Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:23:02 PM
713370 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Battle in Wonka town « previous next »
Poll
Question: Who is the superior Wonka?
Gene Wilder - 21 (91.3%)
Johnny Depp - 2 (8.7%)
Total Voters: 23

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Battle in Wonka town  (Read 12865 times)
KYGOTC
Corprate slimeball of E.E.S.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Be EXELLENT to each other...and PARTY ON DUDES!!

« on: February 21, 2007, 09:56:40 PM »

I had a vision. I want to draw a really big mural of a big battlefield that has oompa loompas from both movies fighting eachother B.C. style. Wilder commanding one army, Depp commanding the other. It'll be awxsome when its done. But, seriously, who did an overall better job? Or which movie was overall better?

"I'm a man too, you know! I go pee-pee standing up!"
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 11:40:39 AM »

While I enjoyed Depp's Wonka, Wilder does a better job of making Wonka a human being. An odd human being, but a human being nonetheless. Depp's "Michael Jackson on (yet more) acid" Wonka is interesting but just not as believable as a character. Wilder's portrayal, as a bonus, seems closer to the Wonka of the book as well.

That said, I did particularly like the fact that Depp's Wonka is afraid of/repulsed by children; it made for some good comedic moments.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 12:18:35 PM »

Our resident Zombiedudeman is good at drawing messed up stuff like your Wonka battle.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 10:14:16 PM by Ashthecat » Logged
Poogie
Bad Movie Lover

uuummmmmm.....BOO!

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 12:42:57 PM »

I liked both movies, but I liked Gene Wilder's better, probably because it was the first one.  Smile

Boogie...Boogie...Boogie...Boogie...  
raj

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 01:44:57 PM »

Depp's was good.  There were a couple of things that did bother me though.  One was Depp's Wonka towards the beginning saying that the children weren't going to be harmed (maybe just scared).  In the original, there were no guarantees, the one girl might have stayed a blueberry.  Another was the Oompah - Loompahs; I much preferred having different people filling out the roster rather than CGIing one guy.  That's kinda cheating in my book.

Sets were great in both (though I can see a theme park being built around Depp's Wonkaland), and Depp's Wonka had a bit more depth of character.

Upshot, it is Wilder's version by an everlasting gobstopper.
Him
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 02:59:20 PM »

The main difference between the two is wilder's Wonka always seemed to know more what was going on than everyone else. He seemed to know more about the world than everyone else. He was always in command of the situation.

Depps Wonka seemed oblivious to the real world. He seemed naive to the real world. He didn't have the same command of the situation that Wilder's Wonka had.

I prefer Wilder's Wonka.
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 05:22:42 PM »

Another was the Oompah - Loompahs; I much preferred having different people filling out the roster rather than CGIing one guy.  That's kinda cheating in my book.

For the record, Deep Roy's Oompah-Loompahs were only marginally CGI. For each OL that appears on screen, Deep Roy did a separate performance. 50 OLs on screen? 50 performances by Deep Roy. The CGI was only used to assemble them all into one scene. I personally was rather impressed by that. Most film makers would have taken the easier, one-take-reproduced-50-times route. According to IMDB, that garnered him a cool million dollars.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
Automan2000
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2007, 02:24:52 PM »

Depp FTW!!

Seriously Depp is a far better actor that Wilder and he really brought to life a character that been in a self-imposed exile for many years. someone like that is going to seem a little naive and out of touch.
Dennis
Yes, it's true, absolutely true. I am a

I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2007, 11:34:32 PM »

I think that Gene Wilder gives a better performance as Willy Wonka, he just seems more life-like than Johnny Depp, who seems to be kind of wooden as Willy Wonka, probably just a personal preference, I think Gene Wilder would be awful as Jack Sparrow.
Both Wonka movies are good, I just think the original is the better of the two.

Reach for the heavens in hope for the future for all that we can be, not what we are. Henry John Deutschendorf Jr.
raj

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2007, 03:30:09 PM »

Thanks for the clarification, Derf.  I had heard it was just one performance that was repeated.  I still like having multiple, different O-Ls.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2007, 04:31:26 PM »

Can you guess who I picked? 

I have never loved the first film, though I like it and do love the score.  I think the first film is quite stagy, but I do think Gene Wilder was wonderful and more likeable as Wonka, and feel all the actors hit  just the right note for a child-film fantasy. 

The second film is far more disturbing, and Johnny Depp downright creepy as Wonka.  I thought the first sequence in the factory with the animatronic figures catching fire was brilliant, but apparently not appealing to youngsters (I could see nightmares fueled by that bit).  I did like Depp's subtly sinister Wonka.

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
KYGOTC
Corprate slimeball of E.E.S.

Be EXELLENT to each other...and PARTY ON DUDES!!

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2007, 04:42:56 PM »

I thought the first sequence in the factory with the animatronic figures catching fire was brilliant, but apparently not appealing to youngsters (I could see nightmares fueled by that bit). 

Ditto.

"I'm a man too, you know! I go pee-pee standing up!"
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Battle in Wonka town « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.