Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:35:45 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Disney gun censorship? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Disney gun censorship?  (Read 14544 times)
Kooshmeister
The King of Koosh!
Bad Movie Lover

Must have caffeine...

« on: March 13, 2007, 08:33:53 PM »

I recently bought the Darkwing Duck Volume 1 DVD set. Great little cartoon compared to most stuff today, despite my ragging on it in my review of the pilot (which I ought to post on here sometime).

But I noticed something a little odd about one of the menus on one of the discs. Disc 3 to be precise, which features Taurus Bulba and his henchman Hammerhead (despite the fact the episodes they appear in are actually on Disc 1). The menus use pictures of the characters taken directly from frames of film in the episodes, so, let's look at the frame in question:

They're looking for Darkwing, who has disappeared, and Hammerhead has his revolver out.

But then we go over to the menu on Disc 3...

Same frame, same pose and everything, and Hammerhead's revolver is nowhere to be found!

Anyone else think this is really weird? I'm aware of this sort of thing happening, but when I noticed it, I just got so flabbergasted I had to share it.
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 09:35:31 PM »

Hard to tell why they did that.  It could easily (and most likely) be the firearm issue.

As I understand it, the new version of "E.T." has the police all holding cell phones and such instead of guns.  I refuse to see that thing.  Actually, it seems that I refuse to watch "E.T." at all. 

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Dennis
Yes, it's true, absolutely true. I am a

I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 12:42:22 AM »

Guns are one of those topics that always seem to provoke the liberal extremists into foaming at the mouth fits of rage, at least here in La La Land. It is popular to believe that if your kids play with toy guns or indulge in any sort of rough or competitive play they are either going to be scarred for life or become serial killers. This is just B.S. I believe that most, if not all of the boys (and some of the girls too) of my generation, and the ones preceding it, and the ones that followed it have played army, cowboys and Indians, cops and robbers, whatever you want to call it, it involved role playing and toy guns. Some of us actually own real firearms as adults, I do, and I have not felt the need to kill anyone, or commit some sort of violent crime. I do feel a bit more secure in my home knowing that I have tools that I can use to protect my home and family if the need ever arises. I am not a "gun nut", but I believe that if our government ever tries to take away the right to keep and bear arms then this country will be in trouble. It would not surprise me to find out that the Disney Company edited out the revolver, must be politically correct, and although I may have missed it, I don't see them re-releasing Davy Crockett, as I recall didn't he use a rifle in this Disney film, and doesn't the film show him actually shooting people. I doubt that they'll be letting this one out any time soon.
Sorry I took so long but this kind of thing really gets me going. hot

Reach for the heavens in hope for the future for all that we can be, not what we are. Henry John Deutschendorf Jr.
Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 01:19:04 AM »

Hard to tell why they did that.  It could easily (and most likely) be the firearm issue.

As I understand it, the new version of "E.T." has the police all holding cell phones and such instead of guns.  I refuse to see that thing.  Actually, it seems that I refuse to watch "E.T." at all. 

Holy crap!   Did Andrew just say there's something he won't watch?

Andrew, who has watched "Pigs," who has watched "Heartbeeps," won't watch ET?

*double takes*

Katie, is it true?  He won't watch ET?
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 01:49:44 AM »

It is popular to believe that if your kids play with toy guns or indulge in any sort of rough or competitive play they are either going to be scarred for life or become serial killers. This is just B.S. I believe that most, if not all of the boys (and some of the girls too) of my generation, and the ones preceding it, and the ones that followed it have played army, cowboys and Indians, cops and robbers, whatever you want to call it, it involved role playing and toy guns.

When I was 10-12 years of age, I had a pretty decent sized collection of toy pistols, rifles & machine guns.  I'd say that I had at least 20.
My favorite one was a very realistic looking plastic AK-47 that made the rat-a-tat noise when you pulled the trigger. 
(until I tripped over a rock while running with it and snapped the barrell off   Bluesad)
And this was before federal regulations required the tips of the guns to be orange or red.

I had all those toy guns and just look at how I turned out!   TeddyR
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 01:54:05 AM by Ash » Logged
quabrot
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 02:24:21 AM »

Wow... I'm behind.... I didn't know Darkwing Duck was on DVD yet!
Poogie
Bad Movie Lover

uuummmmmm.....BOO!

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 11:53:49 AM »

When I was younger there were guns in our house. My father was a policeman and he had to have guns. We were taught that the gun, when shot could kill someone or yourself. It's not like what you see on TV, where someone gets shot and jumps up and runs away like they got hit by a rock, or as seen on cartoons where someone got shot and 2 seconds later you see them with 2 band-aides in the shape of a X on their wound. If we were interested in seeing or holding the gun he would be sitting right next to us, we were never allowed to touch it unless he handed it to us. The guns were never loaded, I should say the ones we saw were never loaded. He kept one under his side of the bed at night that was loaded only when he went to bed. When we were young everyone watched TV together as a family and we were taught that certain things on TV are not real. If parents would talk and explain things to there kids honestly we wouldn't have some of the problems we have today. A lot of parents turn on the TV, as a babysitter, and leave the kids to make up their own minds about things and this doesn't work with all kids.
OOPS! I think this turned into a rant...sorry about that. I'll probably have to pay the consequences.....  TeddyR

Boogie...Boogie...Boogie...Boogie...  
Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 09:56:53 PM »

I usually want to read into anti-gun revisionism, but on that menu removing the gun seems mostly harmless, it's a cut and paste of characters from the show. Plus if the gun were used in that menu it would appear to be pointing at Darkwing Duck who looks startled already. Older kids and viewers can suss this out as harmless, but maybe the worry warts at the House o' Mouse thought it would spook the little ones.   

My dad hunted most of his life, he was the one who taught his siblings and later the rest of us to shoot and how to handle firarms. I have a memory of him taking me shooting at the age of 5. Basically him doing the work, guess he was building up the muscle memory and getting me used to firing .22s and .410 and 20 gauge shotguns.

Before we ever got near the guns at target practice or at turkey shoots we got the Speech. How dangerous guns are, how you treat every gun like it's loaded so you don't act stupid when they are and because sooner or later you will be wrong and one will be loaded when you are sure it isn't. How you never point a gun at anything you aren't will to kill or destroy because it can't come back ever, this is real life not the movies or cartoons. We did not shoot at water. We didn't shoot at anything we didn't know what was behind it, because bullets travel far and fast. The guns in the house were his guns and we were not to go near them unless he allowed us near them, and we only got to use them at his discretion. We didn't do anything stupid with his guns or anyone else's, because he would find out about it. Even if nothing bad happened we would never get near a gun again unless he let us and we couldn't count on that time ever turning up.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
raj

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2007, 02:42:01 PM »

My sister & her husband are some of those anti-gun nuts (otherwise nice people).  They've never let my nephew have any toy guns.  So of course he pretends other toys are guns.  Mwahahahahaha.
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2007, 03:54:19 PM »

I grew up with firearms, including my own pellet rifles and .22 rifle.  Also, my father's rifle was always behind the front door and my grandfather's shotgun was likewise easily where I could get it.  Dad gave me much the same rundown on firearms as Yaddo's.  Never, in all my time as a youth, did I ever think about using a firearm against another person.  It was only after I was older, and began to encounter events which might involve someone else threatening serious bodily harm against someone, did I consider using a shotgun against someone.

As has been said, a firearm is a tool.  Always treat it as loaded.  Never aim at something you do not intend to shoot.  Keep the weapon on safe until you intend to fire.  Keep your finger off the trigger until you intend to fire.  Know your right and left lateral limits and pay attention to what is behind your target.  Never fire at something that could cause a ricochet.  The best targets are backed with a bullet trap or dirt backstop.

Really, the big thing with firearms is common sense.  When you think about everything typed above (and other factors in safely using a firearm) they jump out at you as common sense.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Raffine

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2007, 05:24:47 PM »

Well, P.C.  Disney did edit out Pecos Bill's cigarette in the rerelease of Melody Time, so them rubbing out a pistol is perfectly believable.

Smoke 'em if you got 'em.

...or not.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 05:26:38 PM by Raffine » Logged

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Viktorcrayon
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2007, 05:26:19 PM »

I think it might be an aesthetic choice, rather than cencorship, but thats just me.

Also, i must admit (and this will not be popular on this board, i fear) that i can't understand american gun policy.

Everyone has one to feel safer, but the policy also makes it easier for people who shouldnt have it to get acces to it. I guess i would have one as well, if i lived in a country where they are so readily available!
Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2007, 06:00:28 PM »

Yeah, Raffine, the removal of cigarettes, and not just by Disney, is stupid also. Because as we know no one smoked in the Old West. I remember a minor hoopla when a box set of Simon & Garfunkel was released and a photo of Paul Simon was digitally altered to remove a cigarette. He was gesturing with it in his hand, so with the smoke gone, his finger position looked odd. It actually drew attention to what was missing.

I hate smoking, but if it was in a film, TV show, or picture leave it in. It's like seeing old talk show clips, say Johnny Carson on The Tonight Show or Mike Wallace on his old interview shows, they were smoking all the time.

Viktorcrayon, not everyone owns firearms, and not everyone one owns them for protection. The Second Amendment in the Bill of Rights of our Constitution addresses gun ownership by private citizens. Even its meaning and the reasons that Amendment is included are debated today. Besides federal regulations, guns laws vary widely by state, and even by city.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2007, 06:05:50 PM »

The dichotomy is that there are many many responsible, smart and safe gun owners (like our friends on here).   These folks take the classes, teach the children, wear safety gear, and register guns as needed.   They are the ones who are hurt by draconian laws.  There are also many many dumbasses and criminal types who would not obey the laws anyway. .   I'm an anti-gun gun owner, if that makes sense.  I own guns, love to shoot, and was a compeitive shooter for a while.  But I know there are folks who should not even be allowed pointy objects, let alone guns.    We need to figure out how to weed out the responsible from the irresponsible.
I'm not saying we shouldn't have laws, but we need a diferent approach to crimes (and what oughtta be crimes) commited with guns.  I once read that we should prosecute any crime involving a gun to a higher degree, maybe thats the fix.  BBut what do I know?
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Viktorcrayon
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2007, 06:31:12 PM »

Viktorcrayon, not everyone owns firearms, and not everyone one owns them for protection. The Second Amendment in the Bill of Rights of our Constitution addresses gun ownership by private citizens. Even its meaning and the reasons that Amendment is included are debated today. Besides federal regulations, guns laws vary widely by state, and even by city.

I'm aware of this  Smile

Still, i just can't help but think that it's unhealthy to have such liberal gun laws. But hey, i'm from a different culture. I don't really have any right to comment it, as i simply don't know enough about the subject.

Also, this is a chance for me to say, that i LOVE the ignatz avatar. That comic was simply 50 years ahead of its time.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Disney gun censorship? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.