Main Menu

Strange or funny things you've seen

Started by Dennis, March 04, 2007, 10:18:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis

While driving to work I've seen some funny/strange stuff, one is in front of a city fire station, I drive by about 7:00 AM every day and a least twice a week I used to see a guy who apparently is one of the firefighters. He is standing outside the fire station on the sidewalk, wearing pajama bottoms and a grey tee shirt that I assume has the words fire department on the front, can't see the  whole thing because he's also wearing a blue, green, and yellow stripped bath robe, has a cup of something in one hand and a lit cigarette in the other (probably why he's out there in the first place), now I don't really think this is that funny but his footware is, he's wearing those pink bunny slippers. I haven't seen the man in a while so maybe this was some sort of initiation or something along those lines. It was amusing while it lasted. :bouncegiggle:

So has anyone else seen anything out of the ordinary?

Reach for the heavens in hope for the future for all that we can be, not what we are. Henry John Deutschendorf Jr.

Trevor

:smile: Hi Dennis.

Come to South Africa, you'll see strange things all the time!  :teddyr:

:drink:
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness.

sideorderofninjas

Had a college professor teach computer graphics dressed as Marge Simpson for Halloween. 
SideOrderOfNinjas
http://www.sideorderofninjas.com

"Wielding useless trivia like a katana."

Yaddo 42

While I lived in Arlington, VA, I was driving through the DuPont Circle area in DC one Saturday afternoon. Got to see two guys having a fistfight on the front steps of a church.

The yearly rounds of teen girls pledging social clubs who must dress as clowns, hobos, (like they know what hobos are), in footie pajamas, etc. and go begging for money in public while their "friends" or sisters-to-be look on and laugh.

The live lion that was the mascot at my college alma mater. After that one died they got a lion and lioness to replace it. You can hear them roar on campus quite often especially on cold mornings. Not a lot of lions native to Alabama.

One night years ago, I saw a mother rabbit and her babies come hopping out of the building at work. I was stone sober and only one other person saw them besides me.

A buddy at work tried to catch an armadillo in the parking lot one night, he cornered it, and found out the hard way that they can jump straight up when frightened. I didn't see this, but I did see a dead one in the street. When I told him about it, he said it was probably the same one and told me his tale. Armadillos are still fairly rare here, you see more as road kill than live ones.

I saw a coyote run across a five lane highway once. Coyotes are not rare here now, I can remember when they were.

Saw a sewer gas explosion send a manhole cover about thirty feet into the air. It landed like a coin and swirled on it's edge for half a minute before coming to rest. You don't forget all of that noise.

Saw a guy at work, get his butt caught in a large conveyor belt, only scared him luckily. The pack of smokes in his back pockets were crushed flat and twisted into a horseshoe shape. Stopped him from losing a cheek probably, so smoking may have saved his life so to speak.
blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....

RCMerchant

When I lived outside of town a couple years back, I hadda whole messa feral cats living under an old shed and the old outhouse in back of my place. So I used to put leftovers out on the back porch.The food also attracted al sorts of wild animals like ccons and possuns.Well one morning I was making some coffe,and took a look outside the back door and WoaH! @ mangy looking coyotes are out there eating the cat food! I live in SW Michigan..and coyotes are not native to us...but have been spotted around here and there for the last couple of years..kinda bugged me out.
   When I was young,(about 13) I was standing behind the sink in our house washing dishes,and looking out the window out at the field in back of our place.Well....out across the field I see this big...I dunno...THING...running like a bat outta hell from  the woods and  booking across the field. It had big front end and small hind quarters. I couldn't make out any tail or head. Hot on it's heels were a pack of dogs,barking like hell after it;s ass! My brothers were in the back yard and saw it to. We didnt have the nerve to go investigate untill a couple of days later,and couldn't make out any identifiable tracks,though. Real weird.
Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."
Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant

Yaddo 42

I've mentioned this in other posts but it's worth repeating, and IRL people seem to love it too.

One year for homecoming week in high school, they decided to have a game of cowchip bingo as part of the festivities. In case you wonder, that's when you divide a patch of ground into a grid, like say a football field, people buy squares on that grid, you then place a cow on that grid and wait for nature to call. The person who has the grid or the closest to it that the cow craps on wins.

So there we are, 2/3 of the students who paid to get out of class and take part in homecoming events along with a large portion of the nearby town (so several hundread people) filling the football stadium waiting for a cow to take a dump.

Except the farmer who provided the main attraction brought more than one bovine star, he brought two - a bull and a cow. After releasing them onto the field, a a collective gasp of anticipation would pass over the crowd every time one of them would raise their tail.

