Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:40:43 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Planet of the Apes « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Planet of the Apes  (Read 26395 times)
raj
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: February 04, 2007, 03:06:02 PM »

Just watched it on History Channel last night (the original, not the atrocious remake).  What a great movie, I think someone should do a sequel.  TeddyR
Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?

It's neVer over!

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 08:15:04 PM »

You mean to the original? There were actually 4 (3 of them prequels in a way), and I don't think the remake was that bad!

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2007, 08:26:58 PM »

Ah, but I do love this one.  Not only does it have a simple message, but it is also perversely funny.  Seeing a talking gorilla spray Charlton Heston with a fire house, with the ape yelling, "Shut up you freak!" and Heston screaming, "It's a mad house!" is awesome.

Review here:
http://www.badmovies.org/movies/planetapes/index.html

"Beneath the Planet of the Apes" is entertaining in a b-movie sort of way.  Did you like how long it took the poor man's Heston to figure out he was in a New York subway tunnel?

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
odinn7

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2007, 11:19:25 PM »

The original is one of my favorite films...I loved it as a kid and still do. Great stuff.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
raj

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 09:03:18 AM »

I'd swear that the subway in Beneath looked better than some current lines in NY's system.

In the 1970s WABC in New York would have the 4:30 movie -- so after school I'd get to watch a movie before supper.  They'd occasionally have a Planet of the Apes week where they'd run all of the Planet movies throughout the week.  I'm sure they chopped up the movies a bit, but they were still entertaining.
Bill C.
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2007, 09:57:59 AM »

I'm kind of surprised nobody's hit on the fact that the Hitler Channel was showing this...
Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 06:36:12 AM »

Hell, according to the TV listings, they show The Road Warrior from time to time.

I don't mind fictional films set within real historical events, but when they show films set in the future or even alternate timelines if we have past the date the film was set in, they kind of thumb their noses at the concept of history.

I guess you can say these films reflect our feelings at the time about the future, if you wanted to justify it. BY that reasoning, they can show Escape from New York to reflect how America felt about crime in NYC at the time. Or Escape from LA as a reflection of political correctness and fears about rise of the Christian Right that took up much of the social and political landscape in the 90s. Yeah that's the ticket.

I used to love to catch POTA on the Sunday night late movie on channel 6 from Birmingham. The first three used to play on a local independent station when I was kid. I never saw the last two until they turned up on AMC. I like the look and atmosphere of the fourth one. The fifth one disappoints me, you could tell they were squeezing every last cent out of the franchise.

Just imagine what they could have done with the series if they had kept the budgets roughly the same from film to film rather than slashing them each time. Diminishing returns and all, just wish they had more scope over the course of the series.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
Joe
Bad Movie Lover

What are you afraid of? It's only rock n' roll.

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2007, 10:53:45 AM »

i just watched this recently too, it is a very good movie there is just something about it makes me like it. i do special effects so it might be the make-up for the time period.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2007, 11:29:02 AM »

Anyone remember watching the lame TV show?

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Bill C.
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2007, 11:30:54 AM »

Ever so vaguely, in the middle of the night when I was a kid...that about sums it up.
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2007, 11:57:11 AM »

Well I for one thought the TV Show was very underrated. It certainly featured some fine acting talent and I enjoyed the outdoors settings. I have a review of the TV Series over at Scifilm.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Gerry
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2007, 12:04:17 PM »

I thought the TV series was pretty good too.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2007, 12:08:58 PM »

Well, it WAS better than the Tony Orlando and Dawn Show...or alot of prime time TV of the seventies,come to think of it. But even the lamest of the films was better IMO. It just seemed too ...talky.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2007, 12:18:35 PM »

I've got the entire collection including the TV show ... it has excellent re-watchability. The first one, as always was best IMHO. I even like the remake albeit it could have been better.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2007, 02:10:44 PM »

Need a star for the sequel?

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Planet of the Apes « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.