Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:52:49 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  THE YAKUZA (1974) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: THE YAKUZA (1974)  (Read 13319 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: February 08, 2007, 06:04:56 PM »

This is a very good, but unfortunately forgotten movie starring Robert Mitchum and Brian Keith.

Brian Keith plays a businessman whose daughter is kidnapped by a Yakuza clan in Japan after Keith screws up an illegal gun deal.  Keith's old friend Robert Mitchum owes him a favor, so Mitchum goes to Japan to attempt to rescue the kidnapped girl.

The movie has a nice balance of drama, insights into Japanese culture, and bursts of violent action.  There are some well-choreographed swordfights and also some decent gun-play with pistols and shotguns.

The screenplay was written by Robert (CHINATOWN) Towne and Paul (TAXI DRIVER) Schrader, and the film was directed by Sidney (THREE DAYS OF THE CONDOR) Pollack, which definitely adds to the quality.  If you haven't see this, you might want to get your hands on a copy of the recently-released DVD.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Jim H

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 10:13:03 PM »

Quite a solid film, with the action suprising me in how good it was.  Dramatically it is also good, with the relationship between the two leads fairly deep and interesting.  Definetly reccomended.
Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2007, 05:09:35 AM »

Saw this a few years ago, and liked it a lot, enough to recommend it around to people I knew. I and another guy who had seen it earlier made such a strong case for the film the owner of the local comic shop we were at went and rented it on his lunch break.

This movie had the right mix of action, story, and emotional drama for my tastes. There is the plot itself, but the drama that plays out based upon the tangled relationships and honor of the characters from events dating back decades really made it work for me. The action was good and believeable, sometimes when they try to insert Westerners into Asia or Japanese-style action it feels forced. This movie didn't fall into that trap.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007, 10:45:03 PM »

I'll put it on my list Burgomaster. Sounds like a good one.

dean

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2007, 08:41:32 AM »

I'm officially now a Paul Schrader film fan, after just now watching Raging Bull, and really liking it.

I'll have to check it out.  So far I'm a fan of Bringing Out The Dead and Taxi Driver as well, but I suppose they're also all Scprsese films so it'd be nice to have a different director, just to compare.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2007, 12:19:04 PM »

Dean,

If you're a fan of Paul Schrader, then check out Auto Focus.  That is a haunting film, and one of my favorites that Schrader has done.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 12:54:49 AM »

Dean, also seek out Blue Collar starring Richard Pryor, Harvey Keitel, and Yapett Kotto. It's a dark cynical drama about auto factory workers caught between family financial pressures, their corrupt union, and their indifferent employer.

Gritty is the best way to describe it. It also has the best dramatic acting Pryor probably ever did, wish he had done more in that vein rather than the mainstream comedies he steered toward, but I understand why.

I haven't seen it, but Affliction is another usually highly recommended Schrader work.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  THE YAKUZA (1974) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.