Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:50:20 AM
714232 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7735 Members
Latest Member: WGUNannett
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Movie Reviews  |  Critters (unformatted) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Critters (unformatted)  (Read 4322 times)
CoreyHeldpen
Bad Movie Lover

I think these komodos need to leave this cruise.

« on: February 28, 2007, 10:10:31 PM »

Gremlins spawned many a mediocre rip-off.  Some were awful, such as Hobgoblins and Ghoulies. But there were one or two that were actually pretty good. Critters is one of these.

Critters opens with a jail break in outer space, with the escapees being hairy, vicious little monsters called Krites. They head for the nearest source of fresh meat: Earth. Soon enough they touch down in a small town in Kansas and begin wrecking havoc. Lucky for us Earthlings, a pair of shape-shifting aliens bounty hunters are right on the Krites' tails.

This is one of my all-time favorite movies. I've actually lost count of how many times I've seen it! Was it five? No, I think four... Or was it six? Whatever, I've watch this film more than any sane human being ever should. I love this movie for a reason, however; It's actually dang good.

The Chiodo Bros (Killer Klowns From Outer Space, Darkman) did the special effects, and they look fantastic for a film that came out in 1986. The transformations and spaceship effects were the best. The Krites themselves are kind of over the map: Sometimes they look good, such as in a shot where they are climbing a staircase, whereas other times they look rather fake, such as when one is chewing up a pitchfork. They are always fun to watch, however, and even kind of freaky earlier in, when they are mostly kept in the shadows.

A bit more about the Krites. They eat just about anything except, strangely, cats, and grow larger with every meal. They kind of look like porcupines on crack, only with lots of really big teeth. They curl up into balls when chasing prey and shoot their quills like tranquilizer darts. They do a lot of neat stuff, such as go bobbing for pet goldfish, attack ET dolls, and in one particularly creepy scene, even attempt to come down the chimney like a deranged alien Santa Claus.

The acting is excellent for this kind of film, as it should with a cast like Dee Wallace Stone, Scott Grimes, Billy Green Bush, Terrance Mann, and Nadine Vander Velde. I was a little dismayed by the low body count, but it made up for the lack of kills with some genuine suspense and memorably entertaining moments. And I can't explain enough how much I love the score!

So even though it has a few flaws here and there, and does skimp out on a few other things a flick like this should have a little more of, Critters is still darn good retro entertainment. Definitely worth a look!

SCORE:  Smile Smile Smile Smile (out of five)

« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 09:55:19 PM by CoreyHeldpen » Logged

"The only three things I hate are demons, malfunctioning robots, and monster movies that don't show you the monster."
Torgo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 11:36:08 PM »

Liked the 1st one a whole lot, the 2nd one had it's moments (mainly in the form of increased Critters mayhem) but the 3rd and 4th films were complete and utter crud.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Viktorcrayon
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 10:25:00 AM »

Yeah, i remember borrowing this movie from our old neighbour a long time ago. He was this excentric driving instructor with an alcohol problem.

The movie was very entertaining as far as i remember.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Movie Reviews  |  Critters (unformatted) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.