Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2017, 02:42:17 PM
578449 Posts in 44524 Topics by 5855 Members
Latest Member: Nikhil
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Comments on websites disturb me « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Comments on websites disturb me  (Read 108 times)
Pacman000
Bad Movie Lover

« on: April 27, 2017, 12:27:24 PM »

https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/parents-need-know-blue-whale-challenge-204459793.html

Ok. Here's an article on a supposed online "game" aimed at teens which forces them to commit suicide. Pretty obvious urban legend, but teen suicides are a problem so this made Yahoo's front page. The comments are what worry me; the top rated comments, when I was reading the article, imply that anyone who would participate in such a game deserve to be removed from the breeding pool.  Buggedout I don't know what to say about that. That's just wrong.  Bluesad

claws
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 02:32:18 PM »

Disgusting, but that's the internet for ya. On a similar note, there was a top rated comment on youtube once that was removed. If I recall correctly it said "I'm no f**king f*g but Kurt Cobain is handsome" #honestfeels #tellingitlikeitis

It disturbs me that so many people would applaud such a bigoted comment.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 03:50:22 PM »

Kids today are all about the trolling. Gotta prove you're not a soft "SJW." Kids used to go liberal to shock their elders, now the pendulum's swung and they go hateful/bigoted. Half of them aren't serious about it. The other half are a***oles who feel emboldened by anonymity.

"The movie's over so fast that everybody that was watching it started honking their horns when the credits rolled. None of us could believe it. 'That's it?' I've has X-rays that used more film than this movie."-Joe Bob on THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE III
sprite75
The Cat Herder of Badmovies
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I'm a Mac...

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 10:28:07 AM »

Yeah, I rarely venture into the comment sections of most web sites because of stuff like this.  With online f**kheads it's a waste of time to try talking to them.

I prefer talking 'bout beer. 

God of making the characteristic which becomes dirty sends the hurricane.
kakihara
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: Today at 08:01:25 AM »

Its all negative. I usually read thru a few comments to see where people are. Wheather its a news story or a youtube video. Its almost always hateful but ive accepted it at this point. Sometimes its funny, the thread always devolves into name calling and someone being intellectually superior. Oh, and spelling mistakes! As soon as someone misspells something, someone will point it out.  Thats free speech for ya.  How does a red-wine braised turkey recipe turn into a socio-political arguement? I just want to know if this was a good recipe.

exterminate all rational thought.....
javakoala
Hermit of Horror
Bad Movie Lover

Does ANYBODY remember this guy?

« Reply #5 on: Today at 09:51:51 AM »

Oh, and spelling mistakes! As soon as someone misspells something, someone will point it out.  Thats free speech for ya. 

This is a pet peeve of mine. Not being called out because I misspelled something, but calling people out for not being able to navigate what should be a basic skill. Sure, call me a Grammar Nazi or a Spelling Nazi. When you cannot formulate and create a valid, CLEAR comment in the medium in which you respond, the validity and "intelligence" of your comment SHOULD be questioned.

I'm not talking a minor lapse in spelling or grammar. We all do that. When a person consistently displays poor writing skills, I have to begin questioning the person AND her/his/its argument. If a person is too lazy to look up a word, how in f**k am I supposed to trust they did any research into a given topic being commented on?

Unfortunately, part of the "entitlement" attitude online seems to think the tables should be turned and that I am supposed to wade through something that looks like random letters vomited onto the Web and then glean the message behind the gibberish. Yeah, it's MY FAULT that people cannot properly communicate an opinion, and pointing out the ineffectiveness of a person's communication skill makes ME the bad guy. Just like poor Dahmer wouldn't have killed those guys if they had not made themselves available, or that girl was BEGGING to be gang raped because she wore something that made her feel pretty or sexy.

Online culture is toxic, for the most part. My option of choice is to avoid and limit exposure to it. Again, just like grammar and spelling, it boils down to personal responsibility, which is sorely lacking in online culture. Screw that; personal responsibility is lacking everywhere these days.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #6 on: Today at 10:37:21 AM »

Oh, and spelling mistakes! As soon as someone misspells something, someone will point it out.  Thats free speech for ya. 

This is a pet peeve of mine. Not being called out because I misspelled something, but calling people out for not being able to navigate what should be a basic skill. Sure, call me a Grammar Nazi or a Spelling Nazi. When you cannot formulate and create a valid, CLEAR comment in the medium in which you respond, the validity and "intelligence" of your comment SHOULD be questioned.

I'm not talking a minor lapse in spelling or grammar. We all do that. When a person consistently displays poor writing skills, I have to begin questioning the person AND her/his/its argument. If a person is too lazy to look up a word, how in f**k am I supposed to trust they did any research into a given topic being commented on?

Unfortunately, part of the "entitlement" attitude online seems to think the tables should be turned and that I am supposed to wade through something that looks like random letters vomited onto the Web and then glean the message behind the gibberish. Yeah, it's MY FAULT that people cannot properly communicate an opinion, and pointing out the ineffectiveness of a person's communication skill makes ME the bad guy. Just like poor Dahmer wouldn't have killed those guys if they had not made themselves available, or that girl was BEGGING to be gang raped because she wore something that made her feel pretty or sexy.

Online culture is toxic, for the most part. My option of choice is to avoid and limit exposure to it. Again, just like grammar and spelling, it boils down to personal responsibility, which is sorely lacking in online culture. Screw that; personal responsibility is lacking everywhere these days.

Fair enough, I guess, but when someone uses consistently atrocious spelling or grammar, I just tend to ignore it (and them). I don't get angry or feel the need to call them out. I do sometimes get angry at the troll comments, but I try not to respond because that's what they want.

"The movie's over so fast that everybody that was watching it started honking their horns when the credits rolled. None of us could believe it. 'That's it?' I've has X-rays that used more film than this movie."-Joe Bob on THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE III
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Comments on websites disturb me « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.