Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:51:08 AM
713384 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Sound effect cliches « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Sound effect cliches  (Read 19700 times)
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2007, 12:09:00 PM »

The ones in the Kung Fu films are hilarious. The "whoosing" sound is one thing but something when guys are fighting and one strikes the other with a blow, sometimes it also sounds like car doors slamming.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Ed, Ego and Superego
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2007, 02:49:00 PM »

One kung fu film had every noise foleyd... walking had a "tap tap tap" sound, turning had "whoosh" etc.
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
fortunato
Bad Movie Lover

The laziest man on mars.

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2007, 03:47:24 PM »

Can anyone verify that the sound effects in the opening theme of Ginger Snaps are some of these same cliched effects we're talking about. The girls laughing definitely sounds like one to me.

Goblins still exist. Your Grandpa Seth is telling you!

Are you nuts? You tryin' ta turn me into a homo?

You're TEARING ME APART, Lisa!

"May I remind you that I am in command here! Only an idiot would attempt such a thing. I will do it myself."
biff_debris
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2007, 06:07:38 PM »

The one that gets to me every time I hear it -- and it's hard to describe -- is that "rowwlll" sound heard every once in a while on the old TV shows with canned laughter. I dunno if it was originally a sound that a human made, and it somehow became mangled in some sort of magnetic tape hell, but it doesn't sound remotely human, and always makes me think some hideous giant cat-thing is digging on The Brady Bunch or Gomer Pyle U.S.M.C.
Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2007, 05:22:50 AM »

In Kung Fu movies: The rustling noise all flapping clothes make when anyone jumps through the air.

I noticed the gun reports in the Indiana Jones flicks, most of the gun fire seemed amped up not just his revolver. Good added emphasis and distinctive from gunfire in most films, but not too realistic at least from the shooter's POV.

Another one is the whistling sound whenever something falls from a great height.  In WWII, the Germans put some sort of whistle (or something) on their bombs to make that noise, yet Hollywood seems to have gotten the idea than anything that falls makes that noise.

Yet I've always found the light noise of just the wind rushing past more effective when something is falling in a film. The quietness seems to add to the drama of the fall. Maybe we should blame cartoons, like the old WB shorts, when characters dropped stuff in those they began to "scream" instantly.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
Raffine

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2007, 11:06:19 AM »

If someone in a comedy throws something offscreen it always hits a cat and makes it yowl.

Thurder always sounds at the exact same time when you see the lightening.

Bird pop always makes a loud "sploich' noise whenever it hits someone.

Cockroaches always make a loud skuttling noise even when they run over carpet.

When a cow appears on camera it will immediately moo.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Dennis
Yes, it's true, absolutely true. I am a

I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2007, 08:02:20 PM »

The monkey sound for every jungle.
-Ed

There is one other sound that I hear in almost every jungle movie or TV episode in a jungle, doesn't seem to matter which continent their supposed to be on either. The strange part is the sound is the call of the kookaburra bird from Australia, apparently the good folks in movieland think this guy hangs out in jungles all over the world.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2007, 08:10:59 PM by DENNIS » Logged

Reach for the heavens in hope for the future for all that we can be, not what we are. Henry John Deutschendorf Jr.
Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2007, 05:52:18 AM »

Yeah, funny how thunderstorms can sneak up on people like that in movies, just all of a sudden be right on top of them so the delay between lightning and thunder is gone.

Between me and the horse farm (it really is too small to be called a ranch as I think about it) is pasture land. There were some donkeys, cows, and even a pair of sheep out there until recently. The cows rarely mooed, snorted and huffed more than anything. The donkeys brayed and hee hawed more often, but not that common without a cause. If you bring them treats and they get to hoping everytime they see you they will get carrots or apples or such, they will bray but they quickly learn. There was a young jack that would bray on his own when he would play and run around and get excited. But nothing like the movies.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
Raffine

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2007, 08:09:15 PM »

I recently learned the reason so many people keep a donkey or two in with their cows and horses is that cows and horses will run from a coyote but a donkey will stand its ground and fight.

I thought is was because the donkeys were just so darn cute.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Capt_Scrummy
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2007, 08:55:47 PM »

This isn't a sound effect, but something that always p**sed me off was when sitcoms were filmed in front of a live television audience that provided a "natural" laugh-track. 

I specifically got annoyed when two characters would kiss and the audience would go "woooooOOOOOOh!" or something like that.  It was even funnier when they made that sound for a character who had just made a dramatic stand - a "woooooOOOOOOh!" usually followed by clapping. 

I miss the low quality laugh-tracks.
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2007, 01:44:15 AM »

The sound effect I've always hated is the that really annoying scream that's like "NNNNRRRRAAAAAAWWWWWW!"  I think it was on Mortal Kombat, but I know for a fact it was on The Medallion, and Jackie Chan's character actually made the scream.  It's also on countless low budget movies and commercials.  I don't even know what it's called, but I've heard that no one knows the actual origin of the scream.  It just showed up in one movie and has been around since. 

I also kind of hate the roar that Jaws made in Jaws: The Revenge.  It's been used quite a bit in horror films, but JtR really made it despicable.
Joe
Bad Movie Lover

What are you afraid of? It's only rock n' roll.

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2007, 04:36:18 AM »

that godforsaken scream track, i particularly remember it from the "Ahhh! real monsters' cartoon ot the end of the intro. ive heard used a million times and i hate it.
DistantJ
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2007, 11:34:14 AM »

Whenever there is a group of kids playing I hear the same sound effect of kids laughing.

God, that one laughter sample drives me nuts. It's so easy to recognise.

What about the continued use of the 'theme' and sounds from the ATARI 2600 Pac-Man(duhn...duhn duhn...duhn...POK! oooEEPP!)for any and all video game representations in films?

Am I the only one who finds it insanely stupid that even today in movies, where games have reached the point where they're almost cinematic, you'll see somebody playing on a videogame and it'll be making 'bleep bleep zap zap' sounds like something from the Atari 2600?

Sometimes it's really wierd, because they'll be holding like a PlayStation 2 controller or something, and it'll be making sounds from Pac-Man.
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2007, 12:33:17 PM »

There's one that I always hear and that's the one of a crowd of people gasping in surprise.
It's usually used on TV shows.
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2007, 03:54:19 PM »

WHen someone is typing on a computer, each keystroke beeps. 
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Sound effect cliches « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.