamorphic print and zoomed in on it. The film opens with a shaky zoomed in logo which is followed by a section where you actually see them horizontally compressing the picture to fit (most) of the intended width of the frame. The image is a mess, and I have seen better 10-year-old VHS tapes. Bad, really bad!

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
raj

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2007, 06:21:12 PM »

Andrew, Femalien is not family viewing -- the scene at the end with Jacquiline Lovell and Venesa Taylor -- wow  TongueOut  TongueOut ! Fun little softcore movie, the sequel is just as good/bad.

I need to see Videodrome again.  I taped it years ago, then taped over it for some reason, I love Debby Harry.
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2007, 06:27:23 PM »

I think that I first saw "Femalien" on late night cable (had to be Skinemax) with a friend, Steve, many years ago.  I do all of my movie watching after the kids are in bed.  Thought it would be safe to watch "Dogora" when Jenna was around one time.  She was scared of clouds for about a week, though I turned it off soon as I saw that she was paying attention to the movie and it was upsetting her.

Planning on making some popcorn and watching "Videodrome" tonight. 

On the subject of Deborah Harry:  she did the singing for the main female character in "Rock & Rule."  Not certain if you know about that animated film.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
raj

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2007, 08:10:39 PM »

Hadn't heard about Rock & Rule, thanks for the tip.
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Recent DVD Purchases « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.