Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:36:35 AM
714230 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Comfort Movies? « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Comfort Movies?  (Read 9631 times)
Egg
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2007, 11:00:27 AM »

Logan's Run
Dennis
Yes, it's true, absolutely true. I am a
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2007, 01:09:14 PM »

For us it's been Shogun, if it's a long weekend, but for me personally there are three movies, Godzilla (original), Rodan, and Godzilla 1985. I can remember laying on the living room floor with my 7 year old daughter, both of us covered by a blanket (to protect us from the monsters), eating chips and popcorn and generally having a lot of fun. Now watching any one of these films brings that memory back and makes me feel warm and comfortable.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 01:23:40 PM by DENNIS » Logged

Reach for the heavens in hope for the future for all that we can be, not what we are. Henry John Deutschendorf Jr.
jjnewberry
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2007, 01:51:52 PM »

I would nominate What's Eating Gilbert Grape as my number one comfort movie. My second choice might be City of the Lost Children
BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2007, 02:20:06 PM »

The first GhostBusters, some of my old Godzilla VHS (none specific) and Suburbia for some reason.

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

Fausto
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2007, 03:40:35 PM »

Right now I'm home with a major cold, so it would be a good day to figure out a good comfort movie. Since it was my day off anyway, I was going to write a review for a mexican horror flick, but I might rethink that plan.

Incidentally, if anybody knows a way to get rid of a nasty cold, I'm all ears. Bluesad

"When I die, I hope you will use my body creatively." - Shin Chan

"Tonight, we will honor the greatest writers in America with a modest 9 by 12 certificate and a check for three thousand dollars...three thousand dollars? Stephen King makes more than that for writing boo on a cocktail napkin." - Jimmy Breslin
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2007, 04:07:49 PM »

Any good-spirited classic comedy (and in some cases not so classic). Basically anything halfway good or better featuring Abbott and Costello, the Marx Brothers, the Three Stooges, Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton, the Beach Party Gang or Sandra Dee.  I also find Blade Runner and the Patlabor anime films strangely comforting on some level.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Menard
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2007, 04:17:50 PM »

Incidentally, if anybody knows a way to get rid of a nasty cold, I'm all ears. Bluesad

With a cold, what you primarily want to do is keep up your nutrients, being that your body will lose them at a faster rate due to the cold.

Juices (e.g. orange juice, V8, etc.) and soups (tomato, chicken noodle, cheddar broccoli, etc.) make for convenient nutritional sources which are easy to digest without taxing your body's energy (a full meal requires more digestion and thusly is why we feel tired after eating). If you drink milk, it can do your body good as well.

Supplements you can take include Calcium/Magnesium tablets and multivitamins. Calcium and magnesium, despite the association with bones, are also two of the primary constituents of the muscles and the supplement can help to allay muscle aches (this supplement is commonly used for night cramps as well). When ill, I will cut a multivitamin in half and take a half of one every two to four hours; yes, it is more than the recommended dose, but when ill, you are losing nutrients at a greater rate and this is simply for no other purpose than to replenish lost nutrients and nothing else.

If you are taking aspirin, and I am specifically referring to aspirin, for aches and pains, you could use a vitamin C supplement. Aspirin causes the body to lose vitamin C. The supplement is not so much to replace the lost vitamin C, but, as the body loses vitamin C before it rids itself of aspirin, extra vitamin C will, theoretically, allow the aspirin to stay in the body longer and be more effective. If you drink orange juice and are taking the multivitamins, you should be getting plenty of vitamin C from that alone.

Don't forget to drink a glass of water ever now and them. Even with the juices, it is still good to have plain water to keep yourself hydrated.

The old addage to fight a cold with plenty of fluids, rest, and an apple a day pretty much holds up. It basically means to keep yourself hydrated, keep up your energy, and keep up your nutrients.

Zap may pop in with some more useful advice than what I can provide.
Poogie
Bad Movie Lover

uuummmmmm.....BOO!

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2007, 04:43:40 PM »

I was going to suggest Sudafed, but now I'm not sure....Menard seemed to cover all the bases...Sudafed clears me up pretty good....Hope you feel better soon...I HATE GETTING SICK... Question

Boogie...Boogie...Boogie...Boogie...  
Menard
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2007, 04:50:11 PM »

Sudafed is great when you have head congestion; and that often accompanies a cold. It is unfortunate that we have to put up with the new BS in trying to purchase it; good grief, it's an over the counter drug and you have to provide everything but a blood and urine sample to get it.
jjnewberry
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2007, 05:56:14 PM »

Another 'Comfort Film' for me would have to be the original Dawn of the Dead. There's just something comforting about being trapped in the Monroeville Mall with a bunch of Romero Zombies way back in 1978.
Fausto
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2007, 10:14:11 PM »

Thanks, you guys are awesome. I have a bottle of sunny delight, several pacages of ramen noodles, a bottle of Acetominophen tablets and a DVD copy of Bad Taste. I should feel better in no time.

"When I die, I hope you will use my body creatively." - Shin Chan

"Tonight, we will honor the greatest writers in America with a modest 9 by 12 certificate and a check for three thousand dollars...three thousand dollars? Stephen King makes more than that for writing boo on a cocktail napkin." - Jimmy Breslin
Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2007, 06:09:20 AM »

There is the old folk remedy of whisky, honey, and lemon. Combine the three and swallow a spoonful when ever you feel a cough or sneeze coming on. That's the way we did it when I was little.

An old timer I used to know used to say the real remedy was to suck lemon, throw away the honey, and drink the whisky then go to sleep until you feel better.

On second thought listen to Menard. I've had like one major cold in almost three years and don't know what the hell I'm talking about. I may just print this thread to get his advice down for the next time I get sick. I'm overdue.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
Dennis
Yes, it's true, absolutely true. I am a

I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2007, 12:46:14 PM »

There is the old folk remedy of whisky, honey, and lemon. Combine the three and swallow a spoonful when ever you feel a cough or sneeze coming on. That's the way we did it when I was little.

An old timer I used to know used to say the real remedy was to suck lemon, throw away the honey, and drink the whisky then go to sleep until you feel better.

On second thought listen to Menard. I've had like one major cold in almost three years and don't know what the hell I'm talking about. I may just print this thread to get his advice down for the next time I get sick. I'm overdue.

I've found that a couple shots of Jim Beam works really well, you'll still have a cold, but you won't care, you'll feel better, and it's easier to go to sleep.

Reach for the heavens in hope for the future for all that we can be, not what we are. Henry John Deutschendorf Jr.
jjnewberry
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2007, 01:00:47 PM »

well, I would suggest staying away from the booze altogether because you don't want to get dehydrated. you do need to drink lots of fludis but the hard stuff doesn't really help. if you want to sleep take some liquid NyQuill or something like that. drink oj, cran, ginger ale & lots of H20.
quabrot
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2007, 02:05:15 AM »

Just found Zoolander playing on Comedy Central. 

I can't understand why I love it as much as I do...
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Comfort Movies? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.