Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:46:44 AM
713386 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Mrs. Butterworth's or Log Cabin? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mrs. Butterworth's or Log Cabin?  (Read 9539 times)
Menard
« on: February 11, 2007, 09:44:27 AM »

I am not normally a syrup fan. My usual topping for pancakes is lots and lots of butter/margarine. It's the same with waffles, though with waffles I do like to ever now and then melt a few slices of cheese between them and on top (cheesy waffles TeddyR).

As of my breakfast post I had gotten a big bottle (36oz is big for me) of Log Cabin Country Kitchen syrup (a.k.a. corn syrup with flavoring and color added). This was a 50% bonus bottle for only $1.50 at Walmart; their own store brand for the same size bottle is something like $1.68.

When I was a child, my mother would buy the Log Cabin brand syrup, which came in a glass bottle and I do belive was designed with kind of a relief of a fireplace. Of course, now the bottles are all plastic and just don't have the same charm as the glass bottles. Anybody into collecting plastic Mrs. Butterworths? There are other name brand syrups such as Aunt Jemima and Hungry Jack as well.

As with any name brand, there are those of us who would prefer a certain brand over the other. For some, this would be for taste while others may well buy it for the design, and still other (like with Hungry Jack) might well buy it for the convenience of the bottle design. Alas, there are purists who will not have anything other than pure maple syrup with their pancakes and waffles, and, of course, there is dissention among their ranks as to which is the best brand.

As with anything, or so we hope, there is a choice.

What is your choice for syrup, or does it really matter to you?
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2007, 10:42:22 AM »

Somehow, I have this feeling that Ash and Menard switched brains through some crazy accident involving an Incan artifact.

That being said:  Pure maple syrup.  We have a can of it from a place in Maine.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Menard
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2007, 10:50:27 AM »

Somehow, I have this feeling that Ash and Menard switched brains through some crazy accident involving an Incan artifact.

I almost prefaced this with a disclaimer that it is indeed Menard and not Ash starting this thread. As of a few threads of late, and p**sing a few people off, I was beginning to wonder myself. My theory is that Ash has become the victim of an alien possession which has him convinced that he must be a kinder, gentler Ash. I, on the other hand, don't know the meaning of the words kinder and gentler and feel obigated to step in to make up for the real Ash's absence. TeddyR

(Damn; this stuff I'm smoking is pretty good TongueOut)
raj

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2007, 11:08:34 AM »

(Damn; this stuff I'm smoking is pretty good TongueOut)

Well quit bogarting it, dude.

As a kid, it was always Log Cabin.  Nowadays I would use real maple syrup if I had a choice, but actually I put jelly/jam/preserves on pancakes.
Dennis
Yes, it's true, absolutely true. I am a

I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2007, 11:52:51 AM »

I may be mistaken in this as it was a real long time ago, but I seem to recall as a small child pouring Log Cabin syrup from a metal dispenser made in the shape of, and painted to look like a log cabin, the cap was the top of the chimney. Now I find that syrup from a plastic bottle just doesn't taste right, so I prefer maple syrup from a glass bottle, but I must admit that Karo dark corn syrup works well in a pinch, and it of course comes from a plastic bottle.

Reach for the heavens in hope for the future for all that we can be, not what we are. Henry John Deutschendorf Jr.
Jordan
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Thunderball Fists?! I can have such a thing?!

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2007, 01:38:06 PM »

Andrew, I've had pure maple syrup from Vermont, but it didn't rock my world. I'm still a Mrs. Butterworth's man through and through... especially the variety that contains a bit of butter flavoring! Mwahahahahaha!  BounceGiggle

-----
The Vault Master
Caretaker of The B-Movie Film Vault
-----
Poogie
Bad Movie Lover

uuummmmmm.....BOO!

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2007, 01:49:41 PM »

I like Dark Karo syrup...  Smile

Boogie...Boogie...Boogie...Boogie...  
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2007, 02:18:54 PM »

I perfer, pure maple syrup or molasses. Karo syrup is ok in a crunch.

BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2007, 02:36:26 PM »

I use Aunt Jemima.

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2007, 07:27:06 PM »

We went on a tour of MAPLE GROVE FARMS up in Vermont a few years back and now we always buy their maple syrup at the supermarket.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 07:28:38 PM by Scott » Logged

Dennis
Yes, it's true, absolutely true. I am a

I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2007, 07:32:20 PM »

I am not normally a syrup fan. My usual topping for pancakes is lots and lots of butter/margarine. It's the same with waffles, though with waffles I do like to ever now and then melt a few slices of cheese between them and on top (cheesy waffles TeddyR).

Menard, the more I think about this the better it sounds, next time I make waffles I'm going to melt some cheese between and on top of them, always liked a slice of sharp cheddar on warm apple pie and this sounds like it'll be just as good.

Reach for the heavens in hope for the future for all that we can be, not what we are. Henry John Deutschendorf Jr.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2007, 11:30:50 AM »

I may be mistaken in this as it was a real long time ago, but I seem to recall as a small child pouring Log Cabin syrup from a metal dispenser made in the shape of, and painted to look like a log cabin, the cap was the top of the chimney. Now I find that syrup from a plastic bottle just doesn't taste right, so I prefer maple syrup from a glass bottle, but I must admit that Karo dark corn syrup works well in a pinch, and it of course comes from a plastic bottle.

Not so long ago, that I don't remember it that way, too, Dennis. In a pure taste test, I don't have any preference, but because of the nostalgia factor, I'll have to choose Log Cabin.
T-Rex Television
Dedicated Viewer

I Am The Walrus!!

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2007, 06:30:06 PM »

I like to use real maple syrup, like from new hampshire, vermont, maine or even here in mass. they kind that comes in glass bottles. thats defintely the best, but if i dont have that then  i guess i would have to use the fake stuff in plastic bottles. i dont remember what i used as a kid, i dont even rememeber much about when i was a kid (probably not a good sign ,seeing im not even too old. )

"Be still my dog of war, I understand your pain. We have all lost someone we love..."

the ghoul
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2007, 07:19:05 PM »

Real maple syrup is the best.  There's nothing like it.  It's all I use at home.  Costco and Trader Joe's have it at very affordable prices.  Before I got into the real thing, my fave was Mrs. Butterworth's, and I would still take Mrs. B over Log Cabin any day!
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Mrs. Butterworth's or Log Cabin? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.