Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:33:01 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Just saw GRINDHOUSE. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Author Topic: Just saw GRINDHOUSE.  (Read 28934 times)
KYGOTC
Corprate slimeball of E.E.S.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Be EXELLENT to each other...and PARTY ON DUDES!!

« on: April 07, 2007, 12:56:06 AM »

I just came home from seeing GRINDHOUSE, and it was what i expected it woud be. Planet Terror was the coolest thing Ive seen in theaters EVER, and Death Proof was less than satisfying. Planet Terror is filled to the brim with gore , humor, and ......more gore.......and more humor, while Death Proof had me sitting thru almost 75 miniutes of drunk girls going on and on about their ex boyfriends and the like. There was also something else I really didnt like about Death Proof, but I dont want to ruin it for anyone. I dont want to go on talking about this movie and acidentaly give something away, so I'll stop typing. Ill start writing a review for it tommorow, Now im gonna go to bed. Goodnight everybody!

-KYGOTC

(ps. the fake trailers in this movie are phonominal! I think it would be cool if maybe theyd make a sequel using those) 
« Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 01:01:18 AM by KYGOTC » Logged

"I'm a man too, you know! I go pee-pee standing up!"
akiratubo

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 06:20:03 AM »

Death Proof actually looks more interesting to me, though I'm not a fan of Robert Rodriguez nor Quentin Tarantino.  Just from the trailers, it looks like Planet Terror is a knowingly bad movie while Death Proof is played straight, though the trailers may be misleading.  I have an idea of what you don't want to spoil about Death Proof and, if it is what I think it is, it sounds like a lousy idea to me, too.

I'll probably go see this tonight.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Joe
Bad Movie Lover

What are you afraid of? It's only rock n' roll.

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 08:39:44 AM »

I SAW IT YESTERDAY TO! AMAZING!
KYGOTC

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 02:13:30 PM »

I have an idea of what you don't want to spoil about Death Proof and, if it is what I think it is, it sounds like a lousy idea to me, too.

Yea, after you see it tell me if it ended up being what you thought it was and if it was disipointing.

venomx
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2007, 03:39:56 PM »

The trailers look great I cant wait to see it. I want that car.
the only part that sounds bad is "sitting thru almost 75 miniutes of drunk girls going on and on about their ex boyfriends"
« Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 03:43:46 PM by venomx » Logged
KYGOTC

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2007, 05:53:20 PM »

the only part that sounds bad is "sitting thru almost 75 miniutes of drunk girls going on and on about their ex boyfriends"

Well, mabe I exagerated a bit. I estimate that DEATH PROOF is about 75 minuetes long, and, I kid you not, over half of that consists of the girl's mindless droning. But i did like the Stuntman Mike charecter...

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2007, 06:55:11 PM »

I saw this today and here are my thoughts.

PLANET TERROR - Great mix of action, humor, gore, sex . . . just about everything.  Highly entertaining.  I loved the scratchy, jumpy picture effects to make it look like a damaged print of a 1970s film.

The various mock trailers were also great.  I loved the one for MACHETE and the trailer for DON'T was hilarious.

DEATH PROOF - It seems like Tarantino slightly missed the boat here.  PLANET TERROR was a great spoof of grindhouse flicks, but DEATH PROOF was more like a slick, modern Tarantino film.  It wasn't nearly as gritty as PLANET TERROR and it took too long to get to the fun.  But I must say that the car chase scenes were very well done.

Overall, this is 3+ hours of over-the-top entertainment that is definitely worth the price of admission.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2007, 03:15:56 AM »

Check out this video review of Grindhouse:

http://bventertainment.go.com/tv/buenavista/ebertandroeper/
Fausto
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2007, 10:34:43 AM »

Saw this on friday...IT WAS INCREDIBLE! Planet Terror was AWESOME.....Death Proof was really good too...I do agree with it being incredibly slow at the beginning, but I loved the end. Historically, the second film in a double feature is never as good as the first, and are usually created for no other reason than to get audiences to shell out more money (there were A movies, which were followed by B movies, which is where the term B-film orginates).

