Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:40:30 AM
712924 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 146
Author Topic: World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE)  (Read 736532 times)
Scott
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« on: April 03, 2007, 12:08:52 AM »

Haven't watched in a while, but had to tune in tonight for the results of WRESTLEMANIA.

1) The show started off with Shaun Micheals and John Cena defending their tag team titles against 20 tag teams in two 10 tag team battle royals during the first half hour.

2) The Wrestling Hall Of Fame inductee ceremony was neat. Always great to see the old time greats get some air time again.

3) Vince McMahan getting his head shave and Donald Trump getting the Stone Cold Stunner.

Fell a sleep around 10pm and missed the rest of the show.

Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 02:02:58 AM »

My wrestling watching fan days ended long ago, but I sometimes see part of Smackdown on Friday night before work since there's so little on then. They've really amped up the production, the bombast, and the visuals over the years, and the women have gotten better looking in a trashy sort of way. Yet the sense of fun just isn't there for me.

I had heard about the McMahon vs. Trump proxy hair match, color me unsurprised that Trump kept his hair. Wikipedia says Trump did get a Stone Cold Stunner from Austin, that might have fun to watch.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 08:25:10 AM »

the sense of fun just isn't there for me.

I agree.
Pro wrestling is still ok to watch every now & then, but there seems to be something missing.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 10:14:44 AM »

I used to watch wrestling in the first half of the '80s, but lost interest long ago.  Now if they'd come out with a women's wrestling show...  TeddyR

There was a pretty funny scene on one of those shows not long ago though - two wrestlers were out in the parking lot beating the tar out of each other, and the announcers were excitedly exclaiming about how unbelievable the action was, then we got a quick camera shot of the announcers and they had their heads down, reading all this stuff off their scripts.   Too funny.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 11:02:33 AM by Jack » Logged

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Scott

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 11:06:04 AM »

My main years for Pro Wrestling viewing were (1980 - 1985). I haven't really been a big Pro Wrestling fan since about 1985 but did have a major ressurgence for me during the WWF/WCW/ECW days of the later 90's.

1) Ric Flair would say that Pro Wrestling goes through cycles of popularity about every 10 years.

2) Nick Bockwinkel once said that over exposer will kill Pro Wrestling. With satillite television it's hard to keep the "acts" fresh. With the old regional promotions before satillite a wrestler could move from territory to territory and find a new audience for his "act". Now with satillite they have no where to hide. Before they could go to another region and then return at some later time with the fans anticipating and remembering the chaos he created with just a mention of his return.

3) Vince McMahan once had a strategy for killing Pro Wrestling so he could ressurect it later on, but Turners WCW stopped him in the 90's and ECW brought a whole new brand of extreme matches.

4) Terry Funk was correct when he said that WWE has to change their format with the Titantron and such to give the matches a different aura. A different atmosphere. Perhaps this is what WWE has done with their new ECW show and TNA with the octagon ring, but nothing will beat the old close up studio matches of the 70's and early 80's where you felt like you were close to that action and could even hear the voices of ther wrestlers better.

It's hard to bring in fresh new talent with ring and mic skills that come from years of experience. That's why you see a bunch of muscle guys with no real talent in the WWE now days. Hulk Hogan could get away with it because of his instant charisma, but most aren't born with that. Actually Hogan did have to develope the act over a number of years before he became big and then the film ROCKY III put him over the top. Pro Wrestlers have to develope a character over time which comes with years of being and watching things in the ring from veterans who know the business.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 11:37:01 AM by Scott » Logged

JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 11:58:46 AM »

Wrestling today feels like a carciature of itself. At least years ago they attempted to create some sustained level of believability and at least played it up like it was a real sport adding to the overall illusion but nowadays they don't even seem to try very hard at making it take on any semblance of reality. It usually just feels like guys are going through the motions out there now and everything is so pre-scripted nowadays, with wrestlers running through their pre-planned spots that when fans naturally respond in a way unexpected, the wrestlers unlike those from years back and a few of the veterans still around (who tend to get far better response from the fans than the newer guys) no longer seem to know how to improvise on the spot in order to work and excite the crowd watching.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Scott

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 12:40:13 PM »

Yea, I think The Undertaker is a good example. When they had him talking more a year or two ago with the motorcycle he wasn't doing so well, but you leave him alone with only an entrance and departure and you have an interesting character, but when you follow them behind the scenes you loose a lot of the mystique of the individual wrestler. Not all the talented wrestlers can talk and not all the talkers can wrestle. Even when you get both they get boring with over exposer. After all it's a show and not real competition, so exposer is a killer.

The wrestlers from 70's and early 80's had a mythos. They were indestructible and when they did get hurt it there was a very serious tone to it. They would come on camera and beat a jobber in a match designed to exhibit all the skills of the "star" then when the match was over maybe an interview about the weeks coming matches in various local towns and that was it. The Dark Ages of Wrestling. They also developed the flying break "fall" during those years and the studio matches were perfect for sound effects coming from the ring falls and stomping punches and kicks.

