Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:25:41 PM
712920 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Dark Shadows (2012) « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Dark Shadows (2012)  (Read 23245 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2012, 12:40:28 AM »

I finally got to see this one tonight and I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked it!  It had its humorous moments, but was overall darker than i expected.  Depp was great as Collins, and Michelle Pfeiffer was very believable as Elizabeth.  Eva Green was SMOKING as Angelique too!  I am just old enough that I rmemeber watching the original, but nyoung enough not to really remember any details, so any departures from the original storyline were not as glaring and bothersome as they might have been.   Burton did nhis work well with this  one and had fun doing it!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2012, 05:21:56 PM »

Nobody (no one) got rich in the 18th or 19th century selling... FISH

DUMB MOVIE. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2012, 07:39:42 PM »

I'm a huge Dark Shadows fan, but for me it's all about Jonathan Frid, Grayson Hall, Alexandra Moltke, David Selby, Lara Parker and all the rest.  The "filmed live" nature of it, the wonderful sets, theme music and overall atmosphere.  Just making a movie with the same character names and a few shared plot points is nothing more than a novelty act IMO.

Right on. Same when I watched it as a kid. It was wonderfully tacky and borrowed heavily on recyling the actors for multiple roles almost as much as iriwn Allen recycled his props for his TV shows, but there was a classic feeling that was present that won't ever be re-created.

Perhaps much of that feeling does with the fact that it was TV's first true horror soap opera as well,  and also the fact that it was new and original, as well as Jonathan Frid's magentism as Barnabas.

Anyway I went to see the remake when it came out,  and I thought Johnny Depp was too young for the part, and the makeup was too pastel-looking. But there were some good parts...anyone catch Christopher Lee's cameo as the ship captain at the Blue Whale inn?  Thumbup
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2012, 07:45:56 PM »

I'm a huge Dark Shadows fan, but for me it's all about Jonathan Frid, Grayson Hall, Alexandra Moltke, David Selby, Lara Parker and all the rest.  The "filmed live" nature of it, the wonderful sets, theme music and overall atmosphere.  Just making a movie with the same character names and a few shared plot points is nothing more than a novelty act IMO.
Right on. Same when I watched it as a kid. It was wonderfully tacky and borrowed heavily on recyling the actors for multiple roles almost as much as iriwn Allen recycled his props for his TV shows, but there was a classic feeling that was present that won't ever be re-created.
Perhaps much of that feeling does with the fact that it was TV's first true horror soap opera as well,  and also the fact that it was new and original, as well as Jonathan Frid's magentism as Barnabas.
Anyway I went to see the remake when it came out,  and I thought Johnny Depp was too young for the part, and the makeup was too pastel-looking. But there were some good parts...anyone catch Christopher Lee's cameo as the ship captain at the Blue Whale inn?  Thumbup
I suppose there might be some good parts.  But, it was so dumb!  CHRISTOPHER LEE's cameo was a treat, though JONATHAN FRID's cameo was so quick that it was easy to miss. 

Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2012, 07:57:58 PM »

I suppose there might be some good parts.  But, it was so dumb!  CHRISTOPHER LEE's cameo was a treat, though JONATHAN FRID's cameo was so quick that it was easy to miss. 

I know....I didn't even see Jonathan Frid's cameo, although a few other people in the audience picked it out.  The girl I was with was one of them.

The one thing that was funny as all hell in the movie though is when Barnabas calls Alice Cooper "the ugliest woman ever." That got quite a roar from the crowd, LOL
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2012, 08:57:32 PM »

...The one thing that was funny as all hell in the movie though is when Barnabas calls Alice Cooper "the ugliest woman ever." That got quite a roar from the crowd, LOL
Yeh, that was one of the funny parts...

Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2012, 05:03:25 PM »

...The one thing that was funny as all hell in the movie though is when Barnabas calls Alice Cooper "the ugliest woman ever." That got quite a roar from the crowd, LOL
Yeh, that was one of the funny parts...

Yeah it was funny and it was funny too when Barnabas woke up ith the McDonald's sign above him. All in all, a strong effort but came up quite a bit short...
claws
« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2012, 03:26:42 AM »

I can see why this wasn't the huge hit it should have been. It's flawed, uneven and totally missing the typical Depp/Burton magic/charm. If anything, this felt like watching a beefed up but still empty version of The Addams Family.
That said, there are a few fun moments but they are far in between. My rating went down from 3/5 to 2.5/5. This remake didn't satisfy me  Bluesad
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2012, 04:30:21 AM »

I can see why this wasn't the huge hit it should have been. It's flawed, uneven and totally missing the typical Depp/Burton magic/charm.
Burton and Depp should try to avoid working together for a long time.  Their schtick has gotten old and lacks any real imagination anymore.
Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2012, 09:59:21 PM »

I can see why this wasn't the huge hit it should have been. It's flawed, uneven and totally missing the typical Depp/Burton magic/charm. If anything, this felt like watching a beefed up but still empty version of The Addams Family.
That said, there are a few fun moments but they are far in between. My rating went down from 3/5 to 2.5/5. This remake didn't satisfy me  Bluesad

I think that maybe,  in a way the Burton-Depp magic is slowly running out.

Burton has, in a way, over-used Depp for these type of movies (the Gothic-type stuff)  and in doing so, Depp has had to maybe sacrifice or cut back on certain aspects of his movies as to try to avoid typecasting.  Either that or it was just one of those things he just wasn't meant to do?
Fausto
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2012, 12:24:32 PM »

Elisa Hansen of TGWTG did a video review of Dark Shadows, and why Burton's film version didn't work. She hits on a lot of excellent points:

http://blip.tv/mavenoftheeventide/vampire-reviews-dark-shadows-6157411

"When I die, I hope you will use my body creatively." - Shin Chan

"Tonight, we will honor the greatest writers in America with a modest 9 by 12 certificate and a check for three thousand dollars...three thousand dollars? Stephen King makes more than that for writing boo on a cocktail napkin." - Jimmy Breslin
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Dark Shadows (2012) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.