Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:26:55 AM
714335 Posts in 53094 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  I come in peace... « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: I come in peace...  (Read 17614 times)
Poogie
Bad Movie Lover

uuummmmmm.....BOO!

« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2007, 06:42:12 PM »

Ed....How many rooms does it have?  BounceGiggle Around here you would get 1 bedroom and a pot to pee in, 3 blades of grass, and oh, maybe it will have a roof.  BounceGiggle Just kidding. But it's getting pretty close to that. It's funny how we're getting pushed out of here because so many people want to live here. This state has people from all over the world put in one little area. I can go about a block away from my house and it's like I'm in another country, can't even read the signs on buildings, they're in a different language depending on the majority of people living in that area. If you decide to go into the store you have to find that one person who speaks English. Is it like that in Oregon yet? It's a very strange feeling.  Smile

Boogie...Boogie...Boogie...Boogie...  
Dennis
Yes, it's true, absolutely true. I am a
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2007, 03:52:56 AM »

Actually it's kind of funny to drive down Valley Blvd. (main street, runs from Pomona to downtown L.A.) in San Gabriel and see all the signs in Chinese and Vietnamese and then see one for McDonald's or Taco Bell. This neighborhood has changed a lot in the last twenty years, I like living here.

Reach for the heavens in hope for the future for all that we can be, not what we are. Henry John Deutschendorf Jr.
Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2007, 08:04:37 AM »

Trevor, thanks for your reply. I was aware of names like Johnny Clegg and Savuka they got a lot of mention on MTV here during the 80s (and even some airplay). I knew that Trevor Rabin of Yes and movie soundtrack fame was from SA and was in the pop/rock band Rabbit.

Do you have a link or list of films banned in SA during the apartheid era, I am curious actually? I'm guessing even non-classics (but still good films) like The Wilby Conspiracy didn't makle the cut. What about The Wild Geese, not South African, but deals with issues of post-colonial Africa.

I once saw the South African cop flick Vengence Cops on TV here. It was odd, the cars looked like 70s models, but the clothes and hairstyles looked like the late 60s. You could see highway signs that identified SA cities but no black people appeared in the film at all. What should have been a straight forward genre action flick had an air of unreality to it. Oh, I bought Kill and Kill Again a few years ago, also odd but more for the goofy story and cetain scenes rather than political elements.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2007, 09:46:03 AM »

Hi Yaddo  Smile

I have a list and will post it here soon or will create a new thread with it ~ you and the brothers and sisters of BM.org will be shocked at what was banned and why ~ most of the time, the Censor Board didn't have to give a reason beyond this: "We find this film / publication / song offensive so it is banned forthwith." They had scary powers those guys ~ our new censors can be found at www.fpb.gov.za. I would rather find them in the toilet.

That film you mentioned is locally known as Flying Squad (1971) and the film Vengeance Cops is its' other title and oddly enough, the film also includes footage from Flying Squad's sequel Gold Squad. A friend of mine directed both of these, incidentally and they were propaganda films portraying the feared SA Police as avanging angels ~ where they failed was trying to mimic Dirty Harry and getting mighty dirty in the process. TeddyR

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2007, 12:40:32 AM »

Trevor, I look forward to your list, why films cross the line in various locales around the world always interests me.

Thanks for your info on that film as well, when I saw it on Speedvision there was little info about it. IMDB at the time was little help also (haven't checked it lately), and gave the release date as 1988! I'm guessing that date had something to do with a video or TV release in the USA maybe.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  I come in peace... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.