Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:21:34 PM
714253 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Saturn 3 « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Saturn 3  (Read 4447 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: February 04, 2007, 06:37:32 PM »

We have a bit of weirdness these days, in that I always post a topic in the Reader Comments for new reviews.  However, I think that board means less of us just ramble about it - which usually is a shame.  So, I'll start a thread where we can just ramble.  If a post comes up that should be added to the Comments, just suggest it to me (or I might well ask).

This, movie is not all that bad, if you could edit out the naked Kirk Douglas butt.  Especially when he leaps off the bed (and Farrah) to tackle Harvey Keitel.  Ah!  Ah!  I'm being attacked by a lot of naked Kirk Douglas, liberally smeared with Farrah Fawcett.

Still confused about how cost efficient it was for them to conduct hydroponics testing all the way out by Saturn.

Of course, most of my thoughts can be found in the review:

http://www.badmovies.org/movies/saturniii/

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Ometiklan
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 07:53:12 PM »

Hector... The robot in the movie was pretty cool.
Farrah wasn't  too hard on the eyes...
As for the rest of the movie....
That's another story... aaaarrrgh!

And when he shall die
Take him and cut him into little stars,
And he will make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night,
And pay no worship to the garish sun.
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2007, 09:23:06 PM »

I was wondering about this, and it's the same problem I have with Silent Running; if all the energy for plant growth comes from the Sun, why would you put a farm station up much further away from it?  Doesn't make sense.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Dr. Whom

Cthulhu for president! Why choose the lesser evil?

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 04:53:38 AM »

About crawl spaces for no obvious purpose, might these not mandatory for space stations somewhere in the future. I mean, just we have fire exits in buildings nowadays, I shouldn't wonder that a future health & safety regulation would stipulate flightpaths from rampant robots. Common sense, really.

"Once you get past a certain threshold, everyone's problems are the same: fortifying your island and hiding the heat signature from your fusion reactor."

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.
Torgo

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 11:02:06 PM »

I saw this flick years ago on cable.  I didn't know what it was called until now.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 05:50:50 AM »

I was wondering about this, and it's the same problem I have with Silent Running; if all the energy for plant growth comes from the Sun, why would you put a farm station up much further away from it?  Doesn't make sense.

I last watched the movie about a year and half ago. I agree the premise was dumb, but I think the space greenhouses were to preserve the plant life to reseed the Earth at some future date with them since it had gotten too polluted to sustain plant life when the film started. I don't think the film explained how animal life still got oxygen with no plant life, much less why the spaceships with the plants weren't in orbit closer to the sun. Lots of good acting by Bruce Dern working his way through various mental states and emotions, but not much in the way of good plotting or explanations.

As for Saturn 3 maybe it was one of many farm stations trying to grow hydroponic plant life under different conditions of sunlight and gravity. But it has been a while since I've seen it and I don't like it enough to put up much of a defense of it.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
Andrew
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 10:53:51 AM »

About crawl spaces for no obvious purpose, might these not mandatory for space stations somewhere in the future. I mean, just we have fire exits in buildings nowadays, I shouldn't wonder that a future health & safety regulation would stipulate flightpaths from rampant robots. Common sense, really.

If they ever made that part of the building code, they had best require a "open in case of rampaging robot" kit too.  It would include a universal on/off remote and a ratchet set.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Bill C.
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2007, 11:28:13 AM »

Yeah, but nobody would adhere to the standard for a universal remote for robots.  Someone would just have to be the odd manufacturer out...
Andrew
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2007, 12:35:45 PM »

Yeah, but nobody would adhere to the standard for a universal remote for robots.  Someone would just have to be the odd manufacturer out...

I think that by then Microsoft would be running the world government, rather than actually making anything.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Bill C.
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2007, 12:43:22 PM »

Still doesn't mean everybody would adhere, though.  Somebody, somewhere, would come up with a non-WHQL-spec control system for their robots...
Gerry
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2007, 12:45:02 PM »

I think that by then Microsoft would be running the world government, rather than actually making anything.

At that point it will just be called "The Company"

Dennis
Yes, it's true, absolutely true. I am a

I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2007, 12:04:49 AM »

At that point it will just be called "The Company"

And our future would then be:

Actually I think that Saturn 3 is an OK sort of movie, I seem to remember seeing it at a theater when it first came out, or it might have been on Select TV, not sure which, the film is just OK for me and not really memorable. It's been on cable a lot recently but I've only watched it for about 15-20 minutes, just not interested that much.

Reach for the heavens in hope for the future for all that we can be, not what we are. Henry John Deutschendorf Jr.
Andrew
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2007, 06:53:28 AM »

Actually I think that Saturn 3 is an OK sort of movie, I seem to remember seeing it at a theater when it first came out, or it might have been on Select TV, not sure which, the film is just OK for me and not really memorable. It's been on cable a lot recently but I've only watched it for about 15-20 minutes, just not interested that much.

I don't know.  The plot touches on several ideas you could make a whole film about, but then it sticks to the robot rampage focus.  They barely even explore one of the most interesting aspects about the robot rampage - Hector knowing that its template comes from the mind of a deranged murderer.

Things that were brought up and never really explored:

Adam took in Alex when she was very young, but then took her as a lover.
Benson reflects society and its evils/vices.  Has Adam properly equipped Alex to deal with them or just used their isolation to create the perfect relationship between the two?
Why is society so screwed up and what would fix it?  Besides everyone having a self-sustaining asteroid to themselves.

The movie looks very competent and, overall, the acting and action keeps you engaged.  Some of the dialog is amazingly funny (in a skewed way), like the one exchange between Capt. Benson and Alex.

Benson: "You have a great body. May I use it?"
Alex: "I'm with the Major."
Benson: "For his personal consumption only?"
Alex: "Yes."

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Flangepart

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2007, 03:53:21 PM »

Ewwww....the image of Da Kirk doing the naked flying Wendella on Benson makes me sant to yell "Aaaaah, Doug Butt, Doug Butt! My eyes!..."
Sure to cause brain cancer....thanks, ever so mutch...

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Saturn 3 « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.