Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:45:49 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Gamestop Movies « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gamestop Movies  (Read 4177 times)
Fausto
Bad Movie Lover

« on: April 08, 2007, 10:56:29 AM »

This weekend I got three movies from gamestop for 8 bucks:

Homecoming: Zombies rise from the grave...to vote. Not the greatest of the Masters of Horror, but certainly enjoyable, and worth the two bucks I paid.  Smile

The Man who Knew too much: Never seen it. Heard about it, but never seen it. It has joel and ethan coen's name attached to it, so its gotta have something going for it, though the two dollar price tag may be cause for alarm (it was buy two, get one free, so technically I didnt waste any money if it sucks).  Question

Blue Velvet: A masterpiece, one of my all-time favorites, and certainly worth more than the six bucks they were asking. If you havent seen this film, rent or buy a copy and see it asap.  Thumbup

"When I die, I hope you will use my body creatively." - Shin Chan

"Tonight, we will honor the greatest writers in America with a modest 9 by 12 certificate and a check for three thousand dollars...three thousand dollars? Stephen King makes more than that for writing boo on a cocktail napkin." - Jimmy Breslin
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 11:02:05 AM »

The MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH: I saw the two versions by Hitchcock,(Own the one with Peter Lorre) but was unaware of a remake.Huh!
 I agree with BLUE VELVET...Dennis Hopper and Dean dtockwell are GREAT...!!!!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Mr_Vindictive
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 08:43:24 AM »

I've seen Homecoming and Blue Velvet.  As RC mentioned, I didn't realize there was a remake of A Man Who Knew Too Much.

Homecoming is pretty fun.  It's a great little satire, and Joe Dante handles it with ease.  It shouldn't have been a masters of horror episode though, in my opinion.  There's too much satire, and not much horror.  Despite that, it's still enjoyable.

Blue Velvet is still to this day, an amazing piece of film.  Everything about it is near perfect.  I still quote the "love letter" line quite often.   Smile

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
soylentgreen
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 07:45:38 PM »

There's a Gamestop right next to our local WalMart.  I rent most videogames first and since most can be beaten within the week, I rarely buy 'em(GTA's, RATCHET & CLANK and SLY COOPER being the exceptions).

I do get quite a few DVDs there though.  Thumbup  My wife refers to it as 'Used Movie Stop'.

Picked up quite a few beauts from there....
Corman's DILLINGER(Now I'm on the prowl for his ST VALENTINES DAY MASSACRE!)
SQUIRM
EIGHT MEN OUT
BATTLEFIELD EARTH(for a song...for a SONG!)
James Toback's FINGERS

That's my driver's license picture....I hate that picture!"
Fausto
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 12:38:48 PM »

Oops, sorry, wrong title, it wasnt the man who Knew too much, it was "The Man who Wasnt There" a made for tv film noir. Pretty good, actually, just dont expect a happy ending.  Lookingup

"Tonight, we will honor the greatest writers in America with a modest 9 by 12 certificate and a check for three thousand dollars...three thousand dollars? Stephen King makes more than that for writing boo on a cocktail napkin." - Jimmy Breslin
Oldskool138
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 12:45:13 PM »

Oops, sorry, wrong title, it wasnt the man who Knew too much, it was "The Man who Wasnt There" a made for tv film noir. Pretty good, actually, just dont expect a happy ending.  Lookingup

*****Spoilers******

Fausto, do to think that Billy Bob's character was an alien sent to earth to research the human condition...or something like that?  That would explain his general malaise and detached attitude.  Just my thoughts.  I could be wrong.  It still is an underrated film.

*****Spoilers end******

He learned almost too late that man is a feeling creature... and because of it, the greatest in the universe........
-Dr. Paul Nelson (Peter Graves)

That gum you like is going to come back in style.
-The Man from Another Place
Fausto
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007, 03:19:07 PM »

*****Spoilers******

Fausto, do to think that Billy Bob's character was an alien sent to earth to research the human condition...or something like that?  That would explain his general malaise and detached attitude.  Just my thoughts.  I could be wrong.  It still is an underrated film.

*****Spoilers end******

*****Spoilers*******

Could be. The film never makes it clear if the UFO at the end was real or a dream, and his being an alien would certainly explain a lot. At first, I had thought the aliens were going to kidnap him, thus saving him from the chair. His being an alien hadnt crossed my mind, though it makes sense. It would actually be kind of poetic, since it would mean that Big Dave's wife had been right all along - her husband really was killed by an alien, and she wasnt a nutcase (In fact, the alien had been in front of her the whole time!).

After I read your post, I started looking around the internet for what people had wrote about the film, and there are more than a couple of theories about what it all means. One is that Thorton's character is actually gay, and there's actually a substantial amount of evidence that could support this, such as his indifference to the affair and confession to not having sex for several years. The one thing that is certain, however, is that it is clearly based on existentialism and existentialist beliefs, in that the character's main goal is to find his own place in the scheme of things.

This is probably the best explanation:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0243133/board/thread/3823834

*******End Spoilers********
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 03:25:20 PM by Fausto » Logged

Oldskool138
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2007, 04:41:17 PM »

*****Spoilers*******

Could be. The film never makes it clear if the UFO at the end was real or a dream, and his being an alien would certainly explain a lot. At first, I had thought the aliens were going to kidnap him, thus saving him from the chair. His being an alien hadnt crossed my mind, though it makes sense. It would actually be kind of poetic, since it would mean that Big Dave's wife had been right all along - her husband really was killed by an alien, and she wasnt a nutcase (In fact, the alien had been in front of her the whole time!).

After I read your post, I started looking around the internet for what people had wrote about the film, and there are more than a couple of theories about what it all means. One is that Thorton's character is actually gay, and there's actually a substantial amount of evidence that could support this, such as his indifference to the affair and confession to not having sex for several years. The one thing that is certain, however, is that it is clearly based on existentialism and existentialist beliefs, in that the character's main goal is to find his own place in the scheme of things.

This is probably the best explanation:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0243133/board/thread/3823834

*******End Spoilers********

*****Spoil-o-rama******

I don't think he was gay because he was offended when the dry cleaning guy made a pass at him.  Even if he was and was deep in the closet, I think he probably would have accepted the guy's proposal.

I like my alien theory.  The evidence is there: When the woman comes to his house after the dinner party, the overall weirdness of his character (seems to be slightly out of sync with the world), the UFO.  I like watching this movie thinking that Billy Bob is an alien.

*****Spoiler-a-go-go Ends*****

He learned almost too late that man is a feeling creature... and because of it, the greatest in the universe........

Raffine
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2007, 04:50:12 PM »

Even if he was and was deep in the closet, I think he probably would have accepted the guy's proposal.

Then again: that guy wasn't exactly George Clooney.  Buggedout BounceGiggle

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Oldskool138
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2007, 04:56:00 PM »

Even if he was and was deep in the closet, I think he probably would have accepted the guy's proposal.

Then again: that guy wasn't exactly George Clooney.  Buggedout BounceGiggle

BounceGiggle BounceGiggle

True, true...but it would think if you were a fruit back in the 50's it would be catch-as-catch-can.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Gamestop Movies « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.