Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:32:05 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Movie Reviews  |  Transformers: Autobop « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Transformers: Autobop  (Read 3345 times)
clockworkcanary
Bad Movie Lover

« on: March 30, 2007, 08:06:39 AM »

Overview
Well, we’re getting into Season 2 of the Transformers here…right at the peak of the show’s (and toy’s) popularity.  It’s also rather obvious, at this point, that they started running out of ideas.  After the horrible “Krimzeek” episode, we get this pile of steaming, rolling dung of an episode with annoying humans, lackluster Autobots, and a nightclub gone bad.

Why is it bad you ask?  Is it the break dancing?  Could it be the repetitious “Cold Slither” played in the club –the song once performed by the Cobra rock band in G.I. Joe?  Is it the annoying humans?  No silly, this plot revolves around a front for an evil Decepticon plan, conducted by Starscream and Soundwave to hypnotize humans to …to…well I don’t know what the hell they wanted them for other than they just wanted to be evil.  I’m sure the episode explains the reasoning behind it, but I’m not watching that s**t again. 

This episode was the second one to focus on Raoul, the street smart break dancin’ fool who helped the Autopots before.  For some reason, he’s good friends with one of the dorkier Autopots, “Tracks” – what a clever name.  This episode’s saving grace, other than the awesome, gnarly, blast-me-out-the-door break dancin’ is the appearance of Starscream and Soundwave, two of the more popular Decepticons.  Why they would care about controlling humans is a good question.

I often wandered why they chose to change the direction of the series during and after the movie.  This episode and others like it are a good reminder why it might not have been so bad that they made changes (although I still don’t agree with all those changes and how they were executed, but that’s another gripe).   I may not be wild about Rodimus Prime, but at least they tried something different than this kinda crap.  Thank the matrix this series was redeemed by Beast Wars.

Recap Summary
Raoul, a streetwise break dancer we met in a previous episode (for those familiar with the series) and his two friends from the “Let’s Get Physical” video try to do some breaking on the street but they are ran off by the bouncers from the Dancatron nightclub across the street.  They get chased off by a mob.

Blaster and Tracks, two new Autobots who weren’t originally on the Ark show up and save the day.  I guess this is where transforming boom boxes and sports cars hang out at night.  Tracks and Blaster help fight off the bouncers but not before Tracks, being the detective he is, noticed a business man among the bouncers.  They go in to investigate and Tracks notices more people out of place in the club.

Meanwhile, from an undisclosed location, Starscream and Soundwave notice the Autobots in their club.  They decide to eliminate the Autobots and the break dancers.  The break dancers hop on the subway but the conductor smashes the controls (because that’s what they’re paid to do) and Tracks and Blaster have to save them yet again.

Tracks wants to investigate some more while Blaster and a couple break dancers talk to Teletran One, the super duper Autobot computer back at the Ark. Tracks notices more people out of place on the way to the club.  These people are at a construction yard building a new, bigger, better, more improved Dancatron.  Raoul’s two break dancin’ friends get free tickets to Dancatron so they go in and get hypnotized.  Blaster hears the hypnotizing sounds via Teletran One so he goes to investigate.

Tracks shows up at the evil nightclub and makes Raoul wait outside.  Starscream orders the hypnotized people to capture Tracks (?!).  Blaster shows up.  Raoul heads inside and puts napkins in his ears, which protect him somehow. 

Raoul frees tracks (?!) and Blaster and Soundwave get it on with a sonar battle that should have been in the movie.  Tracks chases Starscream away while the two stereo systems destroy the place.  Raoul, being the detective that he is, discovers that water breaks the hypnotic effects, so he activates the sprinklers.

Blaster and Soundwave continue their sound battle while Tracks creates clouds and the rain brings the people at the construction site back to reality.  It must be nice to be able to make rain.  Blaster finally uses some extra speakers to defeat Soundwave.  Tracks flies through the building, followed by Starscream, who hits a wall.  The Autobots destroy the place and poor Raoul broke his boom box.

THE END

The Good
Sniveling Starscream’s appearance in the show is always good
Soundwave and Blaster face off, finally
More focus on just a couple toys…I mean, characters

The Bad
Totally 80s dude, like, to the max – let’s break dance
“Cold Slitha you’ll be joinin’ us soon…a band of vipers…”
The nightclub’s one song, “Cold Slither” also played in G.I. Joe episodes
Human characters

The Fugly
An evil nightclub plot?  That was their master plan?
Logic of water > hypnotic waves
Nightclub patrons

Things I learned
Napkins can stop hypnotic sonar
Water can relieve you if you’ve been brainwashed
Humans can take down transformers by ganging up on them
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 08:10:08 AM by clockworkcanary » Logged

Join us as we discuss all things schlock at Three Knock Theater podcast:

Facebook Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/197572800347267/

Youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrLYkyXabfSwpcRQjhUMErQ
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Movie Reviews  |  Transformers: Autobop « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.