Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 04:54:22 AM
714147 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7732 Members
Latest Member: Larryfiste
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Disney Favorites (gasp) « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: Disney Favorites (gasp)  (Read 30157 times)
Hammock Rider
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2009, 04:39:11 PM »

I like some of the goofy 60's-70's live-action movies like Gus, The World's Greatest Athlete, Herbie, The Shaggy Dog and all those Kurt Russell movies.  The Disney Classics like Snow White and Dumbo and such are great too. I also own the Walt Disney Treasures:On the Front Lines, which is a collection of their WW2 cartoons. Some of those are very interesting.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 04:40:54 PM by Hammock Rider » Logged

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2009, 07:01:25 PM »

Boy...this thread goes back  a few years,eh?
Yeah...I remember ol' Walt introducing the program as well!

This should bring back some memories,Shmendrik...!

Small | Large
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 07:04:28 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2009, 10:13:56 PM »

My favorites included Treasure Planet, Atlantis: The Lost Empire, The Incredibles, The Jungle Book, House of Villians (Strange huh?  I saw this when I was teen, but I figured it would still be interesting to see.) Hercules, and Wall-E (I don't own it, but it is so on my wish list for my birthday).

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
meQal
Some Strange Guy They Let In By Mistake

Dude! Flush Next Time!!!

« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2009, 03:00:41 AM »

My favorites are:
Tron
The Black Hole
Cars
Dumbo
Sword And The Stone
Alice in Wonderland
The Apple Dumpling Gang

Movie Trivia Fact : O.J. Simpson was considered for the title role in The Terminator, but producers feared he was \"too nice\" to be taken seriously as a cold-blooded killer.<br />Isn\'t hindsight great.<br />A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. - Agent Kay - Men in Black
Wag
Bad Movie Lover

It's a real cat and carrot situation

« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2009, 07:47:19 AM »

I have The Lion King on DVD and VHS The Lion King 2 on DVD and The Little Mermaid on VHS.

Live action-wise, I probably have a few more than I am aware of, but I recently bought Enchanted (it's a guilty pleasure) on DVD.

Where the hell is that soothing music coming from?
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2009, 07:49:20 AM »

Honey, I Shrunk The Kids  Thumbup

HarlotBug3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2009, 04:53:46 PM »

The Dark Cauldron is both facinating and painful to watch because the childrens' fantasy and kids' adventure elements keep cancelling each other out.

A lot of people thought The Emperor's New Groove was overwrought.
I think it is one of the funniest cartoons ever made.

"Do you have something against droppings?" "Well, no, I..." "Sure, everyone says that till they step in it."
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2009, 09:06:08 PM »

A lot of people thought The Emperor's New Groove was overwrought.
I think it is one of the funniest cartoons ever made.

It's one of my personal favorites as well.  David Spade and John Goodman delivered some good voice acting for this movie.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2009, 09:31:14 AM »

Escape to Witch Mountain
The Million Dollar Duck

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
pinkandbluefilms
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2009, 11:35:46 AM »

on the whole, it's not surprising that it's almost embarrassing to admit any kind of admiration for Disney, considering what it has degenerated into since Walt's death and we will never see that level of craftsmanship and artistry again, alas.

1. Pinocchio. It has a texture and mood unlike anything else. It cannot be overrated.
2. Dumbo. What more can one say after Pink Elephants on parade?  (well, come to think of it, Sun Ra did have more to say on it)
3. Fantasia. It's mixed, but the abstract Toccata and fugue, Mussorgsky's demonic 'Night on bare mountain' , Dukas' Sorcerer, and Stravinsky's Rite stand with some of the most startling and innovative animation ever committed to celluloid. Plus, it has the wizard of a magician, Stoki  making delightful mince meat of much of the music  (Stoki is now considered uncouth in today's high brow, bland, orthodox music scene).
4. Snow White. Another one that cannot be over rated. When Walt was at the helm, Disney actually too risks. It's not for vain reason that James Agee ranked Disney with Chaplin.
5.101 Dalmations. Disney  being almost a ship as Busby Berkeley.
schmendrik
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2009, 12:56:39 PM »

on the whole, it's not surprising that it's almost embarrassing to admit any kind of admiration for Disney, considering what it has degenerated into since Walt's death and we will never see that level of craftsmanship and artistry again, alas.

Partly but don't 100% agree. And in an interview with Walt I once heard him scoff at the idea of "artistry". He characterized himself as an entertainer, and the goal was to make money. But you're right, he was a visionary artist and he completely changed the animation field, raising the standards far above what anything anybody had ever considered before.