"When I die, I hope you will use my body creatively." - Shin Chan

"Tonight, we will honor the greatest writers in America with a modest 9 by 12 certificate and a check for three thousand dollars...three thousand dollars? Stephen King makes more than that for writing boo on a cocktail napkin." - Jimmy Breslin
Distopian
New Visitor

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2007, 11:24:11 AM »

I think this thread should probablly be in the "Good Movies" section. Even though the movies are portrayed as B-movies they most certainly aren't. I think I heard the budget for both films was approx. 55 million dollars. Now we all know part of the reason a lot of those movies we love looked so bad and half-realized, was because they simply couldnt afford to achieve their directors visions. In this case Tarantino and Rodriguez spend a boat load of money to emulate having no money...kinda weird. What this all equates to is...A great movie experience. Planet Terror is so insanely cool in all aspects. Death Proof is pretty good, but was bogged down by all the female dialogue filled with "normal" minutia. Rest assured, it will not disapoint.

The report read "Routine retirement of a replicant." That didn't make me feel any better about shooting a woman in the back.
BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2007, 12:17:33 PM »

I saw this today and here are my thoughts.

PLANET TERROR - Great mix of action, humor, gore, sex . . . just about everything.  Highly entertaining.  I loved the scratchy, jumpy picture effects to make it look like a damaged print of a 1970s film.

The various mock trailers were also great.  I loved the one for MACHETE and the trailer for DON'T was hilarious.

DEATH PROOF - It seems like Tarantino slightly missed the boat here.  PLANET TERROR was a great spoof of grindhouse flicks, but DEATH PROOF was more like a slick, modern Tarantino film.  It wasn't nearly as gritty as PLANET TERROR and it took too long to get to the fun.  But I must say that the car chase scenes were very well done.

Overall, this is 3+ hours of over-the-top entertainment that is definitely worth the price of admission.

I saw Grindhouse on Thursday at a late showing which was the first at 10:00 where I took a survey to see what I liked about the film. I pretty much agree with Burgo. Death Proof I felt was Tarantino trying to make a new Grindhouse flick using his style. Critics are praising his dialogue but I really wanted Jungle Julia dead as she was annoying me. Kurt did have some great lines.

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?

It's neVer over!

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2007, 12:34:26 PM »

It should stay in Bad movies, as it defiinitely appeals mostly to the demographic

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
Fausto
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2007, 05:32:11 PM »

Rotten Tomatoes has a new feature, Grindhouse A-Z, which goes through the top-rated grindhouse-style movies that inspired the film. Very interesting stuff, including some movies I have seen, and even some reviewed on this site, and movies I now want (and have) to see (There is actually a movie called "Ilsa, she wolf of the SS"!).

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/features/special/2007/grindhouse/?feature=2

"When I die, I hope you will use my body creatively." - Shin Chan

"Tonight, we will honor the greatest writers in America with a modest 9 by 12 certificate and a check for three thousand dollars...three thousand dollars? Stephen King makes more than that for writing boo on a cocktail napkin." - Jimmy Breslin
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2007, 06:44:58 PM »

Fausto:

ILSA: SHE WOLF OF THE S.S. is available on DVD.  I bought the boxed set, which includes :

* ILSA: SHE WOLF OF THE S.S.
* ILSA THE WICKED WARDEN
* ILSA: HAREM KEEPER OF THE OIL SHEIKS

However, it does not include ILSA: TIGRESS OF SIBERIA

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2007, 07:53:37 PM »

Saw GRINDHOUSE Saturday evening at the 6:45 viewing and only 10 people showed up. Enjoyed PLANET TERROR and all the intermission/trailer stuff. DEATH PROOF had a couple good parts that also had me totally confused as to how it all fit together. There seemed to be 2 totally different films in DEATH PROOF with both of them starring Kurt Russell and his car. His role was good, but the whole girl dialogue was the worst. The car scenes must take up only 15 minutes of the whole film. The only thing the car scenes did was give the viewer an appreciation for the two cars involved. Six of the ten people in the theater walked out during DEATH PROOF. No kidding.

GRINDHOUSE (8 out of 10 Stars) - It was  neat getting to see 2 films and fake trailers Tarantino/Rodriquez style. Overall a great film event worth the price of admission.

PLANET TERROR (8 out of 10 Stars) - The female character Cherry was the best and the whole film was exceptionally bloody and funny.

DEATH PROOF (6 out of 10 Stars) - Kurt Russell was good. Female dialogue was bad.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 11:24:15 AM by Scott » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Just saw GRINDHOUSE. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.