Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:11:01 AM
714312 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Fight Club (1999) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Fight Club (1999)  (Read 9791 times)
clockworkcanary
Bad Movie Lover

« on: April 05, 2007, 08:08:28 AM »

Some people aren't that wild about this flick but I love it.  It's one of the few movies I can watch over and over.  I have yet to read the book it was based on - heard it was pretty good too.  I've often thought about writing something up on this flick but after rewatching it the other night, I'm afraid it would take awhile (plus I haven't even got half of my review/essay done on EWS anyway).  Good movies have a hell of a lot more to write about than bad movies, that's for sure.

At any rate, when I first heard about Fight Club, I wasn't interested.  I ended up finally watching it back in 2002 and loved it ever since.  I'm glad they never tried to make a sequel (unless they happen to subtitle it "Angry Soccor Moms" haha.

Join us as we discuss all things schlock at Three Knock Theater podcast:

Facebook Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/197572800347267/

Youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrLYkyXabfSwpcRQjhUMErQ
ghouck
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 10:20:00 AM »

It's a good movie IMO, Rightfully on the "50 films to see before you die" list. Many, many memorable scenes and lines. The overall idea of how the story plays out is brilliant IMO.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
dean

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 12:03:41 PM »

The movie is great.  Fincher is a terrific director and this is safely one of the best adaptations of a novel ever.

I was lucky enough to study this film twice at uni, once was part of a novel and film subject, so I did get the chance to read the book.  It's a great book, and interestingly enough, reads quite similar to how they structured the film.  Many things have changed of course, but the overall tone and feel carry through from the written word, to the film itself.

I'd reccommend the book, since Chuck is a great author, if not a bit wacko.  If you can read his short story "Guts" which is apparently notorious for making people throw up [or at least pretend to] whenever he read it in public.

One of my favourite films, and one I can rewatch over and over and still get alot from it...

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Neville

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 02:40:12 PM »

I've read several novels by Palahniuk, they're very good if you can tolerate the occasional nastiness and the Easton Ellis-esque prose. My favourite must be "Lullaby".

I'd go on and on why I like this movie so much, but we all know what the first rule of the Fight Club is, don't we?

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
SaintMort
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 02:44:58 PM »

I've read several novels by Palahniuk, they're very good if you can tolerate the occasional nastiness and the Easton Ellis-esque prose. My favourite must be "Lullaby".

I'd go on and on why I like this movie so much, but we all know what the first rule of the Fight Club is, don't we?

I agree the Lullaby is my favorite as well. I'm actually not a huge fan. I've read all but like 2 of his books and I think they kinda blur together after a while, stylewise anyway. I liked Lullaby the most because it was the biggest departure for his normal writing style
Fausto
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 02:47:33 PM »

Awesome movie....fun fact: Chuck was inspired to write the story after getting beaten up on a camping trip (or at least, thats how I understood it). I was just talking about Palahuanik last night. There was another story, in his book Haunted, about a person who was forced into involintary quarantine because they had a strange disease. It came back to me, recently, while reading an article about a guy thrown in prison because he had TB. Chuck's stories are like that-no matter how messed up they are, they always have some basis in fact. Buggedout

"When I die, I hope you will use my body creatively." - Shin Chan

"Tonight, we will honor the greatest writers in America with a modest 9 by 12 certificate and a check for three thousand dollars...three thousand dollars? Stephen King makes more than that for writing boo on a cocktail napkin." - Jimmy Breslin
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 08:00:11 PM »

Let me just say this about Fight Club:

No matter how many films I've seen....none have been able to top Fight Club for me.  It's my favorite film of all time, and looks like it's going to hold that spot for a while.

As for Phalahinuk, I've always felt that Survivor was his best work.  It's a strange, fast paced book.  I love the fact that it reads backwards, including the page numbers.  It's also a huge satire on what we believe as far as religion and who we look up to.

At one point they were talking about making Survivor into a feature film, but it fell through after 9-11 as the book starts with Tender Branson hijacking a plane and deciding to crash it and kill himself.  Not sure why the film never got back on track.  Would love to see someone take a stab at adapting it.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
rebel_1812
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2007, 09:25:49 PM »

i think the acting is what made the film.  The main charecter was specatular.

Torgo

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007, 10:14:04 PM »

I actually saw Fight Club when it originally came out in theaters.

I was absolutely floored by it and I think that a lot of people missed the huge amount of humor in the film (how in the world could you miss it?).

I still haven't read the book though and have been planning on doing that for quite some time.

BTW, here's a really funny Fight Club parody.

http://www.starz.com/features/bunnyclub/fight_club/index.html

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2021, 04:27:33 PM »

One of the best films to come out in a great year for movies.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Fight Club (1999) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.