Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:26:34 PM
713361 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Sound effect cliches « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Sound effect cliches  (Read 19697 times)
Capt_Scrummy
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2007, 04:15:49 PM »

Bed squeaks whenever somebody's having sex.  Does everybody in Hollywood have a bad mattress?
ulthar
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2007, 08:14:22 PM »

WHen someone is typing on a computer, each keystroke beeps. 
-Ed

Ooo...good one.  Similarly, how about when text is appearing on the screen (someone on the OTHER end is typing), it makes a typing, or other, sound.

In WAR GAMES, the text sound effects were cool.  In all other movies, they are just teh lamers. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Yaddo 42
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2007, 10:54:44 PM »

The sound effect I've always hated is the that really annoying scream that's like "NNNNRRRRAAAAAAWWWWWW!"

I even heard it on a promo for one of the CSI series not to long ago when someone fell (or was pushed, whatever, I hate those shows) off a building. Totally distracted from anything else they tried to get across.

As for old style video game noises, do the producers have to license the use of sound effects just like they would music? Or maybe it's the same as using lookalike products or blocking parts of logos of real products that aren't paid product placements. Are the Atari 2600 noise free to use or in lots of sound effects compilations that post production studios use? When I hear the wrong noises, I just pretend they're playing an emulator of old school games. Why anyone would want to still play Pac-Man 2600 style I have no idea.

I recently learned the reason so many people keep a donkey or two in with their cows and horses is that cows and horses will run from a coyote but a donkey will stand its ground and fight.

I thought is was because the donkeys were just so darn cute.

Nope. Donkeys cost money to care for and feed the same as other livestock, unless the owner has money to burn those jackasses are there for a reason. Donkeys and dogs don't mix either, that's one of the reasons I didn't get my dog back from my friends when I moved here. I'd never forgive myself if that little Jack Russell Terrier (a breed that acts like it's a bigger dog than it is) got through or under the fence and met up with a donkey. I saw that cute friendly playful jack I mentioned turn stone cold and ready to kill when the neighbor's barky but harmless dog got his attention one day. The dog was across the fence and on the other side of the road still in it's yard, lucky for her.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2020, 11:57:50 PM »

If someone in a comedy throws something offscreen it always hits a cat and makes it yowl.

Thurder always sounds at the exact same time when you see the lightening.

Bird pop always makes a loud "sploich' noise whenever it hits someone.

Cockroaches always make a loud skuttling noise even when they run over carpet.

When a cow appears on camera it will immediately moo.

BounceGiggle BounceGiggle

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
kornula
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2020, 03:20:35 AM »

I swear I'm going to make a hacker movie and every time someone is typing away at a computer, I'm going to use this...even if they are already connected online.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9ZQgaHpM9I
pacman000
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2020, 06:59:33 AM »

Whenever there is a group of kids playing I hear the same sound effect of kids laughing.

God, that one laughter sample drives me nuts. It's so easy to recognise.

What about the continued use of the 'theme' and sounds from the ATARI 2600 Pac-Man(duhn...duhn duhn...duhn...POK! oooEEPP!)for any and all video game representations in films?

Am I the only one who finds it insanely stupid that even today in movies, where games have reached the point where they're almost cinematic, you'll see somebody playing on a videogame and it'll be making 'bleep bleep zap zap' sounds like something from the Atari 2600?

Sometimes it's really wierd, because they'll be holding like a PlayStation 2 controller or something, and it'll be making sounds from Pac-Man.
Don't forget about 2600 Donkey Kong; its sound fx get a lot of use too.
kornula
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2020, 06:43:37 PM »

I was shocked that a movie with either a Tandy 4000 or a Comodore 64 (with cassette drive no less) was used promenntly in EVILSPEAK (With Clint Howard) He stole the Military Academy's big ass computer and dragged it down to the creepy cobweb infested, torchlit basement (in 1981... guess the military spent all their money on the one computer instead of lightbulbs)

Anyway, every time Clint started typing, something very unique and odd happened, there was no "beeping" or "booping" computer SFX what so ever. All we  heard was the sound of the keyboard clicking away..  And this was in 1981!!!
jimpickens
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2020, 12:28:49 AM »

Silenced firearms having the pew pew or phttt sound when in in reality it sounds like firecrackers going off movies where all gunshots regardless of the caliber sounds the same Euro crime and action movies as well as westerns are notorious for this.
pacman000
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2020, 12:57:21 PM »

Lasers: They’re either high-pitched whistling, as in War of the Worlds or those “Pew Pew” sounds from Star Wars.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2020, 01:15:54 PM »

If someone in a comedy throws something offscreen it always hits a cat and makes it yowl.

Thurder always sounds at the exact same time when you see the lightening.

Bird pop always makes a loud "sploich' noise whenever it hits someone.

Cockroaches always make a loud skuttling noise even when they run over carpet.

When a cow appears on camera it will immediately moo.

BounceGiggle BounceGiggle

Rest in power, Raff: we miss you.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Sound effect cliches « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.