Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:17:10 PM
712917 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Beneath the Planet of the Apes « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Beneath the Planet of the Apes  (Read 32137 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: March 10, 2007, 05:22:42 AM »

Another astronaut, who looks a little like Charlton Heston, discovers a choir of mutants living beneath the ruins of New York.  The mutants worship a doomsday bomb that was left over from the apocalypse.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2007, 08:37:11 AM »

Of the whole series,this has always been my favorite! I love the Grand Central Station set!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Yannick
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2007, 08:27:14 PM »

This movie is the best of the whole series.
KYGOTC
Corprate slimeball of E.E.S.

Be EXELLENT to each other...and PARTY ON DUDES!!

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007, 12:32:49 AM »

i don't think the Planet of the Apes movies are considered b-movies. I think they're more along the lines of "classic si-fi"

"I'm a man too, you know! I go pee-pee standing up!"
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2007, 06:43:15 AM »

The picture on the front of BAD MOVIES page looks like Bill Murray with no skin!!! I recall being freaked out as a kid when the mutants "revealed their true self". YIKES!!! I agree,BENEATH is a classic! Thumbup

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Greenhornet
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2007, 07:18:02 PM »

You know, in the TV series they mention the destruction of the ape civilization by the bomb.  hot
Raffine

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2007, 11:28:07 AM »

The picture on the front of BAD MOVIES page looks like Bill Murray with no skin!!!

Funny, I was thinking the same thing.

A couple of thoughts about some other films in the ape series:

In Escape from the planet of the Apes, with all the fancy high tech makeup couldn't they do better than that guy in the moth-eaten gorilla suit that throttles Sal Mineo?

I still can't get over the fact a major studio made Conquest of the Planet of the Apes. It's the only movie I know of  where the audience is supposed to root for a non-human species to overthrow the human race! It could be the most subversive movie ever made.

A major flaw in the Battle for the Apes is when Ceasar shouts "Now! Fight like apes!" none of the apes start flinging their dung.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2007, 07:36:18 PM »

Here's to the "Fatman Villain"

There was . . .

Laird Cregar (1940 - 1945)
Sidney Greenstreet (1941 - 1949)
Dan Seymour (1942 - 1978)

and Victor Buono (1959 - 1982)

Who appears in the film, and whose image, I believe can be seen among the images, at the review for the film.

One of the most beloved actors in Hollywood. His fellow actors gave him the distinct honor of nominating him for an Oscar for Best Supporting Actor for his motion picture debut as Bette Davis' boyfriend in "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane."

Directors and editors loved him, because no matter how many times he was asked to redo a scene, he always did it a little differently, giving them something to work with.

And writers loved him, because he could make the most ridiculous dialog sound sublime. Indeed, it is said that the writers of "Batman" competed to see who could write the most ridiculous dialog for him to say.

Here is to Victor Buono. He died too soon.

As a Lutheran, I like that joke Andrew makes about Lutherans in his review of the film. It may not seem like it, but we Lutherans do have a sense of humor.
BTM

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2007, 09:20:28 PM »

Heard different rumors as to why Heston is only in a small part of this film.  One was he wasn't really interested in doing a sequel in the first place, but got fanagled (sp?) into it somehow.  The other is that the budget for the second was drasticly cut, so they saved money by not having Heston in too many scenes.  Dunno which, if either, rumor is true (although seeing the crappy ape masks on the minor characters kind of supports the budget rumor.)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 12:07:30 AM by BTM » Logged

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2007, 09:09:27 AM »

Heard different rumors as to why Heston is only in a small part of this film.  One was he wasn't really interesting in doing a sequel in the first place, but got fanagled (sp?) into it somehow.  The other is that the budget for the second was drasticily cut, so they saved money by having not having Heston in too many scenes.  Dunno which, if either, rumor is true (although seeing the crappy ape masks on the minor characters kind of supports the budget rumor.)

According to IMDB ...
Quote from: IMBD

Charlton Heston was reluctant to reprise the role of George Taylor for this movie. He eventually agreed on condition that his scenes had to be shot within a two week period. He also insisted that Taylor had to be killed.

Raffine

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2007, 10:38:56 AM »

Another casting oddity in this one is this is the only of the 'Ape' films to not feature Roddy McDowall. I believe he was off directing a film so Cornelius was played by, uh, somebody else. McDowall also starred in the televison series. A lesser know series regular was Natalie Trundy, who appeared in all but the first film. She was the blonde mutant in 'Beneath', the lady human doctor in 'Escape', and Lisa the Chimp in 'Conquest' and 'Battle'.  She was married to the producer, or something.

At the height of Ape-mainia I remember McDowall appearing on The Carol Burnett Show in full makeup. You could buy 'Ape'  merchandise everywhere. I had an 'Ape' garbage can in my bedroom. Our local drive-in had a "GO APE!!!" special night and showed all five films!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 10:44:56 AM by Raffine » Logged

Raffine

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2007, 10:43:36 AM »

Laird Cregar (1940 - 1945)

Hangover Square, his last film, is one of my favorites. The Lodger is great, too.

Cregar died right after completing Hangover Square officially due to a heart attack brought on by excess dieting. A person I know who's dad worked at Fox during th 40's and 50's claims he died due to botched weight-reduction surgery, where the doctors literally cut layers of fat from his body.

Cult Movie Mania
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2008, 08:44:06 PM »

Of the whole series,this has always been my favorite! I love the Grand Central Station set!

I liked it a lot, but I'd have to say it's my least favorite simply due to the absence of Roddy McDowell.  When you compare it to the original and other sequels - his presence is sorely missed.  IMO, it was the entry that most closely resembled the TV show.  On the positive side, the sets were good, and it's always fun seeing Don Pedro Colley and Victor Buono.

This is the movie I'm currently watching, and it's the first time I've seen it in its entirety!

Your weird wide web HQ for the BEST Cult and Horror Movie coverage!
www.cultmoviemania.com
www.filthythemovie.com
Surveysamm
New Visitor

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2008, 03:21:24 PM »

BTM, Heston said on the 1998 AMC Planet of the Apes special documentary that he did not want to do the whole first sequel so they let him just have a small part. Not much to do with budget issues was he only in the film a little. I like the sequel as it is faster paced than the first POTA film. I hate the way the mutants are written to unnecessarily try to kill their three non-mutant human prisoners!
Surveysamm
New Visitor

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2008, 03:31:21 PM »

Raffine, Cornelius was played in BTPOTA by David Watson. I think Watson does about as good a job as McDowall here! I see not that much difference in their performances!
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Beneath the Planet of the Apes « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.