Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:07:35 PM
712920 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  American Idol « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: American Idol  (Read 41467 times)
Scott
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« on: March 09, 2007, 12:07:00 AM »

Been hearing that the group this year weren't as good as previous years, but after I watched it tonight with my wife I have to dissagree. They were very good. Possibly better than previous years in my opinion. They also have changed the format which makes the whole thing more interesting with showcasing the group of competitiors at the beginning for comparisons. Also you have the elimination and advancement process were America voted and the contestants are brought to center stage for what feels like a public execution. Then they have the ones that have to leave the show sing one last time. The whole show captured my interest for the finale of this season, so I guess I'll be watching the rest till the next American Idol is chosen.

Thumbup Thumbup Giving tonights show two thumbs up.

Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 02:24:17 AM »

I never got into American Idol until Season 3.
Once I watched it though, I was hooked.

It is a pretty good show, especially the first few weeks when they hold the auditions.
Now that's some good television!   Thumbup

I've been a die hard watcher of the show until this season.
I watched all of the auditions this season but haven't kept up after that.
Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 07:31:53 AM »

Not a fan of the show, I tried early on, but the style of singers and the music selection is not up my alley. Let them have a Screamin' Jay Hawkins night and I'm there.

But this show is huge in Alabama, especially when people from the state are in the running. Ruben Studdard, Bo Bice, and Taylor Hicks are like instant folk heroes around here. The annoying popular Rick & Bubba radio show based in AL that airs across the South spends a lot of time picking the show apart they are such huge fans (that pun's too easy, so not intended).

Bo Bice apparently attended my college for a semester or two, they have degrees relating working in the music industry, performing and behind the scenes. He also used to perform here, especially during our annual WC Handy Music Festival. I remember seeing his name on bills and marquees back then. If I ever saw him perform I don't remember it.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007, 09:39:23 AM »

The one thing that always bugged me about Taylor Hicks was his age and his appearance.
When he won American Idol, he looked like he was 49 years old...not 29.

I'm 3 years older than him and I can pass for 22-25 years of age if I'm clean shaven.

He seriously needs to get one of those "Just for Men" hair color kits.

By the way, what causes a man in his 20's to go totally grey like Hicks?
Usually, it's kids that bring out the grey hairs...but to my knowledge, he doesn't have any kids.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 09:45:51 AM by Ash » Logged
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2007, 09:50:06 AM »

Usually, it's kids that bring out the grey hairs...but to my knowledge, he doesn't have any kids.

Uh?   Kids has NOTHING to do with it.  The Mayo Clinic may help clear this up.

Another site has this to say:

People can get gray hair at any age. Some people go gray at a young age - as early as when they are in high school or college - whereas others may be in their 30s or 40s before they see that first gray hair. How early we get gray hair is determined by our genes. This means that most of us will start having gray hairs around the same age that our parents or grandparents first did.

The pigment levels are "programmed in" and Taylor (and many others, I cannot believe you don't know someone, male or female, that has greyed in their 20's) just lost his pigment early.

Who really cares?  I always thought this was one of those vanity things that does not make a lot of sense to me personally.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 09:52:30 AM by ulthar » Logged

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
ulthar

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2007, 10:01:35 AM »

My wife likes Americn Idol. Sometimes I watch it with her.  Truthfully, I'd rather watch that that one of the myriad copycat sitcoms or CSI clones on tv.  It reminds me of the old "variety show" days like when Carol Burnette was on.  You know, back when TV was ENTERTAINING.

That said, one thing I REALLY hate about the show is the whole "America Picks" format.  The results are NOT based on talent (as we saw last night at the end with that one dude that got voted off); I first became aware of this when Jennifer Hudson got voted off a few seasons back (that was the first season I watched it).  As Simon Cowell is always saying, "it's a singing competition" yet the people that vote are NOT singing experts or even really care all that much about the quality of the singing.  It reminds me of a high school popularity contest.

I think a better format would be for "America" to choose the bottom two or three, then of those, the judges pick who leaves.  I *THINK* this is the way the second season of "So You Thing You Can Dance" (same producers) worked.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--Real Genius
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2007, 10:25:31 AM »

The only way I would watch this crap is if you tied me to a chair and taped my eyelids back. I hate these kind of shows (so called reality) and their manufactured drama.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2007, 10:29:34 AM »

Ditto that, Trekgeezer.

