Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:48:38 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  What Was That Film?  |  Solved  |  Help IDing old movie box (girl with baseball bat?) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Help IDing old movie box (girl with baseball bat?)  (Read 12173 times)
Jeth
« on: February 06, 2007, 04:14:47 AM »

Okay, here's the deal... My dad owned a small town video store for several years.. I think from it was from about the late 80s-mid 90s, and I used to hang around there often from about 90-96 when I was around elementry-middle school aged. I was allowed to stay in the back room and watch any movies that were below PG13, even though I'd sneak some horror movies whenever I could.

Anyway, I recall one movie cover I always had my eye on that looked interesting, but since I rarely was able to sneak any R rated movies without getting caught I never risked this one. But I still remember it was in the horror section of my dads store, even though it didn't look like a horror movie. Looked to be more about some kind of troubled teen crime drama or thriller type movie. I recall either on the front or back of the box a teenaged (or possibly early 20s) girl (with dark hair) with a baseball bat (possibly with blood on it like she just beat someone with it) .....at least I know there was blood somewhere, either on the bat or on someones clothes or something... I think she was fighting with another girl, possibly... I really can't remember.... its all very fuzzy... I also think the cover might've had the same girl standing in front of a metal chainlink fence in an inner-city looking area. And I'm not positive on this one, but I think it had a red (bloodlike) font for the title as well. I remember it being in a slightly large gray plastic box (funny how I can remember this detail better than the actual pictures), y'know those hard plastic cases typical of the 80s movies. Speaking of a year range, I'd say this movie was probably from anywhere in the 80s. I'm thinking mid-late 80s maybe? Possibly late 70s, but I kinda doubt it was that old. Again, this is all very vauge and I apologize, I wish I had some kind of plot to go on, but my childhood memory is all I have to go by. Judging by the pictures, I was thinking it was about a troubled girl in the city, or a girl in some kind of juvie institution or something. I've looked all through IMDb going through lots of random 80s movies that sound like they could be the movie, but turned up with nothing. It's odd I've never seen the box/cover again in all these years, considering I'm a junkie for b-movies and all kinds of movies like this from the 70s and 80s. Go to tons of video stores all the time looking for obscure titles and older movies for sale. Very strange.

Does this like something anyone here has heard of?
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 06:22:05 AM »

Its very hard to judge by the old video boxes,being as most video companies back then were designed (it seems) to totally mislead the buyer into buying a great,exciting film,and it ended up being some obscure piece of garbage. For example: I bought a video,BLOOD FREAK,which had a castle with a faceof a screaming woman hovering over it. The blurb was, "A Dracula on drugs!"
What I got was a guy in a paper mache turkey mask set in southern Florida.
 But one these creepy guys might have a copy....they will buy ANYTHING... TongueOut

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Javakoala
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 06:59:56 AM »

I'll go out on a limb here and suggest that it seriously sounds like Switchblade Sisters.  The old cover art from when I rented it in the 80s sounds like what you're talking about, and the main girl wears a hat that could, in cloudy hindsight, pass for a baseball cap.

Here's the link to IMDb:  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073778/

Here's the redone cover from the Rolling Thunder release.
Jeth
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 08:16:31 AM »

Thanks for the replys so far. I've seen "Switchblade Sisters" several times, it's doubful, but I can look if it has any other posters that match up. I'd definitely recognize the cover if I saw it again. The more I think about, the movie I'm talking about seemed very 80s, it had a 80s thriller/action-drama look to it. From what I remember, this one seemed to be focused on the one girl. I'm pretty sure it was only one girl on the cover anyway. Also, the more I think about, I'm pretty sure the baseball bat picture was on the back. This seems to be a tough one. I'm thinking it must be really obscure, because I've never seen the cover again anywhere since. It's usually pretty hard to find what you're looking for when the only thing you have to go by is the cover, especially since I can't remember it too clearly.

Thanks again guys, any other suggestions/tips welcome.
JasonX
New Visitor

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 02:46:58 PM »

i have a vhs movie called BLOOD GAMES.  There's a bunch of good looking girls on the cover.  One is holding a baseball bat.  They were a baseball team.  The bat has blood on it, if i can recall.  I am actually at work now, but i think it could be the one you're looking for.  It's a pretty bad movie though, and not in a good way.
JasonX
New Visitor

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 02:49:51 PM »

hey i found the cover.  Not sure if this is the one....
Jeth
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 01:48:15 AM »

Haha, I dont think it was that one, but that's a pretty hilarious cover. The pic you provided didn't work for me (got the ol' red x), but I looked up the cover on ebay, looks really cheesy. Thanks for the suggestion though. That movie looks hilariously bad, I might just have to see it now. (unless it's just BAD-bad)

I don't necessarily think the one I'm looking for was a b-movie, it looked like more of a serious movie, but again I'm not positive. I know it was the the horror section in the store, but I think that might've been a mistake by my father or whoever it was that arranged the movies in the store.
JasonX
New Visitor

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2007, 09:43:07 AM »

i have so many dvds and vhs movies that i dont remember how bad it was.  but i remember that those girls werent in it.  there were other girls though.  and they are good guys if i remember correctly.  so i dont think they were just randomly killing, but yeah, check it out.  even if its really bad, its still fun.
Jeth
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2007, 12:09:08 PM »

Haha, the old "put hot chicks who aren't even in the movie on the cover" trick, classic! I'll have to see what the reviews on IMDb say, looks like it could be a fun movie based on it's cheeze bad factor alone.

The movie box I'm thinking looked like it might've been a serious movie, but again I'm not positive. Also, I'm pretty sure the baseball bat pic I keep mentioning was a still from a scene that was show on the back. I've been thinking about it more, and I'm pretty sure I remember it looking like she was either getting in a fight with someone or fighting someone off in the baseball bat picture. (hell, maybe it wasn't even a bat, could've been some other kind of weapon.)
unluckytourist
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2007, 11:32:24 PM »

Could be a (very) long shot, but have a look at SCRUBBERS. I don't know if it even got a U.S. release or not, and its not got a baseball bat that I can recall, but the video box art work here did feature a girl wielding a wooden bat and an amount of blood, and was concerned with a juvie/borstel type situation.
Or MAYBE Savage Streets. I think the Australian chunky ass plastic box cover was somewhat similar to your description. Thats about all I can think of for english language flicks.

Oh, and a link to the scrubbers cover. http://www.pre-cert.co.uk/cgi-bin/cms/Film/56931
Jeth
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2007, 01:15:57 AM »

Holy s**t, that's the one! That cover you provided was the exact box I always used to see. I was beginning to think I wasn't gonna ever figure out what movie this was. Would've never guessed it was a UK film. Wow, that's the first time I've seen the cover again in all these years. And it's by the guy who made Scum too! I just saw that movie recently and really enjoyed it. I'm gonna have to check this one out too, have you seen it?

Now that I see it again, it wasn't exactly the way I remembered it. I couldn't remember if the bat picture was on the cover or the back of the box. But that's definitely the one, thanks so much for solving the mystery for me! Very much appreciated.

-John
unluckytourist
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2007, 06:37:57 AM »

Alan Clarke directed Scum, but they are very similar films. I even used to get the two mixed up. Yes, I have seen it, and I was in a similar situation to yourself. As a kid, my parents rented it, but I wasn't allowed near it. I poured over the cover though, as it had that lurid, nasty forbidden to eight year olds quality. The back cover here elaborated on the image from the front. I used to pick up the box when I was in various stores as a kid, alongside the aforementioned SCUM and other similarly boxed titles like The Killing Of America. Anyway, I never did get to rent it, until a couple of years back, when I found a dumping ground video store. A giant old greek warehouse in Sydney that seemed to house just about every beta and VHS tape that the chain stores threw out. You could rent or buy for a dollar extra all sorts of assorted trash. So I picked this up first visit. Its a pretty horrid film. It in no way lives up to the cover, and comes off as a poor girls SCUM. Still, like the cover, it has a late 70's, early 80's grit and sleaze, with the bare production design and drab colours, that they have never been able or interested in replicating in recent times.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  What Was That Film?  |  Solved  |  Help IDing old movie box (girl with baseball bat?) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.