Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:31:10 PM
714377 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Simpsons in Canada « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Simpsons in Canada  (Read 8435 times)
AndyC
« on: February 18, 2002, 04:35:15 PM »

Well, it's official. I'm through with the Simpsons, except for reruns of good episodes.

It was the visit to Canada in last night's episode that did it. I wasn't offended, just disappointed. The Simpsons spent a full episode in New York, an episode in Japan, an episode in Australia and an episode in Africa. They went to Toronto for five minutes.

My fellow Canadians understand what a big deal it is for an American series to even acknowledge that there is a country to the north. It doesn't happen very often. This episode was pretty heavily publicized in Canada, as "the Simpsons visit Toronto." They've been known to throw in a Canadian reference now and then, so a whole episode was bound to be good. I had to tune in, and see them do a proper job of poking fun at my country. What I see is a mediocre (at best) episode of recycled plot fragments and old gags, with a brief trip to Toronto tacked on at the end for no particular reason. I swear they must be just throwing a bunch of characters' names, plot points and cities in a hat and picking out a bunch. They couldn't even draw the CN Tower properly. p**sed me off.

About the only good thing I can say about this episode was that I liked the use of the old "Take Off" song, from the Bob & Doug McKenzie album. Otherwise, it was a complete waste of time. I wish somebody would cancel this piece of s**t, and put it out of its misery.
systemcr4sh
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2002, 06:25:37 PM »

I live in canada And I was happy that they didn't spend the whole eposode there. The five min that they were in toronto they made a few cracks that were mildly amusing. Would you rather have them spend the whole episode and it be 20min (with commercials) of "Eh?" jokes? I'm happy they didn't spend so much time focusing on how different our climate is, and how we sometimes talk different. Overall it was a decent episode. The quality sure has gone down hill, but now that they canceled family guy YET AGAIN. there isn't much better on. Also they canceled Futurama, Which wasn't as good as simpsongs, but when I caught it on tv I enjoyed it. I say screw King of the hill, Cancel that crappy show. Its so unfunny its (no pun) not funny!

-dan
Drezzy
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2002, 08:06:15 PM »

Bring back Beavis & Butthead!
J.R.
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2002, 08:41:25 PM »

Yeah, but Toronto is really, really boring, much like the rest of Canada. I loved Homer's line: "America Jr.".
AndyC
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2002, 09:30:24 PM »

Toronto is far from the world-class city that it pretends to be, but I'd never call it boring, or the rest of Canada (I've even had fun in Saskatchewan!). Homer's "America Jr." line was pretty funny, especially since it's a joke on his own ignorance that will be taken as a shot at Canada by the very people it pokes fun at, much like Peter Griffin's 'Canada sucks' bit on Family Guy. Unfortunately, it just reminds me of the wasted potential of the episode. They could have played up the ignorant American angle, and really had Homer and Bart put Canadian manners to the test. Just how tolerant can we be?
J.R.
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2002, 11:33:20 PM »

It saddens me that you have so much pride in a country whose national symbol is a leaf. If Canada where nuked tomorrow nobody would miss it. Face it, if vanilla was represented by a country, you people would be it.  Have some fun at:

http://ploodang.tripod.com/anticanadaactionleague/
AndyC
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2002, 01:00:18 AM »

I probably shouldn't dignify that with a response, but I just can't let this one go. You're asking me how I can be proud of the country I live in, as if we were talking about a favourite movie or a baseball team. This is a little more serious.

Don't think I can't see the flaws in my country. No country is perfect. I'll be the first one to admit that too many of our politicians are spineless, petty and corrupt, our military is neglected (our soldiers had to bum a ride to Afghanistan, for Christ's sake), and we have a whole bunch of people who seriously think it's some kind of proud national tradition to be the world's doormat. To them, letting people walk all over you is better than making them mad. That attitude is a source of endless irritation for me. Our own government has been using our own money to undermine our cultural identity for decades.

A string of bad leaders going back to the 60s have made a huge mess that is, if not being made worse, at least being maintained by the buffoon we have today. We're overtaxed, overgoverned, and in spite of regular elections, we have nothing I would call democracy. Frankly, I'm not proud of the image Canada presents to the world.

