Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:11:02 PM
712916 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Frank Miller's 300 (2007) « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Frank Miller's 300 (2007)  (Read 39228 times)
Neville
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2007, 07:54:14 AM »

If you enjoyed that one, give "It's raining 300 men" a chance.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Jim H

« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2007, 12:55:34 PM »

On the note of freedom, I thought all the talk of it was rather silly, considering the state of the majority of the population of Sparta and how incredibly harsh their society often was.  Citizenship in Sparta was inheirited, which in the end was a major reason for their downfall.  The helots were, more or less, slaves.

I don't mind historical innaccuracy, but movies in the ancient world constantly talking about how great freedom is seem to just be trying to spark the American mindset into rooting for the main characters.  It's kind of a lazy way of doing it, and felt rather forced in 300.  It's enough that they were defending their homes from being conquered and standing up for themselves - a right all peoples of the world have.
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2007, 02:30:07 PM »

The helots were, more or less, slaves.

The Helots were akin to serfs in feudal times. They were not bought and sold, but were tied to the land.

One of the rites of passage for Spartan warriors was to murder a Helot. It's interesting that the point of the exercise was not the murder itself, but rather to avoid getting caught committing it.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 07:11:33 AM by trekgeezer » Logged

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
akiratubo

« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2007, 05:19:34 PM »

I think this is a very good bad movie.  And, you know, it doesn't want to be anything other than that.

I was afraid Leonidas would be a huge a***ole, like most heroes in these things are, but he and the other Spartans were an affable bunch of Joes.  Faramir's voiceover was actually pretty good and he's becoming one of my favorite Those Guys (Hey!  It's Faramir!  Woo!).  It was also nice to see Steven McHattie in a high-profile role.  Man, that guy's in good shape for his age.  The weird stuff, like Xerxes being nine feet tall, was a little off-putting but it worked within the context of the movie -- which, after all, was a *story* being told by one of the characters.  Naturally, he was going to embellish.  ("Xerxes stood before Leonidas, and was NINE FEET TALL!!!!")

I had a good time with this one.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
KYGOTC
Corprate slimeball of E.E.S.

Be EXELLENT to each other...and PARTY ON DUDES!!

« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2007, 06:03:34 PM »

I think this is a very good bad movie. 

I dont think this one is a bad movie at all. Its an extremely good movie, dispite what critics are saying. Everyone I know that has seen it has nothing but good things to say about it.

"I'm a man too, you know! I go pee-pee standing up!"
Neville

« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2007, 06:06:51 PM »

I don't know if Akiratubo calls it a bad movie because of the same reasons as I did. I called it a "good bad movie" or something in the same league afew days ago because although it is a very good movie it also is -on purpose, no doubt- a very simplistic and over the top one. It's a way of saying "Yep, it's good, but it can't touch 2001."

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
felgekarp
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2007, 03:39:54 AM »

Saw this myself over the weekend, one of the better films I've seen period and a definite for the DVD list, has anybody seen The 300 Spartans?  I realise it's not going to be the same as 300 but is it worth watching?
Jimmy H
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2007, 05:26:23 PM »

The helots were, more or less, slaves.

The Helots were akin to serfs in feudal times. They were not bought and sold, but were tied to the land.

One of the rites of passage for Spartan warriors was to murder a Helot. It's interesting that the point of the exercise was not the murder itself, but rather to avoid getting caught committing it.

And serfs weren't much different than slaves.  It's part of the reason slavery didn't really take off too well in Europe.  They didn't have much need of it, because of the peasant class.  Either way, it does make it sound silly when they're talking about how great freedom is, and how Sparta is somehow founded on that idea.
maxtype
New Visitor

« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2007, 05:47:19 PM »

I really enjoyed this movie-epic,fast-paced,and fun...........for me,it has a strong connection to movies that don't really get made anymore=men's adventure epics,Hercules,Sinbad,etc.

I also thought the sex-scene between Leonidas and the Queen was one of the sexiest EVER-the actors really have chemistry-they look like a married couple that knows they are making love for the last time........... hot

Gotengo to full power.Set course for G-Zone.This is Operation:Final War!
flackbait

The fate of the last door to door salesmen

« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2007, 05:15:39 PM »

This movie was probably one of the best I have seen in long time. I really really really recommend you see it in theateres, because unless you have a home theatre system you will really miss out.
venomx
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2007, 11:55:31 PM »

I dont know Greek history that good I hear this story is true ... But Let me say this I love THIS MOVIE !!!
If thats how it happened wow ... There bad ass , very brave! If anyone here did not see 300 go see it now!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 11:57:41 PM by venomx » Logged
flackbait

The fate of the last door to door salesmen

« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2007, 02:33:29 PM »

Just to clarify this was based on Frank Miller's comic book of the same name. But there was a battle of Thermoplye (not sure if this is spelled right). This is the battle in which Miller based the comic book off of.
And yes there were 300 spartans who were lead by king Leonidas and they made a last stand.
CoreyHeldpen
Bad Movie Lover

I think these komodos need to leave this cruise.

« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2007, 11:08:20 AM »

Oh yeah, what was up with the goat-headed fellow in Xerxes' Love Shack?  It was pretty funny.
That dude kind of creeped me out. But seriously, what was up with some of those mutants, ie the goat-head guy and the blob with the crab hands? They just show up for a second and disappear. Great movie by the way.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 11:16:06 AM by CoreyHeldpen » Logged

"The only three things I hate are demons, malfunctioning robots, and monster movies that don't show you the monster."
Neville

« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2007, 03:28:38 PM »

Personally, I think the "mutants" and the beasts like the Rhino / Elephants are there to make us realise it's not an historical movie, but a sword and sorcery stravaganza. It's like having the filmmaker nudging you and saying "don't take it as it is written in stone".

Kooshmeister
The King of Koosh!
Bad Movie Lover

Must have caffeine...

« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2007, 06:32:17 AM »

Just to clarify this was based on Frank Miller's comic book of the same name. But there was a battle of Thermoplye (not sure if this is spelled right). This is the battle in which Miller based the comic book off of.
And yes there were 300 spartans who were lead by king Leonidas and they made a last stand.

Well, actually, Miller based his comic book off the movie The 300 Spartans. At least, that was the film that originally inspired him, or so he claims. So the movie is based on a comic book that was based on another movie that was based on the actual battle.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Frank Miller's 300 (2007) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.