Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:43:20 PM
713364 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Early 90s Music « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Early 90s Music  (Read 22806 times)
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2007, 08:34:46 AM »

I STILL like alot of those bands from my Thrash/Punk  days...Bad Brains was also a big favorite of mine...BANNED in DC(or the ROIR yellow cassete,as it's called by me).
 Other favorites....
 from the early ninties...
 KYUSS (Green Machine was a KICK ASS song! Still is!)
 I MOTHER EARTH
 MONSTER MAGNET
 JANES ADDICTION (and not just Caught Stealing...)
 RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS (not in their post Under the bridge suckiness...)
 the MELVINS!!!!!!!!!!!
 the BUTTHOLE SURFERS
 MINISTRY

...and yes, I was a Headbangers ball freak too...(couldn't STAND the hair bands...still love REAL punk! A little too old for the pit thing nowadays...sigh... Bluesad

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Tempest
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2007, 03:22:42 PM »

One of my favorite bands were really hitting their stride by the early-90':

White Zombie

Probably the most non-dated music of 1992. Its just as unique now as it was back then.

Metallica were still tearing s**t up back in the day, too. Too bad they hit that slump in '96 with "Load" and "Re-Load".
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2007, 08:09:01 AM »

White Zombie were EXCELLENT! I saw them at Wings Stadium,with openers the Reverand Horton Heat and the mighty Melvins back in the early days of thrash 90's...when metal really mattered.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
akiratubo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2007, 05:45:09 PM »

I thought the 90s were pretty lousy for entertainment in general: TV, movies, music, even books to a smaller extent.

When Nirvana came along and the music industry started pumping out clones like no tomorrow, (and the "boy bands" later on, shudder) I just gave up on music until ... hmm.  It's only in the last couple of years I've bothered listening to any newer acts.

(Nope, I didn't like Nirvana.  They had one song that I thought was decent, I think.  Korn was even worse, maybe my #1 Worst Big-Time Band of All Time.  Seems like all I heard during the 90s were bands trying desperately to be Nirvana or Korn.  Maybe it was just me.)

There were a few shining spots.  I remember I did like what I heard of White Zombie but I haven't heard them in years, at least nothing I could identify as being theirs.  And the Spice Girls were a diamond in the rough.  Yep, I liked the Spice Girls.  I had all of their albums, until my ex-fiancee decided to keep them when we broke up.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2007, 01:00:26 PM »

The 90s where rough when it came to alot of different genres of music. Punk became big and every band was playing pop-punk which was rough times. rap-metal was a big thing and bastardized Hardcore like Limp Biscut.

Personal I loved Nirvana and have a patch on my vest to provie it. Thier first album Bleach is great stuff and their other are solid if anything.

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2007, 05:12:48 PM »

I enjoyed (and still do) Anthrax alot,(after they dumped Joey Belladonna). GWAR were fun! I think the late 80's/early ninties music scene was fairly important...or at least useful,for elbowing out tired hair bands,though the overflow of Metallica (who I never really liked after Master of Puppets) wanna be's and Punk posers kinda smothered the actual GOOD music (Kyuss,Tool,I Mother Earth),IMHO.

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
akiratubo

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2007, 05:54:59 AM »

or at least useful,for elbowing out tired hair bands

NEVER!  Hair Metal was the greatest musical movement of all time!  I never quite got over its passing.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2007, 06:15:30 AM »

or at least useful,for elbowing out tired hair bands

NEVER!  Hair Metal was the greatest musical movement of all time!  I never quite got over its passing.

WHA...?!?! AHHH!!! Sorry...you scared me!!! That's a terrifying statement!!! (Kidding...I kid...) TongueOut

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
fortunato
Bad Movie Lover

The laziest man on mars.

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2007, 01:00:39 AM »

10 of my favorite 90s songs are:

Wonderwall by Oasis
Nutshell by Alice in Chains
Over Now by Alice in Chains
46 and 2 by Tool
Generator by Foo Fighters
Everlong by Foo Fighters
Simple Kind of Life by No Doubt
Nothing Else Matters by Metallica
Freak on a Leash by Korn
Name by Goo Goo Dolls

Goblins still exist. Your Grandpa Seth is telling you!

Are you nuts? You tryin' ta turn me into a homo?

You're TEARING ME APART, Lisa!

"May I remind you that I am in command here! Only an idiot would attempt such a thing. I will do it myself."
Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2007, 05:30:40 AM »

Naked by the Goo Goo Dolls was pretty decent. I give them credit for lasting as long as they have, even if they just ride the waves of genres and are harmless in all of them. One of the few radio-friendly groups I can listen to on a regular basis without wanting to beat up the DJ.

I was a fan of critic's darling Chris Whitley, who was on the way up in the early 90s, poor guy died a couple of yeras ago. Deserved to be a bigger name than he was. I even got a few people into his music and made fans out of them. His first album is an underrated classic, check it out.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2007, 08:39:48 AM »

For me the early '90s was the beginning of the end for music.  I vaguely remember the bands you mentioned and thought they were listenable but not my thing.  Our local hard rock station started playing alternative stuff, and I'd always listen to it while driving to work.  After about a month or so I realized the stuff was making me depressed.    I just never embraced the rock stuff of the '90s, it wasn't for me.  My friends would talk about those bands and I wouldn't have a clue what they were going on about.