Then the bull decided to heed another natural instinct, and he mounts the cow. Roars of laughter pass over the crowd. There we are, gathered together, paying spectators of a cattle sex show.

It's like Jean Shepherd meets Larry the Cable Guy, and Larry won.
blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....

Dennis

Quote from: Trevor on March 05, 2007, 12:29:11 AM
:smile: Hi Dennis.

Come to South Africa, you'll see strange things all the time!  :teddyr:

:drink:

Trevor, if we ever get the money and free time, (usually we have one but not the other) South Africa is one of the places we would like to see, the country looks really great on TV. :cheers: :cheers: :smile:

Reach for the heavens in hope for the future for all that we can be, not what we are. Henry John Deutschendorf Jr.

Trevor

:drink: Hi Dennis.

Yes, SA is a beautiful country but it is very unfortunate that it was and continues to be turbulent, with crime, corruption, etc  here there and everywhere.   :hatred:  That is not a legacy of apartheid (indeed, there has been racial discrimination in almost every country in the world but only South Africa made it a law of the land) but just that this beautiful country is so diverse in people and cultures that the country is a melting pot of all those things.

Places to see if you do come here (this goes for all BM.org users too)

1. First of all, come see me.  :teddyr:
2. Cape Town with all its' sights, including the mountain and Robben Island. Do not however go to Robben Island if you are not politically inclined.
3. The Kruger National Park
4. The Garden Route and the wine route ~ SA's wine is great and not so expensive.
5.  Durban and its sights.
6. Pretoria (where I am) and the Voortrekker Monument.
7. Johannesburg is another place you can go ~ take a tour to Soweto and go eat at Wandie's Place. Ask for pap en vleis (white maize meal porridge and meat) and I guarantee you will be full for the rest of the day. :teddyr: That meal is good for you, trust me.
8. Tour the Karroo and if you're here in April, go to the Arts Festival in Oudtshoorn. The silence in the Karroo is so absolute, you can hear yourself breathe. The air is so clean, you can get drunk on just breathing it.

I love my country, come enjoy it with me.  :smile:

Trevor

Sorry, I forgot, here's another South African delicacy for you.

It's called a smiley  :smile: and what you get when you order it is a cooked sheep's head. In order to enjoy it properly, you have to eat the eyes out first so that the damn thing is not watching you eat it.  :buggedout:

Yummy, actually.

RCMerchant

Quote from: Trevor on March 06, 2007, 05:20:46 AM
Sorry, I forgot, here's another South African delicacy for you.

It's called a smiley  :smile: and what you get when you order it is a cooked sheep's head. In order to enjoy it properly, you have to eat the eyes out first so that the damn thing is not watching you eat it.  :buggedout:

Yummy, actually.

I was at a Mexican party here in Michigan,and they had a pig head...and that was the first thing they ate too! My freind Johnny Rivas ate one,and I,after a BIG swig of El Presidente,ate the other! A big karma for you for bringing back that fun memory! :thumbup:
Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."
Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant

Trevor

:teddyr: Thank you for the karma, Sir and here's one for you.

Pig's head? Reminds me of when I was in my school play of Lord Of The Flies ~ I was the voice of the Lord. "You're a silly little boy, aren't you? Just a silly little boy." Cue one of the actors playing Simon vomiting and falling over.  :buggedout:

Ed, Ego and Superego

I once saw a truckload of stuffed easter bunnies in little suits and dresses scattered all over the highway after an accident.  It was one of the saddest sights I have ever seen. 
I
started to mentally write a short story of this tribe of escaped easter bunnies who make suits and dresses out of sticks and leaves and try to have a civilized living out in te highway margin.  Never went anywhere though.
-Ed
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes

BeyondTheGrave

Since I live in NYC I don't really know what qualifies as strange anymore.  :smile:

One time though I remember, I heard a car brake hard and looked out my window. Their was a guying laying on the street in front of the car. He just got up talked to the guy and walked off.

Bizarre.
Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

T-Rex Television

Ed, your story reminds me of one that happened to my father. I wasn't there, seeing I was only 4-5 at the time, but i think it's interesting. He was going to  Grateful Dead concert to New Jersey (from Mass.) in a Chevelle, and one the highway there, a giant big rig truck tipped over and the whoel highway was buzzing with bees, it was a bee-hauling truck. That must have been an awesome, but scary sight. The funny thing is that he's an extermintor! Ha
"Be still my dog of war, I understand your pain. We have all lost someone we love..."

Susan