Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:43:16 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Curtain falls quickly on 'Captivity' ad campaign « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Curtain falls quickly on 'Captivity' ad campaign  (Read 13866 times)
Yaddo 42
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2007, 05:50:00 AM »

Right now they want to raise taxes again ... whereas if they recruited employers (real jobs that bring money into the community i.e industry) they'd have more taxes without raising them.

Then there's the raise taxes for an "incentive fund"  to recruit industry plan that our local governments are mulling over. They're kicking around a .5 % sales tax increase so the local economic development group can get a war chest to entice companies to locate here, lots of cries of kickbacks and bribe money going around. Retail sales taxes are already around 8-9% here depending on which county or town you're in. Plus the fights over whether to combine the money or maintain separate funds. We've had some economic growth locally after years of job losses and relocated companies (NAFTA helped kill off the textile jobs around here). The contributions of this group to that new growth we've had are questionable. One company had been looking at the area since before that group existed, and that one and the others were lured by tax breaks from the state as much as anything.

Then there's the whole "let's become a tourist destination, tourism is a major industry too" mess we've got going. Our two new swanky golf courses have turned out to be a bigger success than many of us thought (me included), but they got them and the upscale hotel in an underhanded way, and we got a gas tax increase out of that to pay for it all. The failed tourist attraction we had been saddled with from way back is doing better than before, it had to actually, but who knows longer term.

The problem is the later parts of this plan, which we were told were essential to making the whole thing work, are now held up or off the rails due to lack of clear direction, red tape, and a bull headed belief that TVA would just give them the land they needed for our new big tourist draw. Then TVA changed their land use rules, making it even less likely they'd give over the land. Add to that the fact the powers that be forgot to file the proper paperwork asking to use the land, so their hopes to "be grandfathered in" pretty much hang on their claims everyone "knew" they wanted to use the land.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
ulthar
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2007, 10:54:54 AM »

Isn't county (or other local) government fun?

A few years ago, I attended an "economic development" meeting in the town in which I lived at the time (around 50.000 people, on an Interstate and about 20 minute drive from a major City).  I worked in Law Enforcement at the time, and thus knew some of the neighborhoods they were discussing a bit more intimately than most of the audience.  Anyhoo, there were two key gists to the plan:

(1) DON'T develop the main boulevard from the I into town, as it was seen as the 'gateway' into town - beautiful tree-lined streets, etc.  A visitor's first view should be calm and memorable.
(2) Revitalize downtown by bolstering shops and ADDING DOWNTOWN MULTI-FAMILY HOUSING.

As for 1, that notion was GONE; within two years, that boulevard has been DESTROYED with multiple big shopping centers (such as one anchored by Target), motels, restaurants, a 12-plex movie theatre, etc.  This development included the addition of I think 8 traffic lights that did not exist on that road before hand, and is now a notable eyesore from the interstate.  What. A. Crock.

As bad as that is, and believe me, that helped push us out of that town, (2) was even worse.  You see, the housing (apartments and condos) that they were talking about ADDING were in an area where there were already neighborhoods - houses - people living.  Yet over and over, they talked of ADDING housing, luring people into living in the downtown area.  The idea was to get folks to move downtown WHO WOULD SPEND MONEY  IN THE DOWNTOWN SHOPS they wanted to build.

I was curious about the people already living there (mostly low income, some subsiidized type housing)?

They literally were talking about an eminent domain situation where those communities would be bulldozed.  But they did not call it that.  They blew purple happy-smoke up the rear ends of everyone at that meeting, and it was very clearly a form of economic racism (in that particular southern town, poor = black for the most part).  I asked, "What about the people already living there?  Are they just not the RIGHT people?"  Personally, I was sickened by the whole prospect of bulldozing people's homes in the name of "economic development."  I am generally politically conservative and I've been called a racist, by the way.

(2) Hasn't happened. Yet.  I can only hope that enough folks that still live in that town see what was happening and continue to stop it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Curtain falls quickly on 'Captivity' ad campaign « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.