Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:41:30 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Dancing badly on camera may now get you sued..... « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Dancing badly on camera may now get you sued.....  (Read 9621 times)
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« on: February 05, 2007, 08:57:09 AM »

Thats an exaggeration but here is more on the latest silliness concerning the DMCA

http://news.com.com/Electric+Slide+on+slippery+DMCA+slope/2100-1030_3-6156021.html?tag=nefd.top

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Menard
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 01:37:43 PM »

Hey, does this mean that it could be outlawed at wedding receptions? TeddyR

I would also like to nominate the chicken dance and macarena to be added to the outlaw list.
Poogie
Bad Movie Lover

uuummmmmm.....BOO!

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 03:05:56 PM »

Now I know I'm old...I've never even heard of this Electric Slide dance....What exactly are they doing?    Question

Boogie...Boogie...Boogie...Boogie...  
Menard
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 03:17:52 PM »

Now I know I'm old...I've never even heard of this Electric Slide dance....What exactly are they doing?    Question

That's not being old; that's being lucky. TeddyR

I can't really describe other than as sort of a sideways moonwalk, minus the finesse. You will see it at wedding receptions; and that is the only place I have ever seen it.

Interestingly enough, I had watched The Super this weekend. The article mentioned that Joe Pesci does the electric slide in that movie and the creator of the dance had referred to it as the only perfect example in the movies (yo, go Joe) Lookingup. I don't recall having seen it, but you might check out the movie.
Poogie
Bad Movie Lover

uuummmmmm.....BOO!

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 03:36:58 PM »

Okay....thanks......I thought it was one of those sexually oriented dances the way they were talking about it in the article. I heard on the news where they canceled the prom because of a certain dance the kids were doing and it was sexually oriented...Are you getting tired of hearing sexually oriented?...I am.....Thanks again.   Buggedout

Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?

It's neVer over!

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2007, 03:56:32 PM »

Now if they could just outlaw the hamster dance.

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
Poogie
Bad Movie Lover

uuummmmmm.....BOO!

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2007, 04:11:02 PM »

Ha...I found that video but I don't know how to post it.....You're lucky...   BounceGiggle

Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2007, 05:30:27 PM »

More proof that, sooner or later, we (society as a whole) are going to need to find a way to fix copyright.

I do have a solution, which is not to do his stupid dance.  On the other hand, VIVA LA CHICKEN DANCE!

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2007, 05:35:35 PM »

I'm going to copyright hand clapping .. if a damn dance can be copyrighted then I can copyright hand clapping. I think I'll copyright thumbs up and down, the finger, peace sign and anything else I can think of and I'll be set for life.

Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2007, 05:46:35 PM »

I was thinking about copyrighting having a bowel movement.  That way, I can either tell every person I meet that they are "Full of s**t."  If they prove they are not, I can sue them for infringement.  Catch-22 baby.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2007, 07:08:57 PM »

I was thinking about copyrighting having a bowel movement.  That way, I can either tell every person I meet that they are "Full of s**t."  If they prove they are not, I can sue them for infringement.  Catch-22 baby.

I'm going to copyright breathing, because there are a lot of people I'd like to sue to make them stop. All others would breath at my good graces. That or I'll patent 'air' and sue those that use it, that shouldn't.

Dennis
Yes, it's true, absolutely true. I am a

I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2007, 10:53:38 PM »

You're kidding me, but on the other hand if I were to copyright the Sexually Oriented Electric Slide Hamster Chicken dance, I could sue not only for copyright infringement but sexual harassment as well, I'm sure that a law firm would take it on as a no pay till judgement reached for about 30% of the take.

Reach for the heavens in hope for the future for all that we can be, not what we are. Henry John Deutschendorf Jr.
Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2007, 08:34:56 AM »

One more reason to hate the movie The Super. Like I didn't have enough of those already.

Usually I've thought the EFF was doing good work, but this is bloody stupid, if they're backing or upholding the validity this idiot's claims. I had read of choreographers copyrighting and wanting to license dance moves they created for professional performances especially for revivals of shows they had worked on earlier: ballets, musicals, etc. Never thought it would go this far.

If he holds the coyright on the dance, could that make him liable for damages if anyone injures themselves while performing the dance? Maybe a class action suit for injuries from a poorly designed or unsafe product. Or be sued by all of us who hate seeing the dance performed, no I guess not, bad taste is not a crime or actionable offense, yet.

Since dances build on existing movements and earlier dances, shouldn't he have a patent rather than a copyright? It's not like some parts of the dance didn't already exist, he just combined and arranged them.

It reminds me of the Monty Python sketch where they get the brilliant idea to raise govt. revenue by taxing "thingy" Those who know will get it, those who don't are really missing something.

Since some have called dibs on some good stuff, I want to copyright sex, eating, drinking (booze and non-booze), and sleeping. To own the copyright on one third of the life span of most humans - more than than of many animals - has got to amount to some serious bread.

Andrew, copyrighting bowel movements would draw the ire of the Republicans, because it could be construed by some as a form of "death tax". People wouldn't be able to even exit this mortal plane without owing you royalties and you would have to pay taxes on that revenue unless your bookkeepers are really really good.

You know, if you can be sued for publicly performing copyrighted dance moves or else have to license the rights to use said dances, then we may finally have the means in our possession to kill off the TV show Soul Train.

I'm really up to late for thinking of all this.........

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2007, 11:09:31 AM »

I'm going to copyright Moshing, Slam dancing, Throwdown and Crowd Surfing because thats sooooo punk rock  Thumbup

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

Masked_Maverick
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2007, 06:52:04 PM »

Good thing no videos of my eight grade dance are available causeI 'd be in some real trouble.  Twirling But seriously it's fair friggin' use. If someone tweaked it just a smidge and touted it as an entriely new dance that they created then yeah that'd be copyright infringement. But if it is on say a wedding or prom video it is fair use and the schmuck should have no right to sue.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 06:59:53 PM by Masked_Maverick » Logged
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Dancing badly on camera may now get you sued..... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.