It puts the lotion on its skin... or else it watches Idol again!
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2007, 10:41:48 AM »

Ditto that, Trekgeezer.

It puts the lotion on its skin... or else it watches Idol again!

LOL Joe Dirt ... love that movie.

HATES American Idol or any reality type shows ... I live reality, don't need to watch it on TV.

ulthar

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2007, 11:04:55 AM »

I hate these kind of shows (so called reality) and their manufactured drama.

I agree with that sentiment.  100%.  The 'drama' is stupid, like the LOOOONG pauses before announcing who loses or hte LOOOOONG speeches when telling someone how much they suck.

But.

There's singing.  And some of it is not half bad.  I'm not defending American Idol at all.  I could not care less if it just went away.  I'm just saying that not everyone watches it for its pretense of "reality."

--Real Genius
Katie
B-Movie Widow
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2007, 11:41:46 AM »

I do watch the show and often subject Andrew to it.  The show is best if you have a DVR.  I can watch the show in 1/3 its normal run time.  There are too many commercials and I could care less what Ryan Seacrest thinks.  He is annoying, but I love to hear Simon.  I agree with most of his comments.  He can come across as a jerk, but that is how it is at an audition.  If you can't handle the truth, you'll never make it.  I do think this season should have been broken into guys and gals.  The guys have a totally different sound than the gals.  There are six of them that I would buy CDs from.  Only two of which are guys.
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2007, 11:51:35 AM »

I do watch the show and often subject Andrew to it. 

Katie makes typing mistakes from time to time.  Let me fix that for you, my dear.

Quote from: Katie
I do watch the show and often subject inflict it upon Andrew to it

There, all better.  Aren't you supposed to be getting a shower?

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
JPickettIII
A BAD MOVIE IS A TERRIBLE THING TO WASTE!
Bad Movie Lover

HELP! WE ARE STUCK IN A GOOD MOVIE!!!

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2007, 12:17:46 PM »

I think that the show is Utterly Boring.

/\
                                                  |
                                          What a dork!!!!

Twirling Lookingup
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 12:19:41 PM by JPickettIII » Logged

\\\\\\\"Freedom is not free\"\\\\\\ or ///\"Where ever you go, there you are!\"///
Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2007, 06:51:11 AM »

Uh?   Kids has NOTHING to do with it.  The Mayo Clinic may help clear this up.

Another site has this to say:

People can get gray hair at any age. Some people go gray at a young age - as early as when they are in high school or college - whereas others may be in their 30s or 40s before they see that first gray hair. How early we get gray hair is determined by our genes. This means that most of us will start having gray hairs around the same age that our parents or grandparents first did.

The pigment levels are "programmed in" and Taylor (and many others, I cannot believe you don't know someone, male or female, that has greyed in their 20's) just lost his pigment early.

Who really cares?  I always thought this was one of those vanity things that does not make a lot of sense to me personally.

Or how about people with "skunk spots" when small patches turn grey while the rest of the hair retains it's natural color.

My first grey hair was found and plucked out by my cousin on my sixth birthday. I have enough that I notice them, especially when I'm due for a haircut. The loss of pigment in hair is preprogrammed just like hair loss is. I have male cousins who will be practically bald before they see 40. Their dad was like that by the time he was 30.

Ash and I are roughly the same age, yet I also can pass for mid-20s most of the time. I figure my hair turning will give me away before anything else as long as I take care of myself and from looking at older relatives.

Back to topic sorta, the hair seems to have given Hicks a trait for people to latch onto, a sympathic or humanizing element. I know I've heard him on the radio, yet he made no impression on me, can't remember anything about his voice. Even saw him in some car commercials on TV, don't remember any of the audio and I have a pretty decent memory for tunes and songs.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
Jim H

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2007, 05:15:43 PM »

Why do almost all the singers on American Idol constantly flux their voices on long notes?  Are they really not capable of holding a steady note?  I find it very irritating.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  American Idol « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.