I remember all throughout the '80s I'd get my issue of Guitar For The Practicing Musician each month, anxiously dig into the songs they transcribed, it was the highlight of my month.  Then the '90s came and I dropped my subscription.  After 8 years.  They sent me a card asking me why and I said "No good music any more".

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
DodgingGrunge
Bad Movie Lover

Consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds.

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2007, 11:49:25 AM »

I haven't owned a radio since 1996.  I didn't like where "alternative" music was heading.  It was a great ride up until that point though.  You know, just the other day I calculated that I have about 8.4 hours of Butthole Surfers music!  Drink  I miss the playful experimentation and noise (and the fact record companies couldn't mass produce that style, at least right away).  Favorites in my collection include Meat Puppets, Jesus Lizard, Ministry, L7...  Ah, memories!  Even the rap music back then was great:  remember good Cypress Hill and Gravediggaz?  Haha.

I saw Suicidal Tendencies/the Melvins/White Zombie at Wings stadium...

I used to see the Melvins several times a year when I lived in Chicago, usually touring with whatever happened to be Mike Patton's current project (Mr. Bungle, Fantomas, Tomahawk, etc).  Then I moved to sunny-cheery northern California and good music all but vanished.  GWAR never set foot in that state.  It was sad, sad times.  But I saved quite a bit of money without decent shows to go to (and nobody to see them with).

++josh;
BTB
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2007, 03:39:52 AM »

The 90s were a cornucopia of bad music and none of you did listen to it?

I only read here about Metal and alternative music. What about the huge mass of Eurodance, the rise of the boy-bands or everything else. I dare you to out yourselves you fans of Ace of Base and Roxette, those who danced to 2 Unlimited and Haddaway. Did nobody own anything by the New Kids on the Block? And never ever forget MC Hammer and Vanilla Ice. Hammer was a god to me untill somebody pointed me to Rick James. Nonetheless sometimes i still feel like it is ...

HAMMERTIME!

To have no ideas and to express them
rebel_1812
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2007, 12:29:46 PM »

actually few metal bands have been mentioned.  I loved both the grunge and metal scence at the time.  Pantera was getting big then, Megadeth put out their best album with Rust in Peace.  Guns'n Roses was still touring.  As for Grunge music, I'm one of those who thinks bands like Pearl Jam and Alice in Chains aren't Nirvana Clones.

ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2007, 04:23:16 PM »

Early 90's I was living in Chapel Hill, NC (89-93) and was mostly into older metal like Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, etc as far as music I owned goes.  I listened to campus radio (WXYC) at work a lot (especially when I worked nights when no one else was around - when they were, it was mostly NPR) which played everything from 40's jazz/swing to folks banging on a pipe for five minutes and a lot what I would call alternative stuff.  The most requested song on XYC, almost to the point of being a cliche, was "Bela Lugosi's Dead."

I was really into the local band scene in Chapel Hill, though, and spent a fair amount of time at a club called Cat's Cradle and few others.  Local bands I saw some of you may have heard of include Nikki Meets the Hibachi, Orange Driver, Flat Duo Jets, What Peggy Wants (aka Teasing the Korean) and Southern Culture on the Skids.

Flat Duo Jets later appeared on David Letterman.  The night I saw them at the Cradle, it was Dexter Romweber's birthday, and they decided to play all night long, despite the local law that bars had to close at 2 am.  Man, what a great show, until an amp or something blew at about 5 am.

I saw the "Fairwell Final Show" for Nikki Meets the Hibachi.  The last song they played was a totally improv of "Brown Eyed Girl" by Van Morrison (one of my most favorite all time songs) with a bunch of friends on the stage with them (they were not a cover band, this was just a special goodbye song for them).  It was incredibly moving.  What a great band they were, too, and also nationally known at the time.

Saw SCOTS a BUNCH of times, at the Cradle and another place called La Terazza (sp??).  They put on a very fun show.

Orange Driver was a very hard, almost speed metal band and a number of the band members worked at the best pizza shop in town.

I also saw What Peggy Wants in that guise as well as the Teasing The Korean guise numerous times, also in 'special' extended shows.

Some other local bands of note:

Mike Edwards and the Banned: a classic rock cover band that were incredible.  I saw them many times, but two notable ones were the first time they played "Comfortably Numb" by Pink Floyd and it sounded like almost like a recording from start to finish and the time the bass player let me play his Rickenbacker bass some after the show and I got some girls interested with my INCREDIBLE (haha) bass riffs on that awesome sounding guitar.

Chris and the Cornflakes (aka Brainiac Fingers): Now this band was very interesting, and I saw them a number of times, also.  They were a group of guys that get together occasionally to play shows and they just go at it.  It's all improv, basically, they don't even rehearse together.  At the time, they were doing such shows, a few a year, all over the eastern US, but mostly near the NC beaches.  The bass player would start playing a bass line from a 'familiar' rock song, and everyone else would just fill right in.  I recall at one time they were playing at least three distinctly different songs simultaneously and it was GREAT - it fit seamlessly.

I knew bands like Nirvana and Alice in Chains.  i listened to a little Metallica, too, and Megadeth (saw them in Raleigh at an Oz-Fest).  But give me local music in a place like Chapel Hill any time.   Smile Smile 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Early 90s Music « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.