In one of his earliest shorts, I don't recall which, Mickey Mouse is playing the piano and his fingers are actually PLAYING THE CORRECT NOTES. That's just astonishing for so many reasons. Pixar probably has the dominant role in animation now that Walt once had.

However I said I don't 100% agree. When Jeffery Katzenberg was running the Disney movies there were some amazingly good films. We took our little girl to see "Beauty and the Beast" and I was blown away by the music right from the opening number. It struck me that I was listening to a Broadway-class overture that would work on any live stage.

I recall around that time critics were proclaiming that the musical was dead, that audiences didn't want to hear actors sing anymore. Then Disney had several hits with really top-notch music and critics declared that audiences only wanted to hear actors sing if they were animated (this was about the time that Steven Bochco bombed with a musical cop show on TV called "Cop Rock"). Then we had smash live hits like "Phantom" and "Les Mis". Have the critics gotten the idea yet that people want to hear musicals if it's GOOD MUSIC? Probably not. But for a few years there Disney was doing really great musicals. It's no surprise that those films have had a second life as live-action stage shows.
peter johnson

« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2009, 01:11:06 PM »

I had occasion to watch "Dr Syn:  The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh" this past weekend.  It holds up amazingly well, with some genuine scares and tension.

My wife goes with "Emil and The Detectives".

peter johnson/denny crane

I have no idea what this means.
pinkandbluefilms
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2009, 04:39:48 PM »

Yes, Disney, Like John Ford, made overtures to disclaim artistry, which makes me respect them even more, but "The Searchers" and "Fantasia" are but two examples that give lie to their claims (a bit like the dadaists making anti-art art or supposed atheists Stravinsky & Bunuel creating religious art).

And I would partially agree with you on the Katzenberg Disney era. "Beauty and the Beast", "Little Mermaid" and "Alladin' all were well crafted films, the best since Walt's death. However, Beast lacked any real sense of danger, such as we find in Cocteau's version, "Mermaid" had the happy ending and Robin Williams' performance really seems distracting to the good of the story. "Lion King" , like Elton John, was pure saccharine,  IMHO. But, that said, the first three are near classics and 'Tarzan", surprisingly, was decent and, even more surprisingly, had a halfway decent Phil Collins score. Who would have ever thought?

Peace

Partly but don't 100% agree. And in an interview with Walt I once heard him scoff at the idea of "artistry". He characterized himself as an entertainer, and the goal was to make money. But you're right, he was a visionary artist and he completely changed the animation field, raising the standards far above what anything anybody had ever considered before.

In one of his earliest shorts, I don't recall which, Mickey Mouse is playing the piano and his fingers are actually PLAYING THE CORRECT NOTES. That's just astonishing for so many reasons. Pixar probably has the dominant role in animation now that Walt once had.

However I said I don't 100% agree. When Jeffery Katzenberg was running the Disney movies there were some amazingly good films. We took our little girl to see "Beauty and the Beast" and I was blown away by the music right from the opening number. It struck me that I was listening to a Broadway-class overture that would work on any live stage.

I recall around that time critics were proclaiming that the musical was dead, that audiences didn't want to hear actors sing anymore. Then Disney had several hits with really top-notch music and critics declared that audiences only wanted to hear actors sing if they were animated (this was about the time that Steven Bochco bombed with a musical cop show on TV called "Cop Rock"). Then we had smash live hits like "Phantom" and "Les Mis". Have the critics gotten the idea yet that people want to hear musicals if it's GOOD MUSIC? Probably not. But for a few years there Disney was doing really great musicals. It's no surprise that those films have had a second life as live-action stage shows.

vanlutz
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2009, 05:58:57 PM »

My wife and I love Disney and especially Pixar. So you could just make a list from the past years of animated movies and they would be on there. Pixar especially, each movie keeps getting better and better.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2009, 10:51:36 AM »

We've got a few of the older animated features around - Bambi, Dumbo, The Rescuers, The Jungle Book, 101 Dalmatians (Ro's current favourite). The only Pixar title we own is Finding Nemo, and ironically, we can't find it. After renting WALL-E, I'm tempted to buy that as well.

Of the live-action features, I used to own a copy of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, but I don't know what happened to it. We've got Tron and The Black Hole, and possibly a couple of others.

And speaking of 20,000 Leagues, I love this bit:
Small | Large

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Disney Favorites (gasp) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.