In spite of our government and a few other influential a***oles, the country itself is pretty good, can boast its share of achievements in various fields, offers a decent standard of living, and is full of very nice people. That's the real Canada, the country I'm proud of. I can honestly say that after spending five days in the states last month, it was almost a relief to be home. It's a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

Canada offers plenty of raw material for jokes, and we make a lot of them. However, there is a difference between having a good laugh at your own shortcomings, and being ridiculed without provocation by some complete stranger who doesn't know what he's talking about. Keep in mind that you are talking about my home. Would you tell your next door neighbour that nobody would miss him if somebody burned his house down, presumably with him in it? That's what you're telling me.

What satisfaction does it give you to spew this ignorant, hateful s**t at me? What did I do to provoke it? What the hell is your problem? Either you just need to think before you speak, or you seriously want to hurt people. Which is it?
Lord_Humungous
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2002, 01:05:13 AM »

There's a country to the north?  The Arctic?  I didn't think that was considered a country....

Seriously though, J.R. - lighten up.   The U.S. could do far worse in a neighbor.

And to the Canadians - be happy the U.S. doesn't take much notice of you.  You probably wouldn't like the attention you'd get.  Ask just about any country we've directed our attention to.

Back on topic: The simpsons really should have gone off the air a couple of years ago and live happily ever after in syndication.  It could have left on a high note instead of dwindling into pure crap.

I wish fox would just let Family Guy go to cable and be done with it.  I love the show, but there's no way it'll last on TV.   I'm sure the censors had cardiac crash carts on standby every time that show was going to be aired.  I don't have cable, but at least it would be shown on a regular schedule and I'd be able to get the shows on DVD.
Cullen
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2002, 01:10:17 AM »

I was in Canada once.  *Once*.

You know, ignoring all the jokes and the putdowns, I have never heard anything bad about Canada or its people.  Perhaps having a maple leaf for a national symbol is a GOOD thing.
J.R.
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2002, 01:51:28 AM »

The Simpsons is still better than 96% of everything else on T.V. About the only other show I watch religiously is 24, but that's a one-season deal. When MST3K left (and the tenth season was one of the weakest) a few years ago, I lost a lot of hope in T.V. When The Simpsons signs off, South Park finally goes off like the creators wanted about three years ago and Conan O'Brien finally gets permanently pre-empted, my set will become a DVD monitor. Sigh...
J.R.
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2002, 01:54:13 AM »

I'm just joking around. Canadians speak funny so it's fun to laugh at them.
J.R.
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2002, 01:58:54 AM »

I'm just joking around. Man, you're like the angriest guy in all of Canada. Most other Canucks would say, "Oh, yer makin' fun a' me. Okey-dokey, I'll just stand here and take it, just to be neighborly, eh?" I'm just joking around. Canadians speak funny so I laugh at them. Simple as that.
The Bard
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2002, 02:03:32 AM »

Hey, no need for the Simpsons to make fun of Canada when Micheal Moore's classic Canadian Bacon does it best.

(Driving down a canadian road with a truck covered in anti-Canadian quotes, John Candy gets pulled over by Dan Ankroyd. John and Dan run through the whole inspection and registration blah blah blah)

Dan: Do you know why I pulled you over?
John: That writing,those dam kids must have done it
Dan: Well Canada is a 2 language nation, you have to write it in french too.
John: Oh, I see, any type of fine?
Dan: That'll be 100 Dollars
John: ...
Dan: Ten American
John: No problem
AndyC
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2002, 10:41:33 AM »

No problem. Just try to remember that when making fun of people you don't know, it's easy to tread on sensitive ground, and very easy to be misunderstood.
Funk, E.
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2002, 01:23:02 PM »

Personally I have nothing but respect for Canada. I think they've gotten a lot more right than America has. Even what little attempts they've made to reconcile with native indians is more forward thinking than the U.S. has ever been. I wish the U.S. could be more like Canada in a lot of respects. Still glad I live here in the U.S., but it seems un-necessarily bitter-sweet sometimes.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Simpsons in Canada « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.