Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:45:17 PM
713356 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Strange Encounter/Strange Show -- « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Strange Encounter/Strange Show --  (Read 7273 times)
peter johnson
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: March 14, 2007, 02:36:16 PM »

If a moderator wishes to move this to another board, please feel free -- It doesn't seem to neatly "fit" anywhere so I'm putting it on the main board:
This past Sunday I did a very -- for me -- scary thing and performed a Theremin score of my own devising for a screening of Georges Melies' silent film epic "The Conquest of The Pole"(1912) hot Cheers.  Ultra-modern facility.  They screened it once for me to practice with, and everything went wrong.  I figured out I was standing too close to the machine.  When the actual screening took place, I stepped further back & it went even better than I expected!!  People applauded and cheered & laughed in the right places (I'd figured out how to make this goofy/wanky slide-flute "spin" sound for when the explorers get sucked up by the magnetic pole) & was an unqualified success.
On the way out afterwards, I was stopped by a man who introduced himself as the son of Louis Barron, the creator of the electronic music score for Forbidden Planet(1953)!!  He had never seen a Theremin played before, much to my utter shock.  Turns out, Theremins were considered too primitive and out-of-date, even by 1953 standards, so Barron never had one in the house!!  Talk about your odd encounters -- Anyway, he was fascinated with the instrument & we had a fine old time -- Got paid, too, which is always a worthy showbiz goal!! Cheers
peter WEEEEoooooWAAAAoooo/denny What's That Racket?

I have no idea what this means.
Poogie
Bad Movie Lover

uuummmmmm.....BOO!

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 02:58:00 PM »

I found this on YouTube....The Legend of Zelda
Small | Large

There's more there too......this sounds really cool.   Smile
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 03:00:07 PM by Poogie » Logged

Boogie...Boogie...Boogie...Boogie...  
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 04:47:18 PM »

Ah, see, you have the time to discuss theremins with random sons of musical composers, but cannot even take time to have a beer with somebody you battered with a viewing of "RoboC.H.I.C."  I already had given you my promise that I would not harm you in any way...

Neat story and strange how they would consider certain instruments "too old fashioned" for a soundtrack.  I think that, properly used, you could probably use just about any instrument in a soundtrack.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
peter johnson

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 05:18:58 PM »

Oh, Andrew, I am truly, dreadfully sorry I wasn't able to meet you in Denver that time -- You, and anyone else on this board, would absolutely FREAK over The Denver Museum of Nature and Science -- and there are the most amazing brewpubs, serving some real "Set Yo' Ass Down!" suds within walking distance --
As I've often said, I live in Longmont, Colorado, and would be very happy to meet anyone & everyone from this board were they to pass through the area.
I forget what messed up with my meeting Andrew, but it had to have been important, as I would most assuradly wish to buy gallons of our local Microbeer as an offering to our Fearless Leader!
 Cheers
Beer . . . Is there anything it can't do? . . .
PS:  Six more performances of The Solid Gold Cadillac/ends March 23.
peter crane/denny johnson

Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 05:40:38 PM »

It was mostly the fact that I contacted you out of nowhere and at the last minute, because I was in Denver after being stranded there (connecting flight) during a winter storm.  I did go to the Museum of Natural History for the day I was there and it was great.  Beautiful view of the mountains and all from the one room with the big staircase too.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
dean

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 06:16:24 AM »

Congratulations on the paycheck and the chance meeting! I have the Forbidden Planet Soundtrack lying around here somewhere, and it's a creepy classic.

Nice to know that everything panned out well!  A Theremin score to any movie, be it an old Melies film, or a more modern one, is always worth a look in!

Cheers

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
peter johnson

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007, 04:19:42 PM »

And thankyou Poogie, for the Theremin clip --
I'm not that good yet, but I do understand what the player here is doing -- Note the very quick left handed wrist-snaps -- these are essential to proper playing & deceptively difficult to execute properly.  Theremin is a very very technique-driven instrument.
I can certainly do some of this, but practice, practice, practice . . .
peter johnson/denny crane

Poogie
Bad Movie Lover

uuummmmmm.....BOO!

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2007, 06:49:56 PM »

And thankyou Poogie, for the Theremin clip --
I'm not that good yet, but I do understand what the player here is doing -- Note the very quick left handed wrist-snaps -- these are essential to proper playing & deceptively difficult to execute properly.  Theremin is a very very technique-driven instrument.
I can certainly do some of this, but practice, practice, practice . . .
You are very welcome.....it certainly looks fun. So when do we get to see you playing?  TeddyR   Wink

peter johnson

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2007, 10:45:54 PM »

Well, the techno-geeks/scientist types (AND THEY ARE OF COURSE ALL MADI tell you --
well, they took the digital film of me & I talked to them today & there may be some time before I get my own copy -- after that, it's a bit of a crapshoot, as I'm a technoidiot, as Andrew will tell you --
I don't know how to upload videos, etc. & will need someone to help me, but once I get the actual "tape", I'll be sure to try & get it "up" SOME-where!

Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2007, 10:52:28 PM »

I've seen Peter Johnson post about the Theremin and couldn't imagine what it was. That video certainly made it clear that it could be used to make movies.

Poogie
Bad Movie Lover

uuummmmmm.....BOO!

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2007, 10:34:30 AM »

I've seen Peter Johnson post about the Theremin and couldn't imagine what it was. That video certainly made it clear that it could be used to make movies.

I have never heard of it either,  Question but then I haven't heard of a lot of things, ha. I looked it up and the first one I saw was way different than the one above. I thought there might be some others who had never heard of it sooooooo I found the video above. When I heard that sound in movies  I thought it was the "Saw". I wouldn't mind learning how to play it.  Smile

Poogie
Bad Movie Lover

uuummmmmm.....BOO!

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2007, 10:43:25 AM »

Well, the techno-geeks/scientist types (AND THEY ARE OF COURSE ALL MADI tell you --
well, they took the digital film of me & I talked to them today & there may be some time before I get my own copy -- after that, it's a bit of a crapshoot, as I'm a technoidiot, as Andrew will tell you --
I don't know how to upload videos, etc. & will need someone to help me, but once I get the actual "tape", I'll be sure to try & get it "up" SOME-where!
You couldn't be any more ignorant than me. We have only had a computer for about 10 months now. I'm learning by asking stupid questions on this forum, ha. Thank God there are very helpful people here. We didn't have computers in school. Now days (I'm old) kindergartners have them. Anyway I can't wait to see your video.......don't worry, I'm very patient.  Smile

peter johnson

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2007, 12:50:14 AM »

Funny, you look quite young and buxom in your picture . . .
Yes, there are in fact quite a number of different Theremin models, though the one in the video you accessed is the same one I "play", a Moog Etherwave Theremin.
The gal I admire the most as a Theremin player, Victoria Lundy of The Inactivists, plays a supercharged model that looks like a piece of Danish furniture/sculpture.  Definitely out of my league.
Tuning is a . . .(obscene swear word). . . but once you have it tuned, and you're standing in the proper place, the thing will DO YOUR BIDDING!!  Bwah-ha-ha-ha-ha!! 
Seriously, they are very addictive to fool around with -- I think everyone should have one, which was Lev Segeyavitch Theremin's dream/goal.  Look him up!
love
peter theremin/denny MMMMOOOOOOOGGOGGOGOGOGOOGO

Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2007, 12:38:22 PM »

I did a paper on Lev Theremin once.  He actually invented the precursor to the modern RFID chip, which I found to be quite interesting.

Peter, I gotta know, did you buy a pre-assembled theremin or do you build one from a kit?  I'm tempted to build one myself just for the fun of it.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Dennis
Yes, it's true, absolutely true. I am a

I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2007, 04:48:14 PM »

The wife and I have decided we would like to try our hands at the Theremin, it looks like fun and we might be able to get a duet going, piano and theremin, can you buy one at a music store, and what would you recommend for beginners?

Reach for the heavens in hope for the future for all that we can be, not what we are. Henry John Deutschendorf Jr.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Strange Encounter/Strange Show -- « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.