Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:24:24 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Best Documentaries « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Best Documentaries  (Read 19042 times)
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2013, 04:12:46 PM »

Two that I've seen recently have been Crumb and Bowling for Columbine, both were excellent.

I particularly like music documentaries like American Hardcore, Until The Light Takes Us, The Decline of Western Civilization, etc. 

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
fulci420
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2013, 07:21:20 PM »

A couple people have mentioned Werner Herzog documentaries he is among the best, a couple others he made that I really enjoy:
Journey To The End of the World-A look at Antarctica and the people that choose to live there. 
Into the Abyss-A look at people on death row and how they got there.
Little Dieter Needs to Fly-The real life story behind the inspiration for his later film "Rescue Dawn".

I also love music documentaries and these are some of the best I've seen.
Dig (2004)-One of the best documentaries I have ever seen. Taking a close look at two bands "The Brian Jones town Massacre" and "The Dandy Warhols". Initially they are friends but as the Dandy Warhols rise to quick fame tensions begin to rise with the other band. So many amazing quotes in this one. Whether you know or like that bands is irrelevant as this is just pure entertainment.

Some Kind of Monster (2004) A look at Metallica recording St Anger one of the most notoriously bad albums of all time. With a shrink on call, conflicts about creative decisions and James kicking booze there is a lot going on here. These are some sensitive guys, but wait to you hear Dave Mustaine whine!

On the topic of movies:
The Battle over Citzen Kane-This comes with many special editions of Citzen Kane. This is an awesome documentary about Orson Welles and his feud with Hearst. This along with Ebert's commentary over the film itself greatly enriched my appreciation of this legendary movie.

The Fear of God-British critic Mark Kermode present's this excellent documentary about The Exorcist and its legacy. This is on the blu ray and dvd special editions.

ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2013, 07:51:52 PM »

A couple people have mentioned Werner Herzog documentaries he is among the best, a couple others he made that I really enjoy:
Journey To The End of the World-A look at Antarctica and the people that choose to live there. 
Into the Abyss-A look at people on death row and how they got there.
Little Dieter Needs to Fly-The real life story behind the inspiration for his later film "Rescue Dawn".

Thumbup Thumbup Werner Herzog.  JOURNEY TO THE END OF THE WORLD was top notch and incredibly interesting.

I've got both LITTLE DIETER and RESCUE DAWN in the Netflix queue, but have not watched them yet.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2013, 08:39:30 PM »

Some Kind of Monster (2004) A look at Metallica recording St Anger one of the most notoriously bad albums of all time. With a shrink on call, conflicts about creative decisions and James kicking booze there is a lot going on here. These are some sensitive guys, but wait to you hear Dave Mustaine whine!

I have never been able to make it all the way thru this one. I've tried to watch it twice (when it first premiered on VH1 a couple of years ago I recorded it) but both times I've fallen asleep halfway thru. I'm gonna have to pick an evening when I'm not so damned tired and watch it all the way thru!

Since my last post I also remembered another doc I enjoyed recently: "The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters," about the battle to claim a World Record high score on Donkey Kong.

fulci420
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2013, 09:16:19 PM »

Good pick on King of Kong, I wouldn't mind watching it again actually.
Small | Large

Also just remembered "Overnight" which follows Boondock Saint's director's Troy Duffy rag to riches story. Going from working at a bar to directing a Hollywood film his ego ends up repelling those around him and leaving him alone and penniless.
Small | Large
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 09:21:52 PM by fulci420 » Logged
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2013, 11:41:34 PM »

Gates of Heaven
This Film is not Yet Rated
Best Worst Movie
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 12:49:57 AM by bob » Logged

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2013, 09:56:46 AM »

Erroll Morris' THE THIN BLUE LINE, about an innocent man on death row in Texas.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2013, 01:38:14 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIBrcU768Cg

The funny thing about "King of Kong" is that if I didn't know better, I'd almost swear it was a "mockumentary" ala Christopher Guests's "Best in Show" or "Mighty Wind." But nope, these are actual people...which is kinda scary.  TeddyR

ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2013, 01:45:19 PM »

OFFICE SPACE was a pretty good documentary.    BounceGiggle

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2013, 08:46:44 AM »

Small | Large

Chi Guy: Weapons of Mass Decibels (2008)
ChaosTheory

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2013, 04:20:22 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIBrcU768Cg

The funny thing about "King of Kong" is that if I didn't know better, I'd almost swear it was a "mockumentary" ala Christopher Guests's "Best in Show" or "Mighty Wind." But nope, these are actual people...which is kinda scary.  TeddyR

Thumbup Thumbup I love KING OF KONG.
My favorite random moment was when they briefly showed the Frogger champion, and he looked exactly what I expected him to look like! 

