Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:37:06 PM
713364 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What is the borderline? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What is the borderline?  (Read 4078 times)
ezzetabi
« on: March 15, 2007, 12:15:38 PM »

What is the borderline between a very good bad movie and a bad good movie?
I am really curious to know, since some pretty famous movies are imo actually very bad ones (E.G The Signs) and some bad movies are actually more fun.

How do you define a 'Bad Movie'?
fortunato
Bad Movie Lover

The laziest man on mars.

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 12:53:43 PM »

There are a few qualifiers
1) Is there legitimate talent behind the camera (ex. Peter Jackson did all of the special effects for his early films and they are low-budget for sure, but it also shows how dedicated he was to his craft)

2) Is the movie entertaining in the manner that it is meant to be (ex. Pieces is a Texas Chainsaw Massacre clone, but it's so ineptly done that you can't help but laugh, so it fails in this category)

3) Does the low budget help or hinder the movie (Some movies, like The Gate, try for special effects that are above their capability; while others like Halloween rely on minimal effects and more on other things a director can control, like atmosphere)
and

4) Is the movie well-written enough to work toward the desired effect (Plan 9 from Outer Space's script is a good example of too much didacticism and bad dialogue to fill out the "story" that goes on when the stock footage runs out. Army of Darkness, on the other hand, is meant to be a B-movie tribute to Harryhausen and the dialogue, particularly Ash's, is an important part of his character, although it doesn't really follow his behavior in the previous films.)

Goblins still exist. Your Grandpa Seth is telling you!

Are you nuts? You tryin' ta turn me into a homo?

You're TEARING ME APART, Lisa!

"May I remind you that I am in command here! Only an idiot would attempt such a thing. I will do it myself."
peter johnson
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 12:58:55 AM »

Goal vs. Execution, is a standard Standard by which to judge --
Ed Wood, who is and should be the basic touchstone in all of this, should act as a bellwether --
Watch "Bride of The Monster" carefully.  Listen to the dialogue and see how the scenes were presented.  Did the director/writer care that his "helmet" for the machine looks no better than a vegetable collander?  No!  Not for one minute!!  Is the dialogue stentorian and super-serious?  Yes!!  Is there no intentional humour at all, and does this movie take itself very very seriously?  Yes!!!  It does!!!
See all the films of Ed Wood.  Watch them carefully.  See the disparity between vision and execution.  Then watch "Robot Monster".  Get the drift? 
peter helpful/denny crane

I have no idea what this means.
Caronte
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2007, 06:02:51 PM »

It depends too of the number of beers that you drink watching the movie... TeddyR

Drink

Dennis
Yes, it's true, absolutely true. I am a

I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 08:59:23 PM »

For me it's simple, do I like the movie, even if it's really awful, if it entertains me then it's a good movie, and yes, some movies, like Flesh Gordon and the Rapist Robots, are a lot funnier with a liberal application of beer. While others, like any of Mr. Wood's, are just so ridiculously stupid that they are fun to watch all by themselves. I think that the borderline would have to be very flexible because it would be different for each one of us, and that's what makes the world an interesting place. TeddyR
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 10:31:58 PM by DENNIS » Logged

Reach for the heavens in hope for the future for all that we can be, not what we are. Henry John Deutschendorf Jr.
Flangepart

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 02:28:34 PM »

Goal vs. Execution, is a standard Standard by which to judge --
Ed Wood, who is and should be the basic touchstone in all of this, should act as a bellwether --
Watch "Bride of The Monster" carefully.  Listen to the dialogue and see how the scenes were presented.  Did the director/writer care that his "helmet" for the machine looks no better than a vegetable collander?  No!  Not for one minute!!  Is the dialogue stentorian and super-serious?  Yes!!  Is there no intentional humour at all, and does this movie take itself very very seriously?  Yes!!!  It does!!!
See all the films of Ed Wood.  Watch them carefully.  See the disparity between vision and execution.  Then watch "Robot Monster".  Get the drift? 
peter helpful/denny crane
Important point.
Intention Vs. end resault. The funnier it is, dispite its intentions, the better "Good Bad". "Bad good"...maby TITANIC....excelent FX and supporting characters, bad leads. "Sleep with the fishes, Leo!

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
inframan
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 04:14:28 PM »

I can't really describe it. Usually its when they are trying something serious and it comes off bady and the result is just funny. That's why I hate Troma, it like they are just trying to be corny and offensive and it just doesnt work for me.

Then again a lot of classics made by Fred Olen Ray and Don Dohler are pretty goofy but still entertaining, they know its not going to be a great movie but they're still trying.
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2007, 07:13:10 PM »

I don't think you can make a good bad movie, as it's up to the viewer to decide the end quality. Many bad movies aren't labeled good until long after their era and are rediscovered by the next generation for what they are. Most good bad movies are labors of love, someones dream and that gives them a little something extra that not readily seen. A film they get there friends help them make and invest it all to get it done.

Bad movies are just that bad, big money behind them, big names and all the glits and glamor to go with it and it still sucks. It's hard to put your finger on it, but you know it when you see it.

peter johnson

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2007, 12:13:19 AM »

Low budget helps, though it ultimately is not a factor -- As Frank Zappa says in "Cheepniz", which should be the theme song of this website, as I've championed before, "It has nothing whatever to do with the budget of the film, ALTHOUGH IT HELPS!!"

peter johnson

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2007, 12:20:03 AM »

. . . and, of course, I hit the wrong button before I was done . . .
ANYWAY, take a thing like "Starcrash", which is simply odd from beginning to end:  These people had some money to spend.  Did they spend it wisely?  NO!! 
When you watch a film like "Starcrash", you must know that there had to have been dozens of different people involved in making the decisions for this film.  Production meetings HAD to have taken place -- it is impossible that they did not.  Therefore, every scene in that film, including the shooting of soldiers in bronze coffins into spaceships flying in the vacuume of space, and then have no consequence beyond broken glass, re. no outward rush of air, etc. -- This decision had to have been made with multiple people giving consent.
Wow.
Does this describe a "Borderline of Bad" or what? TongueOut
peter johnson/denny crane

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What is the borderline? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.