Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:26:49 PM
713370 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  V for Vendetta « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: V for Vendetta  (Read 10472 times)
clockworkcanary
Bad Movie Lover

« on: February 27, 2007, 09:10:02 AM »

I recently got this DVD .  I like this movie a lot.  Interesting it was based on a comic from the 80s (I think).  This is one of those rare films that I can watch repeatedly.  Natalie did way better in this than in the Star Wars prequels, IMO (although she wasn't given the best dialog to work with there sometimes).

Join us as we discuss all things schlock at Three Knock Theater podcast:

Facebook Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/197572800347267/

Youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrLYkyXabfSwpcRQjhUMErQ
Torgo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 12:29:23 PM »

I thought that they marketed V for Vendetta wrong. 

It really has only 2 big action set pieces and is mostly talking/ideas.  But that's what I think is the movie's strength is that it's just not another regular action movie.

Hugo Weaving's performance was astonishing as I completely forgot that he was wearing a mask throughout the entire film.  The mask becomes an extension of his performance instead of hindering it in anyway.

A lot of people slammed Natalie Portman's performance but I thought that she did a very believable job with a tough role in terms of the character arc that her character goes through.  (She's gorgeous as usual throughout, even with a shaved head.)

I really liked the set design and the rest of the cast was great. The direction was extremely sure handed and the music choices were well done.

Underrated IMO.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 12:30:58 PM »

I liked it but the comic is way better. Pick it up if you have the chance.

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

Viktorcrayon
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 02:12:16 PM »

It's a typical "holier than thou/nerd" thing to say, but the comic really is way better. I liked the movie, but i LOVED the comic.

Read "From hell", by Alan Moore as well. It's even better (especially compared to THAT movie...)
dean

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 02:57:38 AM »

The comic is awesome, Alan Moore is a personal legend of mine, but that being said the movie exceeded my expectations which admittedly was pretty low thinking 'oh no, how are they going to ruin this classic?'

Only a couple of moments didn't quite live up to what I expected, but they were small in comparison to how well I thought it went overall.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Kooshmeister
The King of Koosh!
Bad Movie Lover

Must have caffeine...

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007, 09:59:17 AM »

Saw this movie on the advice of my boyfriend, and I liked it a lot. I expected it to be nonstop Matrix-style battles (based on the previews), but was surprised when there ended up being only three fight scenes in the entire film. Only two of which lasted longer than a few seconds. Although I liked Hugo Weaving as V, my favorite aspect of the story was the subplot revolving around Inspector Finch and his slow realization that the government is evil and corrupt. I feel like in any other movie, Finch would've just been another villain for V to hit a lot, but here he's one of the most well-realized characters. I also loved Gordon Dietrich, and was sad when he got killed. I normally like the villains in film, but not when they're homophobic like Sutler and his followers. (I do admit I felt a little bit sorry for Sutler, but I cheered when Creedy bought it.)
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007, 11:38:04 AM »

I liked the whole "V" character. The story hit some good spots with the goverment thing, but I think they can do better with the topic.

Jim H

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2007, 10:41:43 PM »

I do have to give credit for a movie with a hero who's a justified terrorist working against a western government. 

I thought it was a solid movie.  Not great, but quite solid.  Hugo Weaving is great in it, like everything else he does.
dean

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2007, 08:55:35 AM »

One of the things I really liked about Sutler's character that they didn't include in the film was his somewhat erotic love for surveillence.  There was one scene in the comic where he was basically hugging the various computer screens of this hi-tech 'camera's everywhere' type machine.  Hehehe...

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Dennis
Yes, it's true, absolutely true. I am a

I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2007, 10:45:44 PM »

This film is one that my wife and I enjoyed enormously, have to watch it again, it's on the " Cinemax on demand" cable channel, I'm going to get the DVD too. It's an action film (of a sort) that makes you think. Kind of scary to think of how easy a repressive government could come to power if the people let it. The line "People should not fear their government, government should fear the people." is to a certain extent true.

Reach for the heavens in hope for the future for all that we can be, not what we are. Henry John Deutschendorf Jr.
Killer Bees
Newly Appointed Government Employee and

Never give up on love

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2007, 10:53:11 PM »

I LOVED this movie.  It's in my top 5 fave movies of all time.  I didn't know anything about the comic, not being a  comic book reader, so I'm alway assuming the movie subject to be lame and cheesy.  But I really loved this.

It affected me hugely.  Normally movies don't do that, but it stayed with me for a long time afterwards.  Hugo Weaving was just brilliant and I thought Natalie Portman did a pretty good English accent.  I cried uncontrollably when she was reading the story of that other prisoner.  And when she found out her incarceration was fake, I hated V as much as she did.  But as he explained his motivations, I found myself applauding him (and yes crying again).

I was shocked when Stephen Fry's character was black bagged.  I really thought he would have survived the arrest.  This film made me think that what happened could actually happen in real life and that is pretty scary.

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Bring back what once was mine
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
Bring back what once was mine
What once was mine.......
HarlotBug3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2007, 01:31:51 PM »

If you've read the graphic novel you'll understand why Alan Moore was so insulted that he took his name off the movie.

I could forgive most of the watering down, but the ending was a perfect example of how a make you think movie becomes just a movie. That 'uprising' was about as believable and encouraging as the end of Happy Feat.

Don't thank hollywood for a turd in the hand just because you're used to a turd in the mouth.   

"Do you have something against droppings?" "Well, no, I..." "Sure, everyone says that till they step in it."
Caronte
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2007, 05:01:51 AM »

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government, their government should be afraid of its peoples"

yeah!!  Cheers

Oldskool138
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2007, 09:06:37 AM »

Hitler and Stalin okay, they're monsters...history proves this...

Clinton and Bush?   I think including those two in that panel marginalizes the atrocities Hitler and Stalin committed.

Bush and Clinton have made some really (REALLY) bad decisions when dealing with our foreign policy but nothing in the realm of Stalin or Hitler.

He learned almost too late that man is a feeling creature... and because of it, the greatest in the universe........
-Dr. Paul Nelson (Peter Graves)

That gum you like is going to come back in style.
-The Man from Another Place
Caronte
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2007, 10:20:44 AM »

take it easy, it's only a pic, I would put in it Franco and Mussolini.

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  V for Vendetta « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.