Some of my other favorites:
THE BRIDGE and DEAR ZACHARY: A FATHER'S LETTER TO HIS SON are both pretty amazing.....if you like to feel miserable.
METAL: A HEADBANGER'S JOURNEY
THE FILTH AND THE FURY
the WESTERN CIVILIZATION docs
ANOTHER STATE OF MIND
EXIT THROUGH THE GIFT SHOP

I have never been able to make it all the way thru this one. I've tried to watch it twice (when it first premiered on VH1 a couple of years ago I recorded it) but both times I've fallen asleep halfway thru. I'm gonna have to pick an evening when I'm not so damned tired and watch it all the way thru!

I like that one, if only for Torben.   BounceGiggle

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
Archivist

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2013, 02:27:37 AM »

In recent years I've found some great documentaries.

Salt - not the movie with Angelina Jolie, but a doco about the Australian landscape photographer Murray Fredericks who spent years traveling to the Lake Eyre salt flats and taking photos of the stars and surroundings.  He travels and lives alone for weeks on end and comes back with the most spectacular images.

Small | Large

Samsara - the latest movie from the people who brought us Chronos, Baraka and Koyaanisqatsi, this is a nonverbal movie with some of the most stunning imagery I've seen on screen.  They traveled through 25 countries over five years to capture this.

Small | Large

Legend of a Warrior - a movie by filmmaker Corey Lee, who's father is White Crane and kickboxing legend Frank Lee.  For those of you who like HK action cinema, Frank Lee was the trainer of Billy Chow, the tall mustachioed kickboxer who regularly appeared in Jackie Chan movies like Dragons Forever.  Corey hasn't trained with his father for 25 years, preferring to go into film making, so he goes back to train with his dad and hopefully reconnect with him.  It's a great biopic as well as moving story about a martial arts family.

Small | Large

Taiwan Revealed - Cinema Formosa.  This Discovery Channel doco follows the development of the Taiwanese blockbuster 'Warriors of the Rainbow', which depicts a historical battle between native Taiwanese and Japanese occupying forces.  A fascinating look at the state of Taiwanese cinema and how big movies are made.

Small | Large

And who can forget 'Anvil - The Story of Anvil'.  The band Anvil came into being during the 80's but never had the same success as their contemporaries like Metallica and Poison.  But decades on and they are still rocking it out in their 40's and 50's, holding down jobs so they can stay true to their metal dreams.  The film follows them as they go on a very mismanaged European tour, fraught with accidents and disappointment.  The upside is that after this was released, Anvil got a massive upswing in popularity and have gone on to tour with big bands from that era.

Small | Large

http://www.youtube.com/user/anvilthemovie

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2013, 09:38:12 PM »

- Cocaine Cowboys (2006), the story of marijuana and cocaine traffic in Miami during the 70s and 80s. Many criminals that survived that era provide testmonies.

Yep. came in to post this one. it's on youtube now, great doc...

Small | Large

The funny thing about "King of Kong" is that if I didn't know better, I'd almost swear it was a "mockumentary" ala Christopher Guests's "Best in Show" or "Mighty Wind." But nope, these are actual people...which is kinda scary.  TeddyR

Strangely enough I said almost exactly this when I was talking about it with someone the other day. It fits right in with that spoof genre even though it's real.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 02:28:49 PM by zombie #1 » Logged

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
dean

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2013, 01:29:19 AM »

For movie fans, here are three of my favourites:

Not Quite Hollywood [doco on Australian genre films from the 70s and 80s such as Mad Max and the like.]

Small | Large

Machete Maidens [pretty much the same as above but about the south east asian industry with folk like Roger Corman etc.]

Small | Large

Both feature a heap of explosions, babes and blood and is a hell of alot of fun.

Baadassssss Cinema [Doco on Blaxploitation films.]

Couldn't find a trailer, but here's some of it here:

Small | Large

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Neville

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2013, 06:15:58 AM »

For movie fans, here are three of my favourites:

Not Quite Hollywood [doco on Australian genre films from the 70s and 80s such as Mad Max and the like.]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLm1ppE_Ib0

I saw this one last year, I found it very entertaining and informative. Later I checked out some of the movies it mentions more prominently, and boy, I was not disappointed. a must see for trash / exploitation cinema.

I'll see if I can find the other two.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Best Documentaries « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.