Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:17:49 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Wikipedia - now this is interesting « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Wikipedia - now this is interesting  (Read 11292 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2007, 05:31:01 PM »

I would like to think the site is more than your normal description of a "personal site."  If nothing else, the forum is a huge resource.  Nothing has ever expanded my knowledge of our type of movies like reading this forum for the last seven years or so.

I think what we are also seeing is the "Wild West" phase of Wikipedia.  A lot of stuff will be done off the cuff, with no precedent to cover it.  What concerns me now is how often Wikipedia is used as a reference.  I can understand why some schools disallow it as a reference.  Time will tell how the online tome of knowledge matures.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Andrew
Administrator

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2007, 09:25:23 PM »

Andrew, what this site needs is its own Wikipedia page. Many other sites, like Rotten Tomatoes, have write-ups.

I am sure one will turn up sooner or later.  I have not been keeping an eye on it, but the page could be one written by someone who dislikes me on a personal level just as easily as someone who likes the site.  In fact, people often take action against something that they dislike.

To be fair, these days I receive far more friendly emails than hateful.  Either the Internet has changed or something about the site has changed.  It could also be my writing.  I do not threaten to kick people's a**es that often anymore.  The last was, what, the "Cavegirl" review?

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Menard
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2007, 09:38:51 PM »

I do not threaten to kick people's a**es that often anymore.

I do. TeddyR
Raffine

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2007, 10:47:43 AM »

I nominate Mernard as BadMovies.org Public Relations Exec/Spokesmodel.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Menard
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2007, 10:59:55 AM »

I nominate Menard as BadMovies.org Public Relations Exec/Spokesmodel.

I am truly honored and I shall do my best to represent this site and forum to others as a collection of people just like me; they will flock in droves to the site.
Andrew
Administrator

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2007, 11:03:22 AM »

I am certain that, somewhere in the bylaws, I have line item veto power.  Time to blow the dust off of those and find the exact page it is on.  I think it is right before the mandate that all forum posters wear berets when posting.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Captain Tars Tarkas
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2007, 10:47:56 PM »

Many of the Wikipedia admins have ego problems, and their actions far outshine the many who want to do a good job on the site.  I got into a revert war over one entry with some guy who accused me of "wikistalking" him and called me Chad.  I have no idea who Chad is, but I thought it was funny he was freaking out so much so I kept reveting it back (and his information was wrong, anyway)  They recently had a big fight where around 12 admins deleted almost every photo over copywrite issues (ignoring fair use cases as well)  One of my favorite hobbies is to look up articles like "Bat" and "Batman" to see which one has the most information  (Batman wins by a landslide)

Raffine

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2007, 10:57:30 PM »

One of the funniest things I've ever seen on Wikipedia was someone dismissing imdb as an "unreliable" source for an article on a film that hasn't been made yet.

BounceGiggle

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2007, 04:58:03 PM »

I nominate Menard as BadMovies.org Public Relations Exec/Spokesmodel.

I am truly honored and I shall do my best to represent this site and forum to others as a collection of people just like me; they will flock in droves to the site.

PR flack, yeah, he's got the right disposition for that. Hell, I say make him the next White House Press Secretary, regardless of which party wins. He'd be more fun than any in recent memory, for sure.

Spokesmodel? Nah we need a scream queen for the job, or based on avatar I nominate Poogie. Like the real Elvira's all that busy these days anyway, she could use the proxy attention, probable trademark be damned.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2007, 11:11:37 AM »

While some schools disallow it, I think some schools do allow it, but the information cited has to be backed up by another source.

I use it, when I am on the computer. When I am on the computer and looking for information, it is easier to bring up Wikipedia, then it is to get out of the chair and look for the information in an encyclopedia.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2007, 03:24:05 AM »

BounceGiggle

I second or third the nomination of Dr Menard as our PRO. TeddyR

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
flackbait

The fate of the last door to door salesmen

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2007, 06:46:01 PM »

At my highschool it's really based on the teacher. Some let you use it, while others don't. Although it's reliability is questionalble it still is easier than trying to search google for the same info.

Although I'm definitaly a new guy around here, from what I've seen of Menard I'll throw in a vote for him as PR.
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Wikipedia - now this is interesting « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.