Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:00:59 AM
713398 Posts in 53059 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  The T-Rex Rifle « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The T-Rex Rifle  (Read 10494 times)
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« on: March 20, 2007, 02:14:12 AM »

I was surfing around Youtube and found this clip of these guys shooting a .577 T-Rex rifle.

That thing has got some serious recoil!
I can only imagine the bruise that it'd put on your shoulder.

At first I thought it was a shotgun but if you watch it all the way to the end, you'll see a guy work the bolt on it.  Check out the size of the spent round he takes out of it.
Who makes this gun and why would you need one that powerful?
To hunt elephants?
Anybody know of a webpage that provides more info on it?

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQJSZs-euZU

Would you shoot one of those?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 04:14:23 AM by Ash » Logged
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 03:26:54 AM »

Smile Hi Ash.

I seem to recall Michael Jeter and Bruce A Young testing something like this in Jurassic Park 111 ~ I think that one of their colleagues blew up an aeroplane with it.  TeddyR

It would probably just bounce off a T-Rex's bum, anyway and as we know, a T-Rex's arms are too short to scratch his bum.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 08:15:15 AM »

I would say that most of these people are not used to firing rifles.  That rifle does appear to have a mother of a recoil; it does not have a heavy duty buffer system like that used by many modern high power rifles.  My uncle has a powerful Sharps buffalo rifle and the one time I fired it I looked like a lot of the people in that clip.  However, I was about 15 or 16 at the time.  He could fire it and the result looked like the last guy in that clip.  You could tell it had recoil, but he kept control of it at all times.

Tyrannosaurs were big, but about the same weight as an elephant.  Any weapon suitable for killing an elephant would work.  The one difference is that the Tyrannosaurus would be more aggressive.  Some to think of it, an Allosaurus would probably be even worse, as they are generally regarded as pure predator.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
raj

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 08:52:16 AM »

Might be good on hippopotamuses.   Hippopotamuses are mean sumb***hes.  I don't think I'd be as bad as most of those guys in the video, but my shoulder would be hurting bad for about a week.
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 09:47:52 AM »

Clearly they've never heard of firm grip, well planted into the shoulder and a good stance. In other words the basic of firing any shoulder fired weapon. We had in the Marines a weapon called the SASR which is a 50 cal bolt action shoulder fired sniper rifle, it had kick but it would knock you on your a$$ unless you well didn't follow the basics.

I'm surprised it still shot straight after being dropped so many times.

Dennis
Yes, it's true, absolutely true. I am a

I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 11:15:10 PM »

The rifle has a pretty good kick, which would be normal for a large caliber firearm. Watching some of those guys brought the phrase "that's gonna leave a mark" to mind, and yes, I would like to try that weapon out. I recently watched a program about the .50 caliber Barret sniper rifle, fires a standard .50 caliber round, semi-automatic, 10 round magazine, and a very strong recoil system with a muzzle brake, you can fire 10 aimed rounds in 4-5 seconds, according to the program a Canadian sniper team in Afghanistan took out a Taliban mortar crew from a range of 1 1/2 miles or there abouts.

Reach for the heavens in hope for the future for all that we can be, not what we are. Henry John Deutschendorf Jr.
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 11:39:47 PM »

I rifled around the internet and couldn't find a picture of the one I used in the Marines, I have some pictures of it somewhere. It predated the Barret model M82 SASR and M107 as it was from the early 80's we used it in Beirut. It did not have a magazine as it was a single shot, and it let you know real fast when you pulled the trigger. I still have shoulder pain on cold days. LOL   

T-Rex Television
Dedicated Viewer

I Am The Walrus!!

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 06:02:47 PM »

Wow,that thing is cool. I'd fire one if I had to chance, just to say I did and to see what it felt like. Jeez, you don't even need to shot the prey with it, just make them stand behind you  TeddyR

"Be still my dog of war, I understand your pain. We have all lost someone we love..."

Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2007, 06:03:07 AM »

How about a howdah pistol? A multi barrel pistol in one of those large Nitro or Express elephant gun rifle calibers.

I saw one fired on American Rifleman Television when that show was still fun and they provided more info on the older guns they featured. Blisters aplenty after firing one of those. How you were expecting to hit anything with one of those under the best of circumstances much less in the heat of the moment when fending off a tiger or other attacking or wounded wild animal.

Google around for more info, Wikipedia is kinda sparce.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2007, 06:44:51 AM »

Take a look at this custom made .60 caliber elephant pistol...
(it looks like it hits him in the face)
Small | Large

Check out this guy who is a master at speed shooting...
I'd love to be able to shoot that fast!   Smile
Small | Large

Or how 'bout this one?
Small | Large
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 06:55:10 AM by Ash » Logged
Poogie
Bad Movie Lover

uuummmmmm.....BOO!

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2007, 10:53:53 AM »

On the first one I liked how the gun flew in front of the sign posted, "AIM EVERY SHOT"   BounceGiggle

Boogie...Boogie...Boogie...Boogie...  
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2007, 12:40:29 PM »

I once saw a 10 Gauge bolt action goose gun (maybe a Mossberg) at a pawn shiop.  The thing was a cannon.  I always thought about trying to get a slug that it would fire. 
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2007, 06:24:27 AM »

I used to see 10 gauge shotguns, mostly goose guns, at the turkey shoots I went to. Lots of old timers had them, and younger folks were often wary of firing them even when the owners wanted to lend them out. The longer barrels came in handy for tighter patterns. Later on I saw less of them, but more people using guns with screw-in choke tubes.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  The T-Rex Rifle « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.