Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:32:42 AM
713392 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Scott's Recommended Book List « previous next »
Poll
Question: Which Books Have You Read?
The Mustard Seed (Osho) - 0 (0%)
Tao Te Ching (Lao Tsu) - 2 (25%)
Bhagavad Gita - 0 (0%)
Meetings With Remarkable Men (Gurdjieff) - 0 (0%)
The Power Of Myth (Campbell & Moyers) - 1 (12.5%)
The Power Of Positive Thinking (Peale) - 1 (12.5%)
Thus Spake Zarathustra (Nietzsche) - 2 (25%)
The Pleasantries of the Incredible Mullah Nasrudin (Shah) - 0 (0%)
Journey of Awakening (Ram Dass) - 0 (0%)
Dhammapada - 0 (0%)
The Upanishads - 0 (0%)
Psycho-Cybernetics (Maltz) - 0 (0%)
The Enneads (Plotinus) - 0 (0%)
Zen Mind, Beginners Mind (Suzuki) - 2 (25%)
In Search of the Miraculous (P.D. Ouspensky) - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 4

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Scott's Recommended Book List  (Read 4890 times)
Scott
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« on: March 06, 2007, 12:31:21 AM »

Recently bought a book for .25 cents on a used book shelve that I read back in 1989. Which had me thinking about the best books I ever read.

From 1986 to 1996 I read voraciously during those 10 years and out of the hundreds of books these are the ones I remember the most and are most fond of. Which ones have you read and do you have any favorites not listed.

Also I have a list of very curious books that I will mention later, but for now these are books that I highly recommend. I'm thinking of re-reading all of them again someday soon.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 12:56:21 PM by Scott » Logged

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 07:31:39 AM »

Some really esoteric stuff there...I can see why you use the Budda avatar. My brother Richie also was really into Eastern philosophy.
The answer to the sound of one hand clapping is none. It takes two hands to clap(ie:yin and yang).That was my guess,anyway.
 Believe it or not,Charlie Manson was a big fan of the Power of Positive Thinking,as well as L.Ron Hubbards books,and Heinlans Stranger in a Strange Land...which gives you a little insight into his weird philosophy.
 oh,I haven't read any of the books you mention...I read mostly junk about flying saucers and movie related stuff...though I enjoyed hearing my brother talk alot about it.He Used to use rune stones alot,to.I used to call it "hippy-dippy"stuff,(in joking.)

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Scott

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 11:36:43 AM »

I have also read a lot on subjects such as UFO, Atlantis, Mu, Bigfoot, The Hollow Earth, Future Technology, Underground Bases and Tunnels, Mind Control, and Conspiracy.

On the Christian front I've read everything surrounding subjects of The Ark Of The Covenant, Nag Hammadi Discoveries, Lost Years of Jesus, The Holy Grail, Pseudepigrapha Books, Apocrypha Books, and the Dead Sea Scrolls.

In the History Department I like Books on the Ancient World, Age of Exploration, Westward Expansion, along with Biographies on Napoleon, Alexander the Great, and Religious figures.

Also I enjoy books about film, filmmaking, biographies, and autobiographies.

As far as Manson goes I'm very aware of his involvement with the Golden Dawn and his own little group, but wasn't aware he liked The Power Of Positive Thinking (Not that it matters.). Manson was and is messed up.

L. Ron Hubbard was ridiculous with his book Dianetics. The interesting thing about him is he created his own little Navy fleet and was outlawed by a number of countries who wouldn't let him make port. His groups presence is really strong on Hollywood Blvd with their own center on the walk of fame. Don't know why people like his religion. It's just a re-wording of existing states of being. A dubious psycho-analyst and philosophy at best.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 11:49:42 AM by Scott » Logged

Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 02:39:41 PM »

I underwent a Zen phase in college, but I don't really practice any more.   However I still use the meditation and relxation skills to this day. I TRIED the Upanishads, but it didn't work for me, so I didn't check those.
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Viktorcrayon
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 04:46:29 PM »

I forgot to tick of "nasrudin", i read that one as well.

I recognize about 80% of the books from my fathers book shelve tho. He's a religion teacher, and very much into eastern stuff.

Have you read Hermann Hesses, Siddharta? It's brilliant. Really made an impact on me.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 07:38:02 PM »

I like Charles Fort alot. He wasn't afraid to think outside the box...and wrote in plan terms,and made it assesable to common folks to enjoy as well.And he had a great sense of humor!
 John Keel is interesting,but a lot of the UFO books are extremaly limited of their definition of what they are,or where the are from.ET is NOT the answer,in my mind. The universe is soooobeyond our little anthill....
Cryptozoology fasinates me as well. And abnormal psychology,and history. Don't read too much fiction,though I like HP Lovecraft alot.
   Geez,I was in the middle of this thread,and my Ma called from New York...now I'm all off track in my head...she talks alot,bless her.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 10:40:03 PM »

Have you read Hermann Hesses, Siddharta? It's brilliant. Really made an impact on me.

I have read it and enjoyed it no end.  It was one of the starting points for my study of eastern religion too.  In some ways I like it better than the "pure" books, don't ask why.   
Another book that had an impact on me was Aldous Huxley's "Island".   

Just in case y'all think me an intellectual, I read a lot of crappy brain candy too!   TeddyR

For some fun thrills read the Repairman Jack series by F. Paul Wilson.   Its the Equalizer meets the X-files.

-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Scott

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2007, 11:08:31 AM »

Ed, read the Bhagavad Gita before reading the Upanishads and if you can find a copy of the Rig Veda then you can get a broader literary scope of Hinduism.

Victorcrayon, I've read Siddartha by Herman Hesse. The whole "journey" of Siddarthas life and the ending at the river ferry when he talks to his friend. Definately a must read.

RCMerchant, I recall our last conversation about these subjects. Charles Fort, John Keel, Von Dienken (in the 70's), Hans Holzer (in the 70's), Charles Berlitz (in the 70's), Sitchen, Anton Wilson, and David Icke are all favorite subjects of mine.

Some of the fringe religions you might want to check out are:

Mary Baker Eddy - Health and Science - Christian Science
Rev. Moon - The Divine Principle
The Book Of Mormon

I also enjoy Martial Arts material:

Secret Fighting Arts Of the World
The Way Of QiGong
Aikido: The Way Of Harmony
Chinese Boxing
Book Of Five Rings
The Art Of War

There are many more side subjects that I like and corresponding books.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 11:16:19 AM by Scott » Logged

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Scott's Recommended Book List « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.