Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:40:46 AM
713325 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Donnie Darko: What'd everyone think? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Donnie Darko: What'd everyone think?  (Read 16720 times)
ghouck
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« on: March 14, 2007, 11:47:37 PM »

Me, I really like this movie. I can't believe it's been out since 2001 and isn't more popular. It's on the "50 films to see before you die" list at #9, and rightly so. Very interesting, never thought the subjects of time-travel, causality, and mental illness could be brought together so well (much different story than 12 monkeys though IMO).

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 11:50:26 PM »

I saw it and really didn't think much of it. I mean I liked it but not as much as most people.

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

Pilgermann

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 12:15:35 AM »

Donnie Darko is certainly a victim of being over-hyped.  Luckily I saw it before it seemed like everyone on the planet had done so, so I didn't really go into it with any expectations.  I think it's a good movie, and of course it's easy to pick at it since it deals with time travel, but I still really like it.  I wasn't as big a fan of the director's cut, but it's not bad.

Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 08:27:54 PM »

Weird film if your not sure what to expect.  Thumbup

ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 10:22:21 AM »

Donnie Darko is certainly a victim of being over-hyped.

I never heard any of its hype, the first time I heard of it was while reading the "50 movies" list. Apparently I'm even more out-of-touch than I previously thought, , , ,

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

onionhead
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 12:34:30 PM »

Personally, I hadn't heard of Donnie Darko until this forum.  I rather enjoyed the convoluted story until I read an interview with writer/director Richard Kelly in which he praised his own cleverness.  Sorry, his but self-promotion kind of spoiled the film for me.

Some people like cupcakes better--I for one care less for them
Torgo

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 10:45:23 PM »

I loved the theatrical cut.

I didn't like the director's cut nearly as much. It's as if the director missed the point of his own movie.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2007, 10:18:53 AM »

I agree 100 % with Torgo's comment.  Richard Kelly just didn't seem to get his own film.  Sad...

I picked up the film just before it became an indie "must-see" and everyone and their brother was talking about it.  I bought it for about 5 bucks from Best Buy, and I absolutely loved it my first time around.  I still rather enjoy the film, but it isn't remotely as good after a few viewings.  It loses much of it's punch and seems to be more confusing than groundbreaking.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2007, 02:20:43 PM »

I didn't like the director's cut nearly as much. It's as if the director missed the point of his own movie.

I rather enjoyed the convoluted story until I read an interview with writer/director Richard Kelly in which he praised his own cleverness.  Sorry, his but self-promotion kind of spoiled the film for me.

I'll just be avoiding the director's cut then. This kinda reminds me of Star Wars, how we were led to believe "The Force" was some magical power obtainable to anyone, ,, only to have is based on some scientific principals in the prequil. . . . Some people just can't leave well enough alone. .

CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2007, 02:42:43 PM »

I watched it, I found it enjoyable as far as films go. However, I didn't think it was worthy of the cult status it's fan base was giving it. I've seen better films and I've seen worse. I just failed to see where this film deserved as much praise as it got, I mean it didn't need to be dogged, but it didn't need all of the cult level-fan based hype it got either. Just my opinion.

JPickettIII
A BAD MOVIE IS A TERRIBLE THING TO WASTE!
Bad Movie Lover

HELP! WE ARE STUCK IN A GOOD MOVIE!!!

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2007, 10:55:01 PM »

I saw it a bit ago.  Weird, just plain weird.  The ending was funny.

John

\\\\\\\"Freedom is not free\"\\\\\\ or ///\"Where ever you go, there you are!\"///
Bill C.
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2007, 08:58:23 AM »

Geez...I've had the DVD of the theatrical cut sitting on the floor of my spare bedroom for over two years, unwatched by my eyes...
rebel_1812
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2007, 01:46:06 PM »

Donnie Darko is certainly a victim of being over-hyped.

I never heard any of its hype, the first time I heard of it was while reading the "50 movies" list. Apparently I'm even more out-of-touch than I previously thought, , , ,

it is very hyped in word of mouth.  When my friends told me about it, they made it sound like the best movie ever made.  Of course any movie will fall short of those expectations.

ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2007, 01:54:01 PM »

When my friends told me about it, they made it sound like the best movie ever made.  Of course any movie will fall short of those expectations.

Except, well, the best movie ever made.    Wink

FWIW, I liked the director's cut but never saw the theatrical cut.  From the commentary, based on what was missing  in the theatrical cut, I figured I would not enjoy it as much.

It's funny, though.  Other than the punchline and general tone of the movie, I don't really remember a whole lot about it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
rebel_1812
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2007, 11:03:18 PM »

When my friends told me about it, they made it sound like the best movie ever made.  Of course any movie will fall short of those expectations.

Except, well, the best movie ever made.    Wink

yeah Snakes on a Plane

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Donnie Darko: What'd everyone think? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.