Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:30:14 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  The most deceptive and misleading commercial I have seen « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The most deceptive and misleading commercial I have seen  (Read 21551 times)
WyreWizard
Bad Movie Lover

« on: February 18, 2007, 12:59:30 AM »

This commercial takes place on what appears to be Malibu Beach.  Hundreds of bikini-clad women are running towards something.  They come from the east, the west and out of the water.  The camera focuses in on their goal.  Its a man spraying himself with Axe spray.  The camera zooms out and the words "Spray more, get more" appear.

Just what kind of fools do the makers of Axe body spray take us for?  I mean, no spray is going to make hundreds of women stampede for you when you spray it on.  It would be nice if there were really such a product.  But sadly, there isn't.

Axe body spray's commercials are as deceptive and misleading as those for Tag body spray.  I don't see why the FTC and Consumer Advocacy Groups don't step in and put a stop to this kind of deception.  I've always thought that deceptive advertising was a crime.  Its seems that Axe and Tag are getting away with a lot.

Babe, I'm leaving.  I must be on my way.  The time is drawing near.  The train is going.  I see it in your eyes.  The love beneath your tears.  And I'll be lonely without you.  And I'll need your love to see me through.  So please me.  My heart is your hands.  And I'll be missing you...
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 02:02:47 AM »

I agree, wyrewizard.  Thumbup

Those infomercials are another case in point ~ they show you a guy or girl with a tight bod wearing the product that the company is advertising and you think that you'll look that way once you use the product.  Question

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2007, 02:53:48 AM »

I prefer employing the types of fragrances that can only be admired by dogs.
The results are much more consistant in favorability.

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2007, 08:12:28 AM »

The camera zooms out and the words "Spray more, get more" appear.

I don't see why the FTC and Consumer Advocacy Groups don't step in and put a stop to this kind of deception.  I've always thought that deceptive advertising was a crime.

What deception?  To what does the phrase "get more" refer?

YOU are the one INFERING that it means "get more women."  Sure, maybe they are helping that inference, but it is still your inference.  Notice that they stop short of saying "get laid more" - that would be deception.

Or would it?  Men that use colognes like these would be considered "stylish," "au currant" and possibly "rich/financially comfortable."  Maybe some types of women DO respond to such non-visual cues.  In this case, it's not the cologne itself that is attracting the women, but part of an overall package.  If you try their product and DON'T see such a response, they would argue that you are sabotaging the overall image in some other way.

If YOU don't think the product will do that for YOU, then don't buy it.  It really is no more complicated than that.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Menard
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2007, 08:32:06 AM »

This commercial...

Sorry; that's about where I zoned out.

Your karma has dropped to a -13. You are going to have to do better than that to get it back up to a -18, and beyond. We have faith in you; we all know you can do it. TeddyR
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2007, 08:58:25 AM »

Ulthar...
You would've been my first choice as the "Person Most Likely to Not Fall For This" thread.

WyreWizard's posts are like Vietnamese Punji stick traps.
And you fell into one.   Buggedout

Tread carefully.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 08:19:07 PM by Ashthecat » Logged
Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?

It's neVer over!

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2007, 09:39:46 AM »

this thread seems familiar

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2007, 01:41:55 PM »

Ulthar...
You would've been my first choice as the "Person Most Likely to Not Fall For This" thread.

WyreWizard's posts are like Vietnamese Punji stick traps.
And you fell into one.   Buggedout
You're more gullible than I thought you were.

Tread carefully.

Not at all.  I knew it was a troll and had a few minutes to spare.  I felt charitable and thought "even trolls get hungry, too."

TeddyR TeddyR

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2007, 02:15:50 PM »

I dunno. Them commercials with the sophisticated cavemen trying to pass of as smart is WRONG! I have met many Neandrethals,and they are some stoopid SOBs. I mean even the dinosaurs that Iv'e met are smarter. And , regardless of popular belief,Teradactyls are very good chess players.But they  stink at cards! Go figure. : Twirling

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2007, 04:16:17 PM »

I'm just shaking my head. WyreWizard has become like a gnat, annoying but of little consequence.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2007, 08:07:32 PM »

Not at all.  I knew it was a troll and had a few minutes to spare.  I felt charitable and thought "even trolls get hungry, too."
TeddyR TeddyR

Ah...
I was wondering what you were doing replying to this thread.

Andrew needs to make a sign for WyreWizard...similar to the one he made for Menard.
Dennis
Yes, it's true, absolutely true. I am a

I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2007, 08:10:23 PM »

I dunno. Them commercials with the sophisticated cavemen trying to pass of as smart is WRONG! I have met many Neandrethals,and they are some stoopid SOBs. I mean even the dinosaurs that Iv'e met are smarter. And , regardless of popular belief,Teradactyls are very good chess players.But they  stink at cards! Go figure. : Twirling

I played Texas hold 'em with a couple of Teradactyls last night and just about lost my shirt, I guess I really stink at cards, huh. Buggedout

Reach for the heavens in hope for the future for all that we can be, not what we are. Henry John Deutschendorf Jr.
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2007, 10:29:04 PM »

Actually, I looked over his post and decided it was pretty sub-par for him.  Not only did he cover territory already covered, but he didn't get my interest.  I gave this troll post a 3.5.  Average effort, nothing new, and mostly repeating an earlier one.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2007, 11:35:59 PM »

this thread seems familiar

Yeah, it does.
By the way, did you know they don't allow dogs in church?
And how does a bachelor become "confirmed"?

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
Poogie
Bad Movie Lover

uuummmmmm.....BOO!

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2007, 11:46:33 PM »

LilCerberus......Is that guy in your avatar ever going to get that thing out of his nose?  TeddyR

Boogie...Boogie...Boogie...Boogie...  
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  The most deceptive and misleading commercial I have seen « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.