Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:56:36 PM
713368 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Pink Flamingos. . . « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Pink Flamingos. . .  (Read 12943 times)
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2007, 12:56:03 AM »

And, yes, OF COURSE Waters & Co. all still insist it was for real -- It's a great story!!  It's a story that first helped seal Waters' reputation.
     I've been reading about the doggy-doo eating since 1969, and somehow the story changes slightly & gets a bit better each time.  In his earlier interviews, Waters never says the poo-eating was real.  What he says instead is that "we were young!" and out to shock.  I know he succeeded, but the whole story about Divine claiming to have gotten hepatitis from it, etc., cannot be found in any older interview, only newer ones.
peter sceptic/denny skeptic
It doesn't seem so interesting a story to me!  Sorry, Sceptic Skeptic, but I saw Divine myself on Tom Snyder's Tomorrow Show probably before 1980 (it went off the air in 1981).  Divine may have lied, but I wouldn't make it up; he claimed to have consumed dog doo and extracted an illness later.   I did not look at the youtube clip, but would if seriously interested.  I don't know anyone who ever doubted that Divine consumed dog doo for that shot who ever looked at it.  Afterall, the film was rated X back in the old days, and I expect it still would be in all states today.  I am a born skeptic yet never doubted Divine did it; one has to merely look at the film to confirm it.  I hope Divine didn't do it, but I saw the interview, so, call him a liar.  The most amazing thing to me is what people think is impossible. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
peter johnson
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2007, 07:18:42 PM »

Okay, for sure --
Perhaps Divine really did eat actual dog doo in the scene -- The fact she SAYS she did means nothing at all -- by 1980/81, this was a majorly famous film segment, especailly with Punk coming on strong in mainstream America.
As I said, I need to rewatch this on a big screen 35mm presentation, and not on YouTube.  On YouTube, it frankly looks fake as hell -- I hope that it looks more real from an actual print.
Just to be redundant:  It LOOKS like Divine is eating a dog turd -- but if you examine the scene as shot, there are numerous reasons to believe she did not --
peter j/denny c

I have no idea what this means.
peter johnson
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2007, 11:56:30 PM »

John Waters and Divine didn't address the "reality" of the scene until many years after the fact --
Uri Geller always insisted that he bent spoons for "real", until being unmasked by James Randi.
The fact that something "looks real to you" or that someone says something is "real" means nothing at all. 
As someone who knows and has worked with stage magicians for many years, I gotta say that as presented on YouTube, the scene has many reasons to be questioned as possibly fake.
Doesn't it strike anyone as odd that Divine doesn't just put her hand under the dog's butt and scoop up?  She doesn't do that.  She wave her hands all over the scene -- whenever anyone does that, it means usually that someone is "palming" something.  In this case, the "palming" could be that of a fake turd.
peter j/denny c.

I have no idea what this means.
SaintMort
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2007, 11:30:31 AM »

I'm not going to lie... I can't not believe that it was real. You watch pink flamingos and so much more of the stuff is real... eating dog s**t is kinda mild in comparison
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2007, 12:05:10 PM »

The biggest reason the movie was made was in response to Deep Throat which had caused such a controversy that they were arresting the cast for Indecency so The Water's Crew decided to see how far they could push the limits (infact the Divine BlowJob was done specifically to mock Deep Throat)
That's debatable as PINK FLAMINGOS was released in March 1972; DEEP THROAT was released in June 1972 (according to the imdb). 

I'm not going to lie... I can't not believe that it was real. You watch pink flamingos and so much more of the stuff is real... eating dog s**t is kinda mild in comparison
Agreed. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
SaintMort
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2007, 06:14:27 PM »

the Blowjob thing is stated by Waters in the commentary track... he says it was one of the last things he shot
Hunky Magoo
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2007, 05:40:57 AM »

John Waters is defenetly a member of the Cult Film/B-Movie  Rat Pack

Oh listen Tender Lumplings let me take you by the hands.
I'll take you from this hell-hole to the Promised Land.
But don't blame me, oh children, if those promises don't keep.
'Cause promises like lives, can be bought so very cheap.
batty007
New Visitor

« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2007, 07:43:56 AM »

John Waters is the Voltaire of our generation. He writes good satire, and good satire is always painful to watch. The truth hurts doesn't it?
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Pink Flamingos. . . « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.