Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:04:30 PM
714321 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  2008 isn't looking so good « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: 2008 isn't looking so good  (Read 13891 times)
CoreyHeldpen
Bad Movie Lover

I think these komodos need to leave this cruise.

« on: February 10, 2007, 12:40:42 PM »

I know 2008 is still quite a long way away, but I thought I should let you know what Hollywood will be inflicting upon us that year:

REMAKES
Creature From The Black Lagoon
The Fly
Clash Of The Titans
Creepshow
The Entity
Evil Dead
The Eye
Flash Gorden
Hellraiser
The Host
The Incredible Shrinking Man
Near Dark
Pet Sematary
Prom Night
Silent Night, Deadly Night
The Wolf Man

PREQUELS
Nightmare on Elm Street

ADAPTATIONS
Halo
He-Man and the Masters of The Universe
Voltron

I'm sure there's more, but I'm too lazy to go back to IMDb to look it up. A remake of Clash Of The Titans? Sacrilege! A remake of Silent Night, Deadly Night? Stupidity! A Halo movie? Well, that's one thing in '08 to look forward to!

What do you guys think of this?

"The only three things I hate are demons, malfunctioning robots, and monster movies that don't show you the monster."
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2007, 12:47:20 PM »

I think as long as these movies continue to make them money, you can expect more of the same.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
CoreyHeldpen
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2007, 06:27:16 PM »

As for this year, I hear tell of a Direct-To-Video JAWS sequel coming up.

"The only three things I hate are demons, malfunctioning robots, and monster movies that don't show you the monster."
CheezeFlixz
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007, 06:53:53 PM »

While sometimes I enjoy the remakes it is beyond me as to why Hollyweird can not think up an original script? Why remake movies that have nothing wrong with them? Creature From The Black Lagoon, Flash Gordon, The Wolf Man these movie do not need to be remade, nor anything on the list/ It's just a grab for money and to save on marketing from films that already have a following.

Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?

It's neVer over!

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2007, 07:19:53 PM »

This shouldn't be too bad... the Good Lord willing
The Fly
- By Peter Jackson
Clash Of The Titans
...OK
Creepshow
From what I've heard (I hear both a sequel AND remake) it might be fine
The Entity
Who?
Evil Dead
Umm, why?
The Eye
The crawling one?
Flash Gorden
Indifferent
Hellraiser
Could go either way, depends on where #8 ended if it arrived at a definite conclusion then it may be time for a remake.
The Host
Wha?
Kinda surprised it hasn't been done already
Near Dark
Thumbdown
Pet Sematary
Hmm, this intrigues me, I hope it's a foreboding adaptation of the book
Prom Night
Don't remake direct-to-video looking 80s slasher films please. Why would they do such a thing, what's next, killer party?
AGAIN, see directly above
The Wolf Man
blablabla, I can see how this is going to turn out, a tormented yuppie and a caring but nervous yuppie girlfriend

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2007, 07:28:53 PM »

Remaking The Evil Dead and Flash Gordon is a terrible idea.

I would go to see a Wolfman remake though.
akiratubo

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2007, 08:48:26 PM »

Instead of remakes, why not just make new entries in the franchise?

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2007, 09:46:20 PM »

Actually a remake of THE CRAWLING EYE could be interesting in the right hands.  At one time, I thought John Carpenter could have done some terrific work true to the spirit that was the original and adding his own touch to it. Now I'm not so sure.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
CoreyHeldpen
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2007, 10:26:43 PM »

This shouldn't be too bad... the Good Lord willing
The Fly
- By Peter Jackson
Clash Of The Titans
...OK
Creepshow
From what I've heard (I hear both a sequel AND remake) it might be fine
The Entity
Who?
Evil Dead
Umm, why?
The Eye
The crawling one?
Flash Gorden
Indifferent
Hellraiser
Could go either way, depends on where #8 ended if it arrived at a definite conclusion then it may be time for a remake.
The Host
Wha?
Kinda surprised it hasn't been done already
Near Dark
Thumbdown
Pet Sematary
Hmm, this intrigues me, I hope it's a foreboding adaptation of the book
Prom Night
Don't remake direct-to-video looking 80s slasher films please. Why would they do such a thing, what's next, killer party?
AGAIN, see directly above
The Wolf Man
blablabla, I can see how this is going to turn out, a tormented yuppie and a caring but nervous yuppie girlfriend
The Entity: Haven't seen it, but I think its about a woman constantly under siege by a horny ghost. Its gotten some good reviews. And now Hollyweird is remaking it...

The Eye: An Asian film about a woman who gets an eye transplant, and is able to see ghosts. Haven't seen it, but I've heard its the best thriller in years. Hollywood is remaking it, too, with Jessica Alba in the lead role.

The Host: A critically acclaimed Korean sci-fi/comedy/drama/horror flick about a mutant beast terrorizing Seoul. Getting an American remake like The Ring and The Grudge.

Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2007, 05:32:27 AM »

REMAKES
Creature From The Black Lagoon - could be interesting
The Fly - it's been 20 years since the first remake, maybe lightning will strike twice
Clash Of The Titans - loved it as a kid, bored by it now, in the post-stop motion era, why bother?
Creepshow - just make sequels, it's not like the original is that great, good but not great.
The Entity - no opinion
Evil Dead - Did the remake bug or big $ bite Raimi to do or allow this? Why bother unless they have a major great idea to do a new take on it
The Eye - I liked the look and mood of the original, but not the story. Could go either way.
Flash Gorden - in the right hands it could be fun, but not playing it straight
Hellraiser - not a fan really, don't care
The Host - only know the original by reputation.
The Incredible Shrinking Man - also surprised it hasn't been done yet, not counting the Lily Tomlin comedy spoof/takeoff
Near Dark - somehow never seen it, but aware of the rep and love people have for it
Pet Sematary - not a fan of King or this film, don't care
Prom Night - why bother except to use the name, bet it has nothing to do with the original which was so mediocre would anyone notice if it did?
Silent Night, Deadly Night - never seen, no real opinion. I guess any remake is open season these days
The Wolf Man - again in the right hands, has potential. But you'd need the right story, director, and actor for Larry Talbot. Not just a cash in the name I hope.

PREQUELS
Nightmare on Elm Street - why bother? Just remake it already, with DJ Qualls for all I care.

ADAPTATIONS
Halo - know the game from rep only, good game movies are rare.
He-Man and the Masters of The Universe - Will they make it like the movie, blah, or will they go all knowing and camp for the fans who grew up with it. And just how gay will it be?
Voltron - Why bother, the die-hard fans will hate it most likely. Who is this aimed at? It could be Thunderbirds all over again.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
R-T-C Tim
Dedicated Viewer

Franco Nero's conscience

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2007, 11:50:30 AM »

I think one of the problems is the titles. Remakes like "Creature From The Black Lagoon" are probably only going to be very loosely based on the original films, the studio just decided to re-use the title.

Personally I think that there is way too much hysteria over remakes. Afterall, if it is a good film, what difference does it make whether the title is the same as a different film from decades ago. It hardly does any damage to that film's reputation, and if anything it helps to bring the original back to prominence ('Van Helsing' may have been a bad film, but it lead to a whole load of superb DVDs!).

Mondo Esoterica - Cult and obscure DVD reviews from Nosferatu to Black Emanuelle
Please note: Reviews are fully illustrated and may often be NSFW
Dennis
Yes, it's true, absolutely true. I am a

I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2007, 01:12:08 PM »

While sometimes I enjoy the remakes it is beyond me as to why Hollyweird can not think up an original script? Why remake movies that have nothing wrong with them?

Possibly a tremendous shortage of actual talent and artistic ability in the film capitol of the world, maybe?

Reach for the heavens in hope for the future for all that we can be, not what we are. Henry John Deutschendorf Jr.
CoreyHeldpen
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2007, 06:24:25 PM »

While sometimes I enjoy the remakes it is beyond me as to why Hollyweird can not think up an original script? Why remake movies that have nothing wrong with them?

Possibly a tremendous shortage of actual talent and artistic ability in the film capitol of the world, maybe?

Not unlikely.

Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2007, 01:38:56 AM »

Unfortunately, a remake (especially a bad or mediocre one) can overshadow a good original in the minds of the public. Maybe not with film buffs. But I hate trying to explain that when I recommend people seek out The Wicker Man I mean the first one and not the Nick Cage film. I'm surprised how many people are unaware of the classic Frankenheimer/Sinatra film The Manchurian Candidate and not the Denzel Washington remake.

Substitute The Italian Job or plenty of other good films with lackluster remakes.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
R-T-C Tim
Dedicated Viewer

Franco Nero's conscience

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2007, 04:25:12 AM »

Unfortunately, a remake (especially a bad or mediocre one) can overshadow a good original in the minds of the public. Maybe not with film buffs. But I hate trying to explain that when I recommend people seek out The Wicker Man I mean the first one and not the Nick Cage film. I'm surprised how many people are unaware of the classic Frankenheimer/Sinatra film The Manchurian Candidate and not the Denzel Washington remake.

Equally, however, how many people only hear about a film because of its remake. I know several people who have watched the original Wicker Man after seeing the remaking, hearing that it was much better. I personally only got into classic horror films after tracking down the 1932 Mummy on DVD after seeing the remake.

In a case like the The Manchurian Candidate, how many of those people would never have heard of the original either way?

Mondo Esoterica - Cult and obscure DVD reviews from Nosferatu to Black Emanuelle
Please note: Reviews are fully illustrated and may often be NSFW
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  2008 isn't looking so good « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.