Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:14:36 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Doomsday Machine (1972) « previous next »
Poll
Question: What did you like most?
Story - 1 (50%)
Acting - 0 (0%)
Cheap Sets - 0 (0%)
Toho Disaster Stock Footage - 0 (0%)
Spaceships Reclining Chairs - 0 (0%)
Astronauts Motorcycle Helmets - 0 (0%)
Command Center Operator - 0 (0%)
Spaceships - 1 (50%)
Jumping Through Space - 0 (0%)
Spy Entry - 0 (0%)
Astronauts Being Space Vacumed - 0 (0%)
Radiation Shield - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 2

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Doomsday Machine (1972)  (Read 3596 times)
Scott
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« on: February 14, 2007, 01:01:21 AM »

THE DOOMSDAY MACHINE (1972) - This is Z-Grade end of the world moviemaking at its best. Terrible acting and sets, but an interesting story. It seems that China has developed a doomsday device and agents have infultrated China's lab by throwing a cat over the wall to distract the guard dog. The world governments find out about the device which is about to go off, so the U.S. scraps a planned space flight and replace 3 of the 7 crew members with women. It seems to be that the goverment wants these people to continue the human race in case something happens with the Doomsday Machine. The women consist of a doctor, female Russian Cosmonaut, and a clueless meteorologist. It also seems that Russia has allowed one of their visting space people to join the flight. They get into space and watch the world literally explode. With no more earth to return to they head for Venus and are intercepted by an alien kraft who sends two of the earthlings out of the solar system since they don't want anything to do with mankind.

Thumbup Thumbdown (5 out of 10 Stars) So bad its good. There is so much here that you will appreciate from decent story to really bad acting and sets. This film has a lot to offer the bad movie fan. Picked it up on my Strange Tales 20 Movie Pack from Mills Creek Entertainment.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 01:04:16 AM by Scott » Logged

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 09:43:11 AM »

About the only thing I liked was the little bit of nudity we got.  I bought the Elvia Movie Macabre version of this, and I never made it past the halfway point.  There's so so much inane technobabble, it consumes the entire script.  When they finally get into space it gets a little less awful, as in, very little less awful.  I just didn't have the endurance it would take to make it through to the end.  I never even got to the part with the aliens.  Maybe some night I'll try again, but I really don't think I could make it any farther than I did the first time.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Scott

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 10:42:38 AM »

Giving Jack Karma just for the attempt.  Smile

The beginning looks terrible and the dialogue is so badly acted that your sure your in for a boring film, but if you give it time and allow the story to unfold a bit then you will get more out of it. Believe it or not the acting actually gets better towards the end, but not enough to call it acting.

To wrap it up: The goverment sends these astronauts up into space with three women before the doomday machine goes off. While up in space the whole planet has a nuclear reaction and explodes. There is some scabbling over the women and a grusome scene of one male and felmale getting stuck in the vacum chamber and sucked into space leaving only the more rational members of the crew. They calculate that they can only carry 3 people to make it to Venus, so two of them do the right thing when they need to seperate part of the ship in order to use the rocket. They sacrifice themselves willingly to so the others can continue. There is a surprise at the end with the alien "collective voice" spacecraft.

This was made in 1969 and never finished, but someone (I read at imdb.com) found the film and added some scenes in 1972 to finish the picture. The film was made around the time of 2001 SPACE ODYSSEY and MAROONED and the film contains some of the elements of these two films, only the story is a little bit different especially with the earth exploding and the women on board.

There really isn't any nudity in this film. The image in the post is the closest thing to it.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 10:49:53 AM by Scott » Logged

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 10:14:28 PM »

I have this in one of Mill Creek's 50 MOVIE PACKS . . . not sure which one . . . either NIGHTMARE WORLDS or SCI-FI classics.  The part I liked the most is the beginning where the "top secret" doomsday machine is stored in a building that is barely guarded and the room holding the machine gets infiltrated in about 3 minutes.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Scott

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 03:42:52 PM »

Yea, and they do it in under three minutes by throwing a cat over the fence to distract the guard dog.  BounceGiggle

Within hours the doomsday device goes off and all are gone including that fearless cat.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 03:45:04 PM by Scott » Logged

Evan
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2007, 08:50:18 PM »

I have the Elvira version and enjoyed it to some extent. Of course, I noticed how some of the footage was also used in my favorite movie "Horror of the Blood Monsters". I think it was a sad career choice for Grant Williams who was in "The Incredible Shrinking Man" and "Brain of Blood".
Archivist

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 01:08:08 AM »

I just discovered this one on the increasingly large repository of full length movies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doomsday_Machine_%281972_film%29

Small | Large

Um, wow.  Just, wow.  Twirling

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
akiratubo

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 01:27:50 AM »

This movie is a f@#$ing disaster.  I can't believe someone didn't say, "Ok, guys, this is awful.  Let's just stop."  If you're looking for a "bad" movie, this is one of the worst.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Doomsday Machine (1972) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.