Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:44:36 AM
713384 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Videodrome « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Videodrome  (Read 15122 times)
Chigur
New Visitor

« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2008, 10:00:07 AM »

When I saw this film it seriously wierded me out, and assuming that that's the intended effect I would almost certainly say that it's a good film.
Is it just me, or do three-quaters of Cronenberg's films involve some grotesque body mutilation? Existenz, Crash, Scanners and Videodrome to say the least.
I mean he's definitely toned it down in recent years, but come on. That scene with the soup in Existenz is just gross.
Neville
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2008, 10:32:16 AM »

Cronenberg has always been fascinated with the idea of body mutation, don't ask me why. You can see that from his very early films. I'm not that sure if he has toned it down deliberately or simply the idea has evolved somehow during the years. You could say that some of the characters in his latest film are mutants / monsters but in a more subtle way. Take the gangsters from "Eastern Promises", they have somehow evolved from normal people, but one could argue their behaviour and social rules are so extreme that they are no longer human.

As for the Chinese restaurant scene in "Existenz", my guess is that he was poking fun at his own obsession with weirdness.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
RapscallionJones
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Grim & Frostbitten

« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2008, 12:24:18 PM »

This is an absolute favorite of mine.  The idea of media saturation, where does reality end and fantasy begin and so on is still relevant today, maybe even now more than ever.  A couple of years back I was tapped by a t-shirt company to make a shirt for the movie.  We did two and printed one.  My favorite was the one they didn't use.

This is the one they used:

Visit the b-movie blog
http://www.cinema-suicide.com
The required Myspace profile
http://www.myspace.com/cinemasuicide
HarlotBug3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2008, 07:00:01 PM »

Something that struck me as odd is that the movie never "takes off" like such movies are wont to do.  By that, I mean the pacing.  The film continues to be weird and present strange images and situations, but it does so at the same deliberate pace the entire time.

Thank you for describing what I couldn't put my finger on when trying to review this film myself. I'm suprised with myself that it's taken me this long to recognize the director's talent, specifically for making movies that strike with more than their content. Frankly, Eastern Promises wasn't a big deal as a script, but the presentation gave it more depth and umpf* than it deserved.

"Do you have something against droppings?" "Well, no, I..." "Sure, everyone says that till they step in it."
KYGOTC
Corprate slimeball of E.E.S.

Be EXELLENT to each other...and PARTY ON DUDES!!

« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2008, 12:43:50 PM »

I watched the trailer for this one on youtube and I ALMOST wanted to go out and buy it, but it seemed kinda like a movie that looks cool from a few screenshots, but ends up being really boring. Kinda like "The Stuff". Maybe i get it offa nexflix or something.

"I'm a man too, you know! I go pee-pee standing up!"
Oldskool138
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2008, 01:02:07 PM »

I watched the trailer for this one on youtube and I ALMOST wanted to go out and buy it, but it seemed kinda like a movie that looks cool from a few screenshots, but ends up being really boring. Kinda like "The Stuff". Maybe i get it offa nexflix or something.

The pace is deliberate and it adds the f'ed up feeling the whole movie has.

He learned almost too late that man is a feeling creature... and because of it, the greatest in the universe........
-Dr. Paul Nelson (Peter Graves)

That gum you like is going to come back in style.
-The Man from Another Place
Jim H

« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2008, 01:56:30 PM »

The last time I watched this movie I watched it while semi-drunk with a friend who'd never seen it before.  To say the least, it makes it a lot harder to follow.  I can't really suggest anyone else try it, heh.

But yeah, interesting film.  Great effects work.  It does reward a bit on multiple viewings too, I think.
The_Lonely_Lady
New Visitor

« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2008, 08:10:52 AM »

I have this on DVD, probably because I like Debbie Harry, but I think it's got some great ideas. I agree about the pacing but I think it's always enjoyable, especially if you think about it a bit afterwards. I read a book about some of the imagery which suggested the lips on the TV screen and the slot in his stomach were supposed to represent vaginas, I never thought about that before. Kind of makes it even sleazier.
BTM

« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2008, 06:26:40 PM »

(spoilers for Videodrome and Existenz)

Ever notice the endings to BOTH of these movies are rather similar?  We've got the whole someone getting shot, and the "Death to this, long live that!" chant?

Just thought that was kind of interesting...
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 10:01:10 PM by BTM » Logged

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2008, 01:30:24 AM »

I haven't seen this in awhile but from my reaction I did like it. I mean even if you hate it at least you get to see Debbie Harry nude. Wink

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Videodrome « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.