Now they have "stars" fight in every televised match. There are no "jobbers" anymore and the crowd is to prominent and distracting from the in ring psychology of the match. There was a time in about the late 80's you started to hear the crowds shout "boring" during the matches. Unfortunately they picked the unhappy fan over that special something that made it magic. Guess times change and you can't bring it back. Perhaps a new "era" will come into the Wrestling world through a wrestler or style that will come about through new media outlets. Not sure how they can do it because they tried with the Raw/Smackdown/and now ECW old and new school. They tried creating other entities within themselves, but it's still clearly WWE.

They just had Chris Benoit submit to John Cena a couple weeks ago. Can you believe that?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 12:52:59 PM by Scott » Logged

JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 04:43:33 PM »

Sometimes you'll see the wrestlers screw up their intended spot and then repeat it over again despite this flub....making me and  I assume many other viewers groan because it's so obvious what they're doing, that one guy is laying there waiting for the other guy to do a fancy flip on top of him, whatever. The old-time wrestlers tended to know how to cover their butts in the case of such mistakes and often called their matches in the ring as they were happening without all this laid out scripting and spot for spot stuff that goes on nowadays. These old pros actually used and manipulated the crowd to their ends and the crowds back then ate it up. I miss the old smoke-filled arenas atmosphere with the little old ladies who cried foul whenever the heel would cheat and often would get visually upset with said heel. I miss the cries from the audience for blood, violence and mayhem with at least a portion of said audience fooled by the exhibition going on in front of them.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 04:45:21 PM by JaseSF » Logged

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
D-Man
Bad Movie Lover

Only my head is tiny...

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 09:26:20 PM »

I used to be a big Wrestling fan back when I was a kid.  I briefly came back to it in the late 90's/early 00's, when the cruiserweights of WCW caught my eye, primarily.  I briefly watched the WWF then as well, but they were more about selling T-shirts with catch-phrases all over them then wrestling.  Unfortunately, WCW was plagued by old men hogging the spotlight, the company was absorbed by the competition, catch-phrases eventually won out over talent, and I haven't watched any Pro Wrestling since. 
Scott

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2007, 09:33:11 PM »

The old-time wrestlers tended to know how to cover their butts in the case of such mistakes and often called their matches in the ring as they were happening without all this laid out scripting and spot for spot stuff that goes on nowadays. These old pros actually used and manipulated the crowd to their ends and the crowds back then ate it up.

They did know how to work a match and work the crowd.

I miss the old smoke-filled arenas atmosphere with the little old ladies who cried foul whenever the heel would cheat and often would get visually upset with said heel. I miss the cries from the audience for blood, violence and mayhem with at least a portion of said audience fooled by the exhibition going on in front of them.

At least the fans were able to suspend their beliefs in "reality" for a brief time through the talent of those in the ring.

Scott

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2007, 09:37:07 PM »

I used to be a big Wrestling fan back when I was a kid.  I briefly came back to it in the late 90's/early 00's, when the cruiserweights of WCW caught my eye, primarily.  I briefly watched the WWF then as well, but they were more about selling T-shirts with catch-phrases all over them then wrestling.  Unfortunately, WCW was plagued by old men hogging the spotlight, the company was absorbed by the competition, catch-phrases eventually won out over talent, and I haven't watched any Pro Wrestling since. 

The "Monday Night Wars" between WCW and WWF were great during the late 90's with Steve Austin, Mick Foley, NWO, and many more.

venomx
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2007, 12:21:19 AM »

Wrestling fans? good listen to this ... In an interview with CBS Sportsline, Brock Lesnar says he would be willing to fight former pro wrestling colleague Kurt Angle. thats fight as in MMA

"If somebody wants to set it up, I'm all for it," confirms Lesnar, who makes his MMA debut on June 2 against Hong-Man Choi.

I cant wait to see him fight in MMA.
Scott

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2007, 01:33:47 PM »

That would be very interesting.

Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2007, 02:30:47 PM »

Wrestling fans? good listen to this ... In an interview with CBS Sportsline, Brock Lesnar says he would be willing to fight former pro wrestling colleague Kurt Angle. thats fight as in MMA

"If somebody wants to set it up, I'm all for it," confirms Lesnar, who makes his MMA debut on June 2 against Hong-Man Choi.

I cant wait to see him fight in MMA.

It would be interesting, but TNA (Angle's current place of employment) won't allow him to fight with MMA. Plus, considering that Angle has broken his neck numerous times and is in nowhere near top shape, an MMA style fight could conceivably kill him. In TNA, he can work around his limitations; in a "real" fight, that wouldn't be possible. Angle has wanted to fight in MMA for a while, but it wouldn't be in his best interests to do so.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
Scott

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2007, 05:15:07 PM »

I didn't know Kurt Angle had neck injuries. He should probably even stop wrestling altogether.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 146
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.