Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:44:24 AM
712924 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Movie Reviews  |  ALIEN FROM L.A. (1988) - Thoughts and Questions? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: ALIEN FROM L.A. (1988) - Thoughts and Questions?  (Read 4994 times)
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« on: March 10, 2007, 02:09:18 PM »

Originally posted this at the Scifilm Forum but decided to post it again here in hopes some of you can answer the question below as to where they might have borrowed some of their lines from?! It was suggested at Scifilm that some of them sound similar to ones used in ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK and the John Wayne Western BIG JAKE. I could swear I heard similar lines in SPACEHUNTER too but perhaps some of you know for certain?

ALIEN FROM L.A. (1988)

Stars Kathy Ireland, William R. Moses, Thom Mathews, Janet Du Plesis, Richard Haines and Simon Poland. Directed by Albert Pyun.

Source: MGM DVD. This DVD unfortunately is a pan and scan version. The only extra included is the theatrical trailer. The picture sometimes is downright grainy too. While this film may not be terribly good, it deserved better treatment on DVD than this. The pan and scan DVD version has also been released on a Double Feature MGM release along with MORONS FROM OUTER SPACE.

Plot: A California valley girl named Wanda Saknussemm (Kathy Ireland), desperately searching for a means to make a new start and escape her nerdish tendencies, goes to Africa in search of her absentee archaeologist father following reports he may have fallen into a bottomless pit only for her to stumble and fall down the same hole. She winds up in a bizarre and strange underground city named Atlantis which just might be at the center of the Earth. There she befriends a miner she calls "Gus" and continues searching for her long lost papa. However those dwelling in the underground city have heard rumors of there being aliens from the surface world hidden amongst them and despite the government's constant denial that aliens exist on television, they still offer rewards for the capture of anyone who might be thought an "alien" making Wanda a target for many unscrupulous types.

Comments: This is a relatively harmless fantasy time-waster. In fact, the non-discriminating fantasy viewer may actually enjoy this one. This is kind of like a California Valley Girl version of ALICE IN WONDERLAND with a bit of THE WIZARD OF OZ thrown in filtered through a BLADE RUNNER-esque setting with the train of events playing out rather like SPACEHUNTER but this movie isn't anywhere near as good as any of those.  I have to admit I actually had fun watching this though since it's so outrageous and outlandish in its approach. The sets too prove surprisingly effective for a low budget movie. I also get a kick out of the state controlled television annoucements which prove incredibly transparent in their intent. While this is definitely not for everyone (it stars Kathy Ireland who's really no actress, borrows most of its plot from other movies, things always feel a little too safe and sure for the leads), there are those who might find enjoyment here although it's a little tough to explain why. I'm actually one of them believe it or not.

I also have reviewed this film over at Scifilm (I'm much harder on the film there I think). My review can be found here: http://www.scifilm.org/reviews2/alienfromla.html

There are moments here that do feel borrowed outright from other movies. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me where I might have heard these lines before:

"I Thought You Was Dead"..."Well, I'm Back"

"You Never Did Anything for Anyone...I Know You (insert name), you're too selfish to play the hero"

"I Never Finished Anything I Started In My Whole Life"

"Another place...another time" (with the hint of a possible romance in such an occurence).

I could swear I've heard dialogue like that in some other films. Anyone have any idea?

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Fausto
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 09:28:35 PM »

"I Thought You Were Dead"..."Yeah, I get that a lot." -Ellen Ripley, Alien Ressurection

Other than that, I dunno.......you're right, they do sound familiar. I would guess that they just sound simular to overly cliched types of lines used in these kinds of shlock films (ressurection came out long after 1988, so the above is most likely a coincidence). The "I never finished what I started in my whole life" I know I've heard before, though not necessarily in a low budget or sci-fi film. Question

"When I die, I hope you will use my body creatively." - Shin Chan

"Tonight, we will honor the greatest writers in America with a modest 9 by 12 certificate and a check for three thousand dollars...three thousand dollars? Stephen King makes more than that for writing boo on a cocktail napkin." - Jimmy Breslin
akiratubo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 03:21:08 AM »

Wow.  I always thought this movie was about an alien coming to L.A. and having non-stop sex with Kathy Ireland while Michael Dorn hunted them down.

Waaaaaaait ...

Isn't that actually "Amanda and the Alien", not starring Kathy Ireland?

Alien from L.A. sounds sort of interesting.  I may have to give it a chance.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Movie Reviews  |  ALIEN FROM L.A. (1988) - Thoughts and